Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

2011 assessment increases
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crahor
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: 2011 assessment increases Reply with quote

Anyone else see a BIG increase in assessed value for 2011 or were we just "lucky"?[/b]
gene pluhar
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we sure did and in view of whats going on in this state with property values etc, help us understand this increase, eventually it all equals a TAX increase!?
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that too......what does this all mean?????

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an increase on my cabin and a big one on property I bought......how do we fight this. I lost lots of value on my home down state and my esement went down. Is the island not part of what is happenning all over the country?

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, a few sales on the island, when included by the assessor in the calculation of property values, makes it appear as if the value of property on the island increased quite a bit. Because the assessed value should reflect the value of the property (i.e., if you multiply the assessed value by 2, it should in theory give you the true market value of the property. The problem is that on an island like ours that does not have many sales on which to base the new assessment, I think the values can be really skewed--and that may well have happened.

Note, however, that while your Assessed Value may have gone up quite a bit, the Taxable Value--which is the value that the actual amount in tax you will pay will be based on--should only have increased by about 1.7%--meaning your taxes would rise by about 1.7%. The exception is that if you added anything to your property like an addition, garage, etc., that could increase the taxable value as well.

Given the way other property has dropped, I would be surprised if the island's value really increased, especially as much as the assessed values indicate. But the only thing to do is appeal.

By the way, while the calculations on the property tax bills are correct, the notice has a few minor errors that are a bit confusing. (e.g., refers in some places to 2009 when it should be 2010 and it also incorrectly references an increase of .997 when it should be 1.0171 (if my memory is correct).
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My year round Home value in Flushing is almost identical to my cottage on BBI, except for a difference of 780 sq ft less on the island and 4 acres of ground less. My Flushing tax value for 2011 went down $4,400. and my island tax value went up $7,400.!!! Looks like the Island Board of review is going to be very busy. Downstate we are 5 miles from I-75, 5 miles from full time fire and police, paved roads, city water, and a school tax that is much higher than BBI. Cottage is not even fully finished inside, it is missing the 32 x 40 pole barn I have here, and I am on a 2-track there. There is no rationalization for this.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rationalization what so ever.

Crazy for sure. Who does the assessments? Have they no clue to what is going on everywhere? Do those that live on the island have the same type of assessments? Are their taxes up/down/same? Is the value of their homes down/up? Like Cindy said, downstate we are paying for things close at hand, necessities. The island is a vacation spot for most of us with none of these.

I hope for the sake of the island that this will not cause people to let their vacation homes-property go. Then who will pay? Then what will happen to the things they do have for those that live there? "The Island Board of Review" should do some real hard rationalizing and come down to reality. It must be hard to do what they have to do or are doing. I would not want to have to decide for others as to what money they have to pay.

Our country is in real big trouble and sad to say alot more are feeling the effect now. So many think it can't or won't happen to them.

We too had the wrong dates on our tax bills and the first person we spoke with for a correction acted a little put off as to why we wanted a correction and the second tax bill that we requested was wrong as well and the second person we spoke with about this kind of laughed it off. Not Good!
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only rich people can afford vacation homes. Time to pay up.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have served on Board of Reviews in the past... So be prepared for this question.. Would you sell your property for the taxable assessment X 2 ? Your answer to that question and others will determine how seriously they look at your request.. BTW What we pay down state will have NO bearing on what the Board will take in consideration... Just my 2Cents worth.. Shocked Good Luck to all.

Uncle Steve
Tom Freye
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: INCREASE Reply with quote

There does appear to be a big problem. Much larger increase percentage wise than on my property down state, and I plan to appeal. Tom
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to appeal too......go to the township website and there is a place that you can print out a doc. to fill out for the appeal.

Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug it is good to see you on here again. Miss our good agruments. You never did tell me did you concede our you still holding strong. HA!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only rich people can afford vacation homes???

All we have is property and by no means are we rich.......

You say "Time to Pay Up?"

We have been paying and now they want more?????

I still am curious as to what the year round residents have going on with them? More-less-same?
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad still lives there and they are seeing the same increases we are. I bought more poperty this year and I know I got a good deal on it but not as good a deal as they think. My increase from taxable by the original owner and what hare is 1000%......not 5% not 10% not even 100% but 1000%.......how can that be.....I paided what I paid for it and they believe it is worth %1000....
Now my cabin I paid $18,000 for it. I put about $1,000 into it and our labbor finishing the inside. No changes out side and the inside was almost done, I just changed some of the layout etc....they are telling me by my taxes that it is worth $46,000.......I can't even get insurance on it because it has an atached older moble home.....
Nom my hom down state I can't even sell for what I owe.... #Mad

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can call Joan Schroka....she will tell you the website to get a form...You need to print it out, fill it out, and fax it to 231-634-7021.

Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I get the feeling some people think year round residents get special consideration.. Factually they don't.. They are required to jump through the same hoops as everyone else.. Hope that helps.. Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: taxes Reply with quote

I live here and no changes have been made to my property. Last year the state mandated Inflation Rate Multiplier was 0.997 . When my taxable value was multiplied by that figure it reduced it. This multiplier used to be called the CPI [consumer price index]. The local assessor has nothing to do with it.

This year the Inflation Rate Multiplier is still 0.997 on my notice. When last years taxable value is multiplied by that figure my taxable value should have gone down a tiny amount. That did not happen, but instead went up right at 7%. I think there has been an error made.

It is truly hard to believe that the IRM went up to over 1.0000 as Doug mentioned. If the multiplier is a 7% increase in taxable values, then someone in State government is screwing Michigan property owners big time. There was no cost of living or inflation rate increase for Social Security was there. A 7% increase in taxable value on every property owner in Michigan will increase the school taxes going to the state big time. That, coupled with a huge reduction in per pupil funding, should get the state back on track for that state fund. So, I suppose we taxpayers should be happy. You want the state to balance the budget don't you?

For those who bought property last year, that is a transfer in ownership, and the State Equalized Value is then used to calculate a new Taxable Value. Sorry.
tlower
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Taxes Reply with quote

Just needed to get in my two cents worth. Our BBI Assessed Value went up $9,500!!! Would we sell it for 2X the assessed value? ...OMG YES! Get out your check book!! The only good thing I can say about assessments are, our home downstate WENT DOWN by $20,000. Our home township supervisor fired the assessment company we were using and is re-assessing every property. By the way, full time island residents pay the same, you can look it up on Mac County website. One question...who do we appeal to if the board shoots us down?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our taxes freeze at age 65 here in Texas on our home ~~~It is also protected by the homestead act .....

guess I better let mom know what to do with her increase tax's there .....
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure who you appeal to after the appeal is denied. Maybe someone else does.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I want to correct what I said earlier. It is not a 7% increase. It was only a 1.016985536% increase in taxable value. I'm not so excited now. I re-read Doug's post and then my own and saw my mistake. Sorry folks.

The assessed value, that is done by the assessor, went up by a multiplier or factor of 1.082309582 . That IS a 8.23% increase. I don't pay much attention to it, because that is not what I pay taxes on. If I ever sold, the buyer would be looking at that figure though, because that is what the buyer would have to start paying taxes on.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that 8% increase in assessed value is simply too high, I do not blame Joan because I think she is required to make her calculations based on the rules set forth in the assessor/ manual that all assessors in Michigan must follow.

As I said in my earlier post, I think the problem is that, because the Island is a pretty small place that does not have many sales each year, a few sales can really skew the amount that property supposedly increased in value.

I have not looked at this in any detail and so may be wrong. But as others have posted, given that property values almost everywhere in Michigan plummeted this past year, it is unlikely that our values increased 8%.

But as I think Steve said, you have to honestly evaluate whether you believe your house is worth 2 times the assessed (not taxable) value on your tax bill. If it is not worth that, you should consider appealing.

Rosemary, if you appeal to the local board of review and lose (and in my experience in other places you always lose at that level), I think your next step is to appeal to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. Keep in mind that, because so many are appealing to the Tribunal, it will take a very long time to get a hearing. Also, if you are going to appeal, you really need to do your homework by comparing any sales of property that is similar to yours. This can be tough because it can be hard to find comparables. By the way, a good website for seeing what is happening with home prices is zillow.com. That site gives you info about your property, properties near you that have sold, Zillow's estimate of what your property and nearby properties are worth, etc.

Finally, remember again that the actual property taxes you pay are based upon the taxable value on the bill and not the assessed value. So a high assessed value does not, at least in the short run, cost you anything. And if you are trying to get a home equity loan based on the value of the property, a high assessed value might even be off some value--especially if the taxable value is low.

One last thing--one of the real benefits on the island is that, even for those of us who cannot claim a principal residence exemption on our island property, the mills we pay on the island compared to what is paid in many other places in Michigan is significantly lower. Correct me if I am wrong, Mike, but I think we only pay about 4 of the 18 mills that most non-homesteaders pay.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many children are in the island school? Is there any talk as to what will happen-changes with the school due to the decrease in $'s per student? The school's everywhere are hurting. The schools here are closing, consolidating, etc.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: taxes Reply with quote

I was the accountant for the school district for quite a while when there was the possibility that the school would close. I found that mistakes had been made and that the school operating millage should have been locked at a little over 5 mills when Prop A went into effect. Instead it got locked at 4.1 mills and the state had a provision that mistakes could not be corrected.

That 4.1 mills is the lowest school operating millage in the state. I made a projection that at a certain point the non-homestead revenue would exceed what the state allows, and the district would have to lower the millage. I heard that it has been lowered as predicted. Non-homesteads did pay 4.1 mills on the 2010 winter taxes. It may be less this coming year.

I, and other homestead residents, are exempt from paying that millage. No one has any voice in changing it. All power, over revenue, at the local level, was stripped away with prop A.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike ,
Just for fun... What would we have to pay in millage if we didn't have the school,,and had to pay for cheboygan school district.. Then we would be killed in tax hike , right ? Question

Uncle Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: