Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

icebridge 2011?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has changed this weather in the last ten years or twenty years. It used to be you could count on ice crossing but now we are lucky to get crossing and it just doesn't last as long as it used to when we do get it. The snow that we get is just not as much as we used get or not even close. The great lakes is a sign of that, they are about 4' down from what they used to be. We just do not have that big run off of snow in the spring.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who all remembers the snowmobile races round the Island.. I know they had to stop doing them because the ice wasn't making and it stopped being dependable.. Am I remembering right?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is why they stopped. It was a great rase and sure brought a lot of sleds to the bar on the island. You were lucky to even get into the parking lot with your sled at the bar, it was so full.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man those poor sleds took a beating. Think it was the first year, when the race went over then around the island, then ended at the bar that Harold Reckinger almost met his maker. Either at Chapman's dock or Hoover's dock, he got too close or tried to go under the walkway? Seems Gibby was running right there with him. Am I remembering that correctly? You stopped to wait for him to make sure#1 that he was alright and #2 that you beat him on speed and not something else. I believe he "lowered his hood" about the heighth of a windshield that day. The next year the track looked like a giant triangle. At the Pines checkpoint, the riders would come in almost behind the Pines dock, whip a u turn and head back to the next checkpoint. Except that after about the first 4 or 5 sleds came through it was all water where they were trying to turn. They'd turn and head out and it looked like a jet boat taking off. Hilarious...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a pretty close there Alan. Harold machine was faster he had a 440 I had a 340 but he followed me the whole way until about 1/4 mi from chatman's dock then tried to fly under it hit a bump and the machine came up a little and he hit the bottom of the dock. I went under it too but I went slow. He would have beat me to the finish line if he wouldn't have crashed. It didn't matter to me because he was in a different class then I was. But it was kind of neet to be the first machine accross the finish line with a 340. But I still only won my class. I believe Bob Taylor won the 440 class. He was a good 15 minutes behind me though. I was just going over the newspapper cliping that my mother saved this week. And I couldn't walk for a week I was so sore.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snow or ice are nothing like it used to be when we were kids. I remember in high school my folks would let me go across the ice after dark all by myself and none of us thought a thing about it, the ice was that thick and we always had a huge buffer both on the west and east side of the island. The treeline aways came in to shore right there at our house. We didn't have to put it at Sand Bay then. We didn't have a tanker coming into the Cheboygan River every other week to deliver gas to the gas tanks. That's what keeps our east buffer gone now. I used to walk to town and my folks didn't worry. It's not a bit like that today. You just never know now if it'll be in when you wake up in the morning or not. As a kid, we could always depend on the ice bridge being in on or around January 10th. We're lucky now if we even have iceburgs on the shore by that date.

When the treeline came in right there at our house, I remember sitting in the kitchen window in the early evenings and looking out at the treeline and see lights leave the shore at Pries. I remember wonder who it was that was coming over. Sometimes it was someone that I was waiting for. But it was fun watching people come over and most of the time we would know who it was when they got close enough for us to identify.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Glare Ice Reply with quote

February 18th - Friday
The warm spell has reduced the snow on the channel to nothing. It is glare ice. The roads on the island are mud.
For those thinking of coming this weekend, these are the conditions.
Also, I hear that Hawks will not be open this Saturday.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping??? Surprised
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaky:

Camping???

sounds like a great weekend on the North Shore!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was good Clover. The other thing I can remember is watching the lights from snowmobiles clear from Pres, there would be 1-2 then 5-6 then 10 or more. And this went on all evening. And I can remember the snowmobiles at the bar there wouldn't be enough room for another one. I can remember our truck which would be totally under the snow in the yard, that was there till spring. The snow banks on the road was a lot higher then I was tall. And the first year I was in my house here in cordwood, I could walk up the snow bank and step over onto my roof. I can remember running over top of cars on the main roads in cheboygan and you didn't even know they were there. Every once in a while you would see this antena sticking out. I also remember once crossing the ice on the end of december. I do think it was the last day of december. Our crossing was about the second wk of Jan. every year. I used to cross when I was in high schlool right from stoney pt where i lived strait across to mom and dads house right by the store. took about 5 minutes.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clover do you remember KLF 3132
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: feb 20 2011 Reply with quote

Yesterday, Saturday, Al White and I made an ice crossing. Because there is almost no snow, I could look through the black ice and see the sides of the cracks that form in the ice. The ice is around 12 inches thick and it is clear strong stuff. The days when it was warm were cloudy ones, and I think that must help keep the ice from rotting. It had to be good ice to withstand the big wind we had. That 45 to 50 mile an hour wind, and warm weather, took out all the ice east of Pointe Aux Pins. We had a local flurry that put a tiny bit of snow on the ice to keep our tracks lubed. The pressure cracks were inactive. The crossing was great. Traffic very light. I'm now resupplied with milk and eggs.

Now, an east wind is expected and snow south of us. I will try to see how the ice holds against the east wind. Stay tuned.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Global Warming Reply with quote

Right guy, as you must know, unusual cold conditions here come from the north. Since cold is exiting the caps, inclimate warmth is invading the poles. Of course if you think that the polar caps are on another planet, there is no problem.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike does this mean that we come to your house for breakfast. Thanks for keeping us informed. Good Job
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kev, I do remember KLF 3132 and I also remember KNF 0460. Right? It's hard to remember yours and Sid's. They were so much the same.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Clover that is right theres had a 4 on the end, It is amazing how you can remember all those numbers I still no everbody's
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know, these were your ham radio numbers before phones, I hope.. Smile
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB radios.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Kevin Reply with quote

If you can make it over those humps near shore with that rig of yours, stop in. We will not be home today though.

The storm missed us and the ice bridge looks good, so it is our big shopping day via the treeline. The only thing to watch for is the crack humped up as you enter Sand Bay. Remember though folks, that this is subject to change without notice.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: return to Bois Blanc Reply with quote

On my return to Bois Blanc last evening at dusk, I thought Pointe Aux Pins was lit up exceptionally bright. Then I realized that it was a ship, lit up like a church. It caused quite a stir on BBI and it made me stop and find out the intentions of that ship before continuing across the ice bridge with my 100 pounds of groceries.

The ship anchored off Harrington's place at Pointe Aux Pins very close to shore. It was determined that it intended to go into Cheboygan the following day in daylight instead of darkness.

It was not a tug-barge arrangement like everyone is used to. It has the lines of an ocean going ship. I will post a picture, that is not too clear, due to flurries today. The picture was taken by the Harringtons.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a canadian tanker hauling fuel into cheboygan. It has been doing it since last year.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I see the picture?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: tanker Reply with quote

The picture is in the Album and can be seen on the home page. A good picture of the ship is in the Cheboygan Tribune today. You can see it at the paper's web site. There was an article written about the incident.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Mike just stopped by to let you know I am enjoying your winter posts again this year .
Brings back good memories , ones I do not care to repeat .. Smile
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Wondering Reply with quote

For those wondering about the ice bridge, it is still there and being used. We just got 6 or 8 inches of snow on top of it that may turn to slush. There are two major pressure cracks to watch out for. Stay alert if coming across.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: