Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syndeek
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

My name is Cindy Kibilko and I think most of you might be familiar with my family. I am Bill Owens' oldest daughter and granddaughter of Dorothy and SL Owens. Marilyn Kidder is my aunt. I've lots of family that are on the Island regularly. 2010 was my first trip to the island in over 30 years. Thankfully not much has changed. I have lots of fond memories of the island and it is was my goal last year to introduce the island to my grandsons and get my Dad back up there. He too had been away for a very long time. We hope to return more often. The island is so peaceful and relaxing.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, Cindy! And back to BBI! She missed you.. Smile Funny how a well loved place can wrap you in warmth every time no matter the distance in time..
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy, I am Tony Babcock. When I was growing up on the island the Owens family was one of the families that we did work for and enjoyed being around. I did a little work for them when I worked for the Hoover Family. Your Grandma was always a kind and generous person. It is always good to go back to the island, fond memories of the people and things you did when we were young. My Dad Victor is still living there and many of my family still live there or own property and come up in the summer. I owen the place right behind the Hoover's tennis cort. Have a great day and hope to see you up there some time.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
syndeek
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you both for the welcome. I will try to look you up on our next trip up there. Tony, my Dad was looking forward to seeing Victor and Ray this past year but we were unable to get them together. I know they would all enjoy seeing each other again.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy the pictures that you put on were great. I did pick out a quite a few people who I knew. It was hard to reconize some. I was born in 1953 so some i could remember but some was about the time i was born.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics are great, but even more amazing is how well kept they are. They don't look like they were taken back when Gibby was in high school. I'm guessing the gentleman building the fireplace is Gene Babcock. Who else could make something like that out of a pile of rocks. And look like Victor at the same time...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone of those pictures was before I was in high school. And some before I was born. I like some that shouldn't be in color but are.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were asome......and like Big Al said. I can't belive how good shap they are in....are they slides?

Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - Neat pictures of the first boat I rode on in 1970!!

Last edited by Ron Petersen on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all the pictures ..since I was a native of the island these pictures mean so much to me !!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Historical Pictures Reply with quote

These pictures are historical and copies need to be put in the Historical Society Museum. As historian for the Society, I ask, please burn these to a CD or DVD for the island museum. You can send them to me and I will accession them for the museum. I already have a snug place to store images on CD or DVD at the museum.

Mike White
PO Box 861
Pointe Aux Pins, MI 49775

Ron, in one picture I recognize the Ada M, the first boat I rode to the island on in 1950. In other pictures, I also recognize my grandmother, Ila Calkins, and Roberta Babcock. Also my cousin, Connie Faye Feeley. Also, a very young Bert Gahn and Mick Caulkins. And others.

If I can get these pictures for the society, many of these people would be recorded.

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are such awesome pictures. Excellent!

History... Wonderful!

And the storm pictures are so chilling. Must have been so scary.
syndeek
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: You're all very welcome Reply with quote

These were all slides. My father is a professional photographer who started in high school and still lives with his camera around his neck. The island was one of his favorite subjects. He has a closet dedicated to his photos. My brother-in-law, Fred, was laid off for about 8 months and took on the project of scanning the slides, just under 10,000 of them. We found it amazing too what wonderful shape they were in. We have not yet begun to go through his prints that will be another monumental task. I've been enjoying this too. I will get these burned to a CD/DVD and get them in mail to you.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for doing that. Any pictures taken on BBI are welcome. Send a short biography about your grandparents and parents and you along with it. Then I can link the pictures to the family in the computer system.

Anyone else who has historical pictures can do the same thing. Try to give the names of the people in the picture if possible, but everything in the picture is important.
syndeek
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Homework Reply with quote

Mike, I can do that too. I hope to find a photo of the Hoover Community Building when it was built. Grandfather Owens designed it and Grandmother's painting is hanging over the fireplace. I've only started to go through the scanned slides. I'll give you a heads up when I've put the CD in the mail. Cindy
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

Thanks again.
Yes, I remember Shirley Owens supervising the community building project. I was there as the youngest worker involved in building that.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Cindy....I have been talking to Curt Plaunt and he is interested in any pics that have their boats in them they are updating their web site. It is so great seeing these old pics of the island, thanks so much for sharing.

pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Hello.
syndeek
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony and Mike, I've mailed a CD with pictures today to Mike. I'm sure Dad would be proud to have a photo posted on the Plaunt's wedsite. I'm sure we will find more good shots as we start to scan the photos. This has been my pleasure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: