Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I want to know what you did....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: I want to know what you did.... Reply with quote

What did everyone do on the Island this summer and what are your plans for next year, as far as going to the Island? This is obviously for people who don't live there, but Islanders are welcome to make comments or suggestions....

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only made it to the Island once this summer. Camped for 4 days. My favorite thing is going to the north shore, also visited the historical museum. Hopefully next year will be able to visit more often. Any time on the Island is a good time. Laughing
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got up to the Island in the Spring to get my long awaited picture of a Bloodroot.. Hiked with Mike as much as possible and the trip to Round Island was stellar! Smile

We went for our annual prigrimage for the Cousin's Reunion at Sand Bay in July.. The weather ended up wonderful and a great time was had by all..

I hope to get up there one more time this year but it looks doubtful.. We are short at work and the rest of us are working overtime.. No asking for time off right now.. Sad

I really miss the Island.. To me the Island feels like home..
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove from Tennessee for Our Reunion as Susie spoke. I got to stay in an awesome cabin, visit with family, watch my kids and my dog enjoy everything. I got to watch as my son's friends enjoyed the Island for the first and second time. I never have enough time to do all I wanted...same as Susie, it seems like home. I intend to come back up again next year for the reunion again and have some more fun...Fun in the Sun on the Island. Oh, did I mention the weather was Perfect! It rained alittle on the last day!

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is Mike gonna start doing tours?

Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al'sOtherSister wrote:
When is Mike gonna start doing tours?

I have wondered the same thing! I think it would fly.

http://www.bridge-view.net
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it to the island twice this year, once with the family on Memorial Day weekend to open the cottage, and again for a weekend in the middle of June to do some home repairs before the first renters. Renters occupied our place for most of the rest of the summer. Business was up a little this year compared to last.

While we were there as a family, Kate (8 1/2) and Claire (turned 6 while we were there) both got their first driving lessons; I had to work the pedals for Claire. Very Happy In the midst of Kate's driving lesson we spotted a pair of Sandhill Cranes in the maples by Sand Bay Rd. We got out and snapped a couple of pictures.
Image 2774

After pushing the girls as fast as I could, I missed the jump to get on the merry-go-round and still have a nice scar on my shin to prove it. Rolling Eyes

I also managed to snag a couple of lightning pics. One of which landed me Grand Champion at the county fair Very Happy
Image 2757

What about everybody else?

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics and what did the girls say when you went down?! LOL!
Was it your porch that had the bats this summer? Mike and I went to a renter's rescue, it was fun and exciting! Nice to see you Mr Rob!

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn...did you camp on the North Shore?

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Mike is waiting til he is old and not so many cabins to open. He is always a busy guy.

DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't camp on the north shore, just took in the scenery and found some old foundations while walking through the woods. I doubt if I could find them again. I camped on the east end at some property.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondered if you met my friends, the North shore Raccoon Gang. East end huh? Nice! This past summer I did not camp out. I have camped with the family on the North Shore before, racoons, biting flies and poison Ivy. I think I will find another place or stick close to Mike's on Sand Bay!
Mike, do you know what foundations she found? This is interesting.....

katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, your lighting pics were AMAZING. My brother sent them to me and they LITERALLY blew my mind....for real. My mind is gone.

One of my favorite things I did this year was go to the West End for the 4th of July fireworks. I have never done this before. It was like Lord of the Flies. There was fire in every direction and children were running wild. I saw kids lighting bottle rockets in their hands. It was fantastic. I couldn't believe how many people were there! Lee Maynard rounded us up and we made a game time decision to head out there....last in, first out. It was great. I want to make this a new Shannon family tradition.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awesome....
I remember a time we had a fire at sand bay and everyone was pretty much as you described. There was a guy at the fire with a guitar and I shot a bottle rocket (we were playing bottle rocket tag at the time). It went right in the hole of his guitar! No harm, no foul, but very funny!

Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie, thanks, I feel lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to get those shots. I've never been to the west end to see the fireworks, Kirsten and the girls went a couple summers ago and said it was awesome.

Lisa, it was our porch that the bats. It seems our renters didn't like their company. Shrug Thanks to you and Mike for rescuing them from certain death. Very Happy

Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

literally, they thought they were going to be attacked and bitten. I don't know if they said anything to you, but I was up on a ladder making bat noises and I think they thought I was crazy. About a foot away from said 'killers in the night'
More caulking, or fresh caulking is what Mike suggested. We were working with limited resources, but we did get to scour your "parts dept/fire waiting to happen dept"? Just kidding.
Anytime with Mike is like an adventure!!

Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it’s been about 30 years since anyone has asked me to write a report on what I did during the summer. Back then, I think I had to double-space and narrow the margins to make the report seem longer. Now, the challenge will be to keep from rambling on for a dozen pages or more. This has been a year to remember.

After a difficult fall and winter downstate, 2011 offered new hope. For the first time in my 38 years of traveling to BBI, I finally got to cross on the ice; I went across with Kevin Gibbons and am grateful to him for all he did to make that trip possible. There was maybe 10 inches of snow on the ground and the weather warmed into the upper 20s. Upon my arrival, the truck started up on the first try and I was able to go visit with Anne Baker, Mike White II, Rosemary and Robin at Anne’s place. We had a mini-“house concert” and a few cocktails, of course. Larry and Missy even opened Hawk’s for the day – I’m grateful to them, too, for all they did. It was a great opportunity to hang out and visit with Island friends while my little electric heater was gradually warming my place to a modest 65 degrees. I had to melt snow so I could make coffee the next morning. Loved it. What an amazing trip.

When spring came, I wasted no time in getting back to BBI. There were adventures in April and May, with high winds and downed trees getting people stranded all over the Island – not to mention the lingering snowdrifts on the north shore. Our chainsaws and tow straps were getting a workout, but I really enjoyed seeing so many Islanders coming together to help those in distress.

And that was never more true than during the week of Memorial Day, when a young boy was reported missing in the woods off Fire Tower Road. I was at the Tavern (surprise) when the word came in; within a few minutes, dozens of us had our vehicles lined up along Fire Tower, and everyone broke off in different directions to begin the search. I went north toward Thompson Lake, because I knew most of the two-tracks out there. Eric Gibbons headed west into the woods toward Twin, and it was Eric who finally found the boy – covered in mosquito bites – wandering near an abandoned trail. Thanks to Eric, Larry and the quick response of the entire ad-hoc search crew, the boy was returned home safely just before dark.

Of course, my greatest joy was getting to spend the rest of the summer with Lana, and spending time with her BBI family too. Lisa and Susie mentioned the cousins’ reunion, which was an awesome gathering – thanks to Lani and Mike’s tremendous hospitality and tolerance… And Mike led a fantastic tour of Sundew Fen – a hidden BBI treasure I never would’ve seen otherwise. It all made for an unforgettable summer, at least for me.

I hosted a couple of music nights at the Tavern once again, and started writing new Island songs for a future BBI CD project that I’ll probably never have the $$$ to undertake. Too many projects, never enough money or time! Speaking of which, I also became the proud owner of the Granny Smith, the iconic ’71 Suburban that was the Shannon family’s BBI ride for many years. They've been so kind to me... In my usual way, I am slowly working toward getting the Granny running and roadworthy again, after being parked for 10 years. After much tweaking and rigging, I actually got to hear it run for the first time last week. Sadly, despite my penchant for rescuing old Island trucks, there was one that we lost… here’s to the blue/black/gray flatbed Ford, wherever she may be.

More than ever, BBI is home, and we’ll be headed home again soon. This year’s not over yet - Octoberfest is this weekend - and next year has even better things in store!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...altho you had some grammatical errors, you missed a word and you met "hopefully" the love of your life, and her strange but somehow great family. You did have some adventures. Not to say our family or Lana is not an adventure. Told you before, it was very nice having you around for the reunion. Learn foggy mountain breakdown for the next mess my dog gets into next year. (hornets)
I want a ride in the Granny next year!

KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a wonderful summer.
What is the Sundew Fen?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Sundew Fen Reply with quote

Boy was I ever waiting for that question.
Technically fens are areas where alkaline waters wash over the plants or where the rock under the plants contains limestone. In contrast, bogs are wet, acid areas where drainage is poor.

On this island I have found only two fens that have a marl bottom. Marl is a light colored deposit containing lime. There are probably more. From aerial photography one fen stands out as being very marly. It shows up as white in the photos. In this fen are little islands of moss that are acidic standing above the more alkaline waters.

In this specialized habitat grow three different kinds of sundews; round, linear, and a sterile cross of those two called English sundew. For more information about the Xanglica cross see:
http://michiganflora.net/species.aspx?id=1175

The other neat feature of Sundew Fen is that it maintains an almost uniform depth that is less than the top of most rubber boots. That means that a person can carefully walk around on the marl bottom and observe the sundews and other specialized plants like orchids. Warning - sometimes someone falls and becomes covered with marl.

It can be quiet and peaceful and secluded in and around this fen. A song has been written about meeting at the fen.

If you want to see it, go to these UTM coordinates using map datum NAD83 or WGS84:
E0694623
N5069405
From there, look westerly under the cedars to find it.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The marl is Gross! Just ask my dog....I will post a pic soon!

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Has Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Before I got down to Kelly's comment I asked Mom what it was and she did not know ... so now that you have explained it I have a question for you ..... Do you know if Twigg knew about this ??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Fen Reply with quote

I don't think he was aware of it, but you never know. It isn't in his normal hunting areas, it is near my place at Sand Bay. Actually it is quite near where Mike Radala lived in the Bo-Lo Garden Subdivisions.

Twigg would have no reason to go into the fen other than chasing a deer or maybe to trap. He did always have those rubber hip boots or waders for trapping. I do know that your mother trapped up the rail road grade not too far away from Sundew Fen. So, he probably did trap in the area.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: k Reply with quote

Thanks Mike ... its one of those things we will always think he may have known but not sure ... Mom can't remember .......
wonder if victor knows about it ? That may answer the question ...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: fen Reply with quote

They probably new of it, but it didn't have that name until I started calling it Sundew Fen a few years back. Lynn and Victor may have had another name for it, like Muckhole Swamp So, yes, Victor would be a good one to talk to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: