Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

political bullcrap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I would probably frequent the site more often, if the content consisted of more "islandy things", such as weather, flora, fauna, local political issues, stories of interest, I don't mind if there is a thread or two with a political theme. I always have the choice of not viewing threads that do not interest me. Also, I don't think singling out John Elmer, who I know to be a good, lovable, smart, albeit passionate character, is really appropriate. There are plenty of others, myself included, who have taken their turn at laying down some political commentary on this site. John's support for RP is unquestioned. I think that supporting a fringe character like RP is a colossal waste of time, but he does make some good points, and without champions like John Elmer, we'd never really know much about the non-favored candidates out there. So, I guess John Elmer is providing a valuable service to those who care to partake? Very Happy
Peace, Piper
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps those of us who are sick of the Bois Blanc Island Political Forum should make more of an effort to start island related topics. I just hop on, see all the political posts and then log off. I know I'm not the only one guilty of lurking instead of contributing (mom).
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking that way myself, and when I did come back to the site after awhile thats all I saw too.

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I choose option D) z-z-z-z-z--z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh...not that I want to get in the middle of anything you've got going on here. But please, let's not single out John Elmer Engle with the "spewing" of "crap." There are one or two *select* others responsible for frequent, tangential, and holier-than-thou diatribes that really grind my gears. #Mad
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

clearview
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you people, who put down this political discussion as "not worthy to be on this site" come up with your own interesting discussions that will move the masses. I have not seen topics started recently, that have whipped up so many of you silent lurkers !! Come on, you have to admit it did get you out of the dark corners !!

Write poems about the beautiful Island. Or maybe write the latest gossip. That should keep everybody interested !
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Censorship Reply with quote

I have a poll or two for you Al's Sister. It's under the heading "Ron Paul-again"

Perhaps we should all ask you for permission about what "Idle Chit Chat" topics we can delve into.

You are exactly what governmental censorship is all about. Except you are not government, you are a private citizen attempting to censor free speech. What part of Free Speech do you not understand? This is not my opinion, nor is it a condemnation, nor is it hate talk. This is what you are attempting to do. Have you ever heard of the 1st Amendment?

Good Luck with that. No wonder you do not like Ron Paul. He defends free speech...for everyone...even you.

I agree with you about Facebook. Go there. And suggest to all or your "Friends" that they can only talk about topics you deem appropriate.

I will be on the island in Three weeks or so...that is if it is OK with the "speech police."

And yes, I am being facetious...
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH REALLY?! I couldn't tell!
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Political Bullcrap Reply with quote

Are we not able to decide what we want to read WTF. There are plenty of other (forums)
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I am still sad.. I've heard tell and have seen for myself the effects of the discussions I am targeting.. The majority seem to think so too.. I would rather everything be rainbows and light in my pollyanna world.. I believe I am doing the right thing for a bunch of people as well as myself.... I'm insulted John as I'm sure you feel angst too.. A pleasant society welcomes debate and then move on to the next one.. Dwelling on and wringing a subject to death is grating my nerves. This is a site I hope to find solice and fellowship..
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Insult Reply with quote

Al's Sister:

Insulted? How? My suggestion is to go read Pollyanna if that is what you like. For goodness sake, do not read something that gets your shorts all bunched up.

I can't understand why you are troubled by a discussion between myself and others who choose to converse.

If you want to talk about a topic that you are passionate about, bring it up, post it, invite discussion, and continue until you are satisfied. If I am not into that topic, I will look elsewhere for a discussion. I certainly will not condemn your RIGHT to discuss it.

Suggestion: Quit "targeting" (your word) certain topics for your attacks. And quit trying to do the "right thing for a lot of people" (Your words). They are adults and can choose to do as they wish.

And do not tell right guy we "know each other". We have talked maybe a half dozen times. It has always been cordial...but we do not know each other beyond that.

And if you would actually take some time to learn about any of the Presidential candidates you could actually enter in to the discussion in a meaningful way...or NOT.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen John. Let's try to keep this going. If Rob decides to delete the political discussions, so be it. Until then, bring it on. What's new today?
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, here's a short article I think you would appreciate.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/10/05/what-if-libertarians-ran-washington/
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

Good article.

I am almost afraid to mention, (I hope the sisters aren't reading this) Ron Paul, but that is the foundation of his platform.

Freedom, get gov. out of the way. Peace. No one is above the law. Not presidents, or rich MFrs, etc.

I got an article today to impeach Obama for his killing of Al-waki. Did you read it? Food for thought.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I can understand your position, but... I stick to my conviction that we are at war with a very slimy enemy that will never be able to win an election. Their only method of converting followers is to brainwash the weak and use them to cause mayhem and destruction. They are "terrorists". I saw today they are still going after old Nazis. We haven't forgotten that horror and we shouldn't discount the possibilities today. Too bad we didn't have drones in 1938. Again, no candidate will the "perfect" choice. Obama is no surprise. He is doing everything he said he would. Rush Limbaugh said he hoped he would fail. Well, he didn't fail.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right John.. We know of each other.. And no, I won't quit.. Guess you didn't see the stubborn part.. Laughing Nice that you stick more political crap in this topic as well.. Kind of proves my point.... And I have brought up a subject I am passionate about.. Laughing Yep, got my panties in a bunch about this one.. Laughing
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, time for me to weigh in.

In the nine years that this site has been around, I can count on one hand the number of threads that have been locked. I don't believe we've ever deleted an entire thread. To those in opposition to the political topics, I have to respectfully disagree with the idea of banning such topics. As has been stated by others, if the topic is of no interest to you, please feel free not to read it. If folks are tired of seeing Ron Paul at the top of the Recent Topics scroll, start a conversation that will incite the masses to engage. Hopefully it will be island related.

As to the decline of this site, I'm going to guess that the other forms of social media have taken their toll on the activity level here. FB is king these days, it's more user friendly and you can connect/check-in with a wider variety of people. I'm sure the photo album being out of commission for a year did not do this place any favors either. I've mentioned to a few people, when I started this site I had no kids, an 8-5 job and time to spare. Now I'm a part time student, part time employee, full time husband and farther of two. I have about this || much time to look after this place. In the beginning I tried to keep the conversations going, started ice-breaker topics, etc. If you're a lurker and wonder why nobody is posting anything new, perhaps it's your turn to start the conversation.

I haven't fished on the island in six or seven years. Bob the Boy Scout leader would like some fishing info so the boys can have a decent time while they're there. I'm sure somebody here can shed some light.
http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=23098#23098

I'm too tired to strategically place my smilies, so here's a handful of 'em.
#jumping
Peace!
Rob

http://www.bridge-view.net
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: John Reply with quote

Quit picking on John E. ~~

When we all visit the island we talk about what is going on with life here, our life in the city, our travels, what we did during the winter when we were not on the island, our aches and pains, our family life, the weather, hunting and fishing on main land, the other places we love off the island and very important to us or should be is who is going to lead our country .. if you are not talking about that then you should be ... .... come on, give John a breck, hes interested in what we are all up against, let him share... ...

If you do not want to read what he has to say, you may want to think about that, you may be missing out on some very important info.. if you just flat do not want to read what he says then do not read it ... but let him alone and let him share ... enough said ....
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Political Bullcrap Reply with quote

Al's Sister wrote:
Quote:
All right John.. We know of each other.. And no, I won't quit.. Guess you didn't see the stubborn part.. Laughing Nice that you stick more political crap in this topic as well.. Kind of proves my point.... And I have brought up a subject I am passionate about.. Laughing Yep, got my panties in a bunch about this one.. Laughing

I stuck some "political bullcrap" under your topic "Political Bullcrap."

Gee whiz, I thought I was sticking to the subject that you started.

I'll be at "Ron Paul" again. Sionara.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that when a topic is posted that the conversation should be about the topic.
John's thread about Ron Paul is definitely about Ron Paul.

I stopped posting when I realized he is there and I am going to do something else.

I have seen John either bring someone else's topic to something political, or start a topic that was about something, and then turn it political.
As long as he keeps to the topic, no problem. I am not giving permission, just saying, it would help things. Please don't twist my words.

I came back to the sight, on my own, hoping to connect to the Island. Only to find, after going to past conversations, that it turned into the Ron Paul Show.

I have started new conversations and there are ways to put pictures in your thread if you would like to share.

I only hope that John will join us, as he always does. But leave Mr. Paul in RP's thread. Voice your views, but please leave the political stuff there.

John, I know that you would appreciate my love for the Island, that it brings me solace in a troubled time. To come back to something that gave me a connection, to find everyone gone and people exchanging views on how our world is in a *poop* hole, is not what I expected from this site. Was it wrong for me to expect something different??
I expected happy, eclectic, fun loving, entertaining, sarcastic, inviting people. Although, the Boys wanting to have fun thread, did give me a giggle.... lol! I found sadness and what I did call a "Hatred". Which I should have called, an "Anger".

I am a girl, female, mother, sister, aunt, cousin, and mentor to some of my friends and some of my children's friends. I want to be able to find a place I can go from all the strife of the world. I am not ignoring the problems we have in this glorious nation but need to find a place to get away. Funny, I was on Facebook so much and came here to find my peace of mind. As close to the Island as I could get.
It just seems funny to me that you and yours in your thread would rather "the sisters" either join in or go away, to Facebook say, ...where I ran away from. Just funny is all...Funny I didn't realize BBI is on Facebook.
But it just doesn't seem the same.
To all...
Please don't come after me. Please don't be mean for pete's sake. Everybody....
I just want to see this site come back to something nice...That's all.

Lisa White Ramsberger
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Stick to the topic. Reply with quote

Quote:
As long as he keeps to the topic, no problem.
Al's Other Sister.

This is exactly your problem...you think you can tell others what to say on a forum topic.

Often, ideas, thoughts, commentaries lead to ideas that are not precisely pointed at the initial topic "title". Do we need speech police to guide us back to the initial topic "Title". I think not.

Time to grow up. Do not attempt to censor anyone because they like to discuss a topic in depth and with passion. If you love flowers, solitude, peace, and beauty, go to those posts or post them yourself.

I'm sure NO ONE would actually post a BBI poll to stop you from discussing a topic that you find fulfilling.

And I would enjoy the same respect from you.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not giving permission, just saying, it would help things. Please don't twist my words.

Thanks John.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: