Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

GPS Coordinates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: GPS Coordinates Reply with quote

I'll be visiting the island soon and I was wondering if anybody has, or knows of any GPS, Latitude/Longitude, or GMaps KML locations for stuff on the island.

I vaguely remember how to get to things like the large rock and some old gravestones. But does anybody have any coordinates, or anything that references these locations?

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Mike White, Kacy.. He Geo Caches. Or check out geocaching for Michigan.. Some BBI stuff is on there I think.. There will be smarter people responding for you I bet.. Smile
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh yes, if you're into Geocaching, the ole' SwampStalker (Mike White) has some doozies...or at least he used to.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What position format and map datum would you like? What places are you most interested in?
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone handles lat & long coordinates natively.
I'm basically looking for cool and interesting things on the island to hike to / photograph.

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "the island" I'm sure you mean Bois Blanc. Mike used to have, not sure if he still does, an "extra curricular" "island" location.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most come here to look out on the lake vistas. Very few want to go into the jungle. Maybe the bugs have something to do with it. Here are some easy ones.

This is right along the North Shore Rd. I like the ferns there in gullies formed in a very steep bluff. You walk to the base of it.

N 45D 47' 53.3"
W 84D 28' 36.8"
Map Datum WGS84

Another easy walk is up an old trail. On the North Shore, West of the BBI Club houses and East of the creek, where a beaver dam is upstream, is the start of the trail and a place to park. Go inland up into the hardwoods and look right or West and see an opening. Walk over to it, but take note of the location of your trail for your return to it.

There is a spot where a small stream disappears into the ground.

N 45D 48' 8.1"
W 84D 29' 58.6"

Follow the stream inland and notice a big ridge. Go to it and head westerly on it. I call this place Marsh Point.

N 45D 47' 45.9"
W 84D 30' 18.9"

I think the distance one way all the way to Marsh Pt. is around a mile.

Have fun exploring.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read your original question and see that you asked for some specific locations.

The big rock
N 45D 45' 53.4"
W 84D 22' 23.7"

I don't have the McRae - Kerr Cemetery, sorry. There is a good path to it though. Half the fun is in the exploration anyway.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, The Mystery Spot.. Yes! Take note of the trail! We overshot it one time and the going wasn't so easy getting back to the North Shore.. Smile It is an excellent hike though and the marsh behind..
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this topic for GPS coord's to McRae Kerr cemetery
http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=268

http://www.bridge-view.net
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craters or sinkholes? That is the question. There are three. To see them you first need to know how to get to the east-west railroad grade.

Going northerly on Fire Tower Rd. You will get on a stretch that is fairly straight going westerly. That part is actually the base line road following the center survey line of the island. There is a point where the main road turns sharp right and leaves the base line. At the turn, the base line trail continues straight ahead. Take the base line trail westerly only a very short way and you will see a trail going left or southerly. That trail is called the Beaver Dam Road. Take Beaver Dam Rd. and wind your way south for quite a way until suddenly you will find yourself at a crossroad. that crossroad is the east-west railroad. Turn left or easterly on it. Another option is park right there and walk. With a 4-wheeler, you can drive right to the largest sinkhole. there is an old road that goes right or southerly off the railroad grade maybe half a mile down it east from where the crossroad is. That trail makes it easy to get to the big hole in the island.

N 45D 45' 23.5"
W 84D 26' 59.7"

If you want to see the smallest one, stay on the RR grade easterly and go to a spot were the little sinkhole is north of the grade. this is the easiest one to walk to off the grade.

N 45D 45' 47.3"
W 84D 26' 41.4

The middle sized sinkhole is the hardest and is between the other two.
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are perfect, thank you!

Facebook Profile
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: GPS Coordinates Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that will be a fun to find the railroad grades, always wondered how to find them. Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: