Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Octagon House Info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Octagon House Info? Reply with quote

The following e-mail was sent to me. Can anybody help her out?
Quote:

HI

I was wondering if you could shed any light on the octagon house I found mention of in a 1977 newspaper. I'm attaching it with this mail.

I am hoping to locate more info what the address was. Builder , status etc. As well as a photo of the home for website use only.

I am working with Robert Kline on the (non profit) Octagon Inventory online with pictures and info to collect and preserve the history of 19th century octagon architecture. His website is at:

http://www.octagon.bobanna.com/MI.html

Through a joint effort between our website and local societies, many "unknown" octagon houses have been discovered in the past 3 years.

Several dozen Historical societies and libraries have donated information and vintage photos to our educational, non profit website. Any info you can provide would help us in our efforts to compile the most comprehensive source of information about Octagon Houses ever.

I wrote a book on all known octagon houses but the website is an ongoing project.

Any info would be appreciated and we would, of course, credit you as the source. We hope to catalog every 19th century octagon house built in the US/Canada.
Thank you.

Ellen L Puerzer
author of
The Octagon House Book

member of:
Bay View Historical Society
Soldiers Home Foundation
North Point Lighthouse Friends docent.

...her attachment did not come through with her e-mail.

http://www.bridge-view.net
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: The Octagon Reply with quote

The Octagon was built by Rev. Paul Ziegler. In his journal for the year 1903, he mentions that on July 25 - finished partitions in the upper story of Octagon, and moved from Bide-a-Wee cottage.

The Octagon was originally at the rear of a much larger building that Paul also built. Paul mentions in his journal in 1905, that his family moved out of the Octagon and into the rear upstairs room of the larger building.

Both building were two stories and were clad with birch bark. The birch bark is still on the buildings over 100 years later.

The octagon was moved onto a lot next door. Both places are presently owned by Ed Sandell, a descendant of the original owner.

I will upload a newspaper picture as the cottages were in 1971. Look in the history section of the album on this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: