Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

icebridge 2011?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: icebridge 2011? Reply with quote

Happy New Year BBI! Any ice out there?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good title to use for ice updates. The ice is in right now but don't go near it. No one knows how thick it is, but probably totally unsafe.

I called and left a reminder message at the town hall that someone needs to call the Coast Guard. I do believe the township calls the Soo Station. I know that was the way it was in the past. Of course the Coast Guard will not take anyone's word for it. This gives them something to do in the winter. They will no doubt have to do a fly over to actually see what we can see. Then they have to confer with higher up people and lower down people and ice experts and have meetings, etc. etc. Then yes maybe, it really is ice out there. Then comes the week long notice to mariners that on a certain date the South Channel will close. That means, for ships, that if you want to have some ice breaking fun, you better hurry on up to the Straits before it closes.

No, I'm just joking. It wouldn't be like that at all, would it. Ha Ha
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was wrong on it being a week to close the channel. It is a 72 hour notice to mariners. Who knows how the Coast Guard will actually do it, but supposedly the start time was set at 10 a. m. this morning. Therefore, supposedly, it will close Thursday at 10 a. m.

There is an East wind coming tomorrow, Tuesday the 11th. We will see how that holds up.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Channel is closed Reply with quote

The channel is closed to boat traffic.
A careful check was made out IN Sand Bay. Go 100 feet and drill a hole and check with a tape measure. The maximum thickness was 5 inches and the minimum was 4 inches. That is to a point about 1/2 mi out from shore on Jan. 13, 2011.
There has been no hard freeze lately, just getting down in the 10 to 20 degree range at night. A storm is coming for the weekend.
That is as far as things have got.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Mike! Very Happy
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Our wise Coast Guard Reply with quote

Our wise Coast Guard Checked to see if ice was forming, before closing the channel, by driving the Mackinaw though it. That is what I have been told. I guess telling use that they did it would have been too much trouble.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding me , they took the Mackinaw up through the straits.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Rumor Reply with quote

That was a rumor going around. One of Fullerton's pilots is the supposed starter of it, so I have been told. By me posting it here, I suppose people will continue to fly, even if there is good ice.

I woke up this morning and took the dogs for their walk. I looked out across the channel and the tree line went all the way over. Must be some desperate people needing to get to town without having to spend $80 one way. Or maybe the Leprechaun's came early.

I'm going to go out today and check their work.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Did you get the rest of the trees in? It looked pretty flat out there is it like that all the way.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE...I got that new F-1000 for Christmas and ride it like I stoltit Shocked I don't need the last 15-20 trees...thing just skips across water anyway...SEE you in a couple of weeks. The bar will be open and the Landing for gas...AWESOME!!!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilots say that the ice is not good, and I say, did they check the ice thickness every 100 feet or so from the air.

The ice bridge is officially open from shore to shore. It is a faster ride this year. Ice will be building thickness in the next few days on top of the solid 6 inches there right now.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last clear satellite image is for the 14th. The ice is out in front of Pointe Aux Pins, so I advise taking no short cuts. Ice is gone from the Pines area, and east, due to a strong east wind yesterday. This is normal. It comes and it goes. The tree line was not effected by it.

Here is a link to the MODIS images taken daily.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: saturday jan 22nd crossing Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info and updates. Planning on xc skiing across Saturday.. would greatly appreciate any thoughts/feedback y'all have about the bridge and if it can or should be crossed. Who do I contact about parking for the day on the mainland? Thanks!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Ride Reply with quote

Here is one option that Lani and I discovered last year.

Your can park at the airport and take the Straits Regional Ride bus down to Pries Landing. The buses are located right there at the airport. You need to call ahead usually to schedule when you want to go.

Their numbers are:
231-597-9262
866-731-1204

The cost to go less than 5 miles is $4 full fare and for the older ones $2.
They will help you load all your stuff on and off too.

Last year we would call from the island and tell them to pick us up at a certain time at Pries. Then we judged the time we had to leave to get to Pries on schedule. Returning, we called from the grocery store and met them at the airport, where they loaded up our ton of stuff and returned use to Pries. Total for the both of use was $8 round trip.
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: parking Reply with quote

Sounds great, thanks Mike!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Proctor just on the Old Mackinaw right by the Pres rd. He told me last year if the islanders want to leave there car there he would plow a big area there for them. I don't know what he would charge but he is a nice guy and I don't think it would be as much as you usedd to pay.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Parking Reply with quote

Yes! We really need a spot closer to Pries to park. I'll have to look up that guys number.

I made an inspection by looking out from the island after this last blow and snow. It is Friday and the temp is Zero at 9 am with a light breeze from the West. It is crispy beautiful out. As mentioned previously there is no ice at Pointe Aux Pins. If you go to the pavilion you can see a big U of water where the ice begins. This is a shining example of why the treeline is put in further West. All this is normal. Further West at VanVoorhees, no open water can be seen from the second floor porch. Further West at Sand Bay, from on top of my extension ladder, I see nothing but ice. Out only a short way, right across the treeline, there is now an expansion / contraction crack, right where the ice turns rough as you enter the bay. I know for a fact that, as of yesterday, where the ice had been 6 inches, now it is 8 inches in a spot in the middle. If you go to Pries, you can't see the line unless you look West toward Nipigon. I heard talk that there is open water to the West, so watch out. Satellite shows open water West near the bridge, but that is old information from before this last storm. Keep your eyes open. Have a great weekend.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

17 blow zero yesterday morning, Sun. Jan. 23rd., at Sand Bay. Last night in the local news, they said that the channel between Mackinac and Ste. Ignace was closed to shipping. This probably means that a tree line is going in over there.

This coming week, the weather is supposed to get up to thawing. The satellite pictures show thin ice [dark ice] at Pointe Aux Pins and other areas formed during this cold spell. That could go out again during the upcoming warm spell. If snow gets on it, it could trick you into thinking it is good ice when in fact it is bad ice. Be careful.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike how does it look right know any slush out there? How is the crack for a 4-wheeler? thursday the 27th I think
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Ice status Jan 27 Reply with quote

It is the 28th and 16 degrees at 8 am.. I can't tell you what the ice is like today because I haven't been out there. I can guess though that it may be excellent. I can tell you about yesterday, the 27th, because I made a trip to Cheboygan.

The crack as you enter Sand Bay was refrozen. The warmer weather, high 20's, didn't appear to affect the ice. As of yesterday, the snow is not all that deep and I detected no slush. The weather is turning back colder and any soft stuff will turn into a very good base. Can you believe it, I saw Ray Plaunt at McDonald's hamburger Joint. He wants to ice fish out in Sand Bay. He must be 90 or91 years young. He was asking the same questions as you.

The Twins were another story two days back. There were big areas where the snow was full of water and it was close to impossible to snowmobile though it. That also should end with colder weather coming back.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, is the mail going to the island by sled? plane?

Thanks for keeping us updated.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I was thinking the same thing about trying some fishing out by sand bay for some pirch.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosemary,
Yes, the mail has been coming via icebridge lately. I noticed that somwone put out a small sign that says, Plaunt's pay toll ahead. Made me smile.

Today, the 1st day of February, the ice thickness is 14 inches at the red Nun # 6, otherwise called the Zela Shoals Bouy. Toward the big bridge another mile or so it is 13 inches. All pretty smooth ice. The view from the Round Island Lighthouse was great too. We could see the M. Islanders going and coming on their trail across the channel. Very tempting.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad for the info. Thanks Mike....see you soon....can't wait to get to the island...........love it there.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Global Warming. Gets any warmer we can start crossing in November.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: