Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lynn Twigg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Lynn Twigg Reply with quote

We have lost another great family member of the island. Twigg has lef for new hunting grounds. He will be greatly missed by his family and more friends to count. Rest in piece my old friend and hunting buddy.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Twigg Reply with quote

You left out a few other things he did Tony.
He also was a Kalkaska cop, a trapper, an airplane pilot-instructor, a deer hunter of the highest order, and of course husband to my Aunt Connie.

I posted a picture. A lot of the "newer" people on the island may not recognize him.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew all except the Kalkaska cop. I always thought he was a bush pilot on the pipeline during construction. I knew he was an avid pilot. Always with the twinkle and a smile.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a *darn* good piano player....and dancer!

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: A bit of what Grandson Mac wrote about him Reply with quote

Twigg is important to my life for a few strong reasons. He raised my mother, my favorite person in the whole wide world . Without him, she wouldn't be who she was,and I wouldn't exist. Besides that, Twigg is a model representative to the human race. He embodies the spirit of every person who has passionate goals in life. He's accomplished every pursuit he's set out to, and managed to maintain stubborn moral character. Twigg will always be remembered by those lucky enough to know him, but he's too humble to expect it ....

This is only part of what he wrote for a college class ~~~

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY HIS GRANDSON. ...mac Holton (twiggs daughters son)

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Lynn Twigg Reply with quote

By HEATHER A. RESZ
Frontiersman
Published on Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:03 PM AKDT

TALKEETNA — The Alaska Railroad was the only way to get to Talkeetna when Francis Lynn Twigg arrived in 1950. It would be another 21 years before the Parks Highway would be completed, providing road access to this treasure of the Mat-Su Valley.
During his 60 years building Alaska and Talkeetna, Twigg also became known as a local treasure. He died at his home Oct. 28, 2011. He was 89.
His name is mentioned among such Talkeetna icons as pilots Don Sheldon and Cliff Hudson, and miners and trappers Rocky Cummings and Jim Beaver.

Francis Lynn Twigg

“Talkeetna has lost many of its most colorful characters in the past five years — Cliff Hudson (Alzheimer’s) and his son Jay (cancer), drama community leader and philanthropist Emmela Denny (train/car wreck in Willow), Mad Dog the museum curator and bike guru/philanthropist/writer and many other things, Mike Fisher (colon cancer) to name just a few. Twigg’s passing truly represents the end of an era,” John Moses writes in an email to the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman noting Twigg’s passing.
Francis was born Sept. 12, 1922, in Fife Lake, Mich., to Claude and Fannie (Doherty) Twigg.
He served in World War II in locations such as northern Africa and Italy. He was a scout who led mule trains across the Italian mountains and fought in the battles of North Appennines Po Valley Rome, Italy. His family said he also witnessed the public hanging of Mussolini and his girlfriend.
“He was among the last still alive to have had a front seat to the opening of Denali to air excursions and, thus, the beginning of Talkeetna’s tourism industry,” Moses says in his email.
As Sheldon’s mechanic, Twigg had some of the best seats in town to watch this chapter of Alaska history unfold.
Twigg also is featured in history videos produced about Sheldon and Hudson, two longtime competitors in the Talkeetna aviation industry. As many Alaskans do, Twigg also had an interesting story about how he got to Alaska, Moses says. He was a former police officer who drove his personal patrol car to Alaska about 60 years ago and sold it to the Seward Police Department before heading north to Talkeenta for more adventures.
In addition to his skills as a mechanic, Ham radio operator and airplane pilot, Twigg was also a noted local musician known for his love of piano playing and dancing.
Locals likely recall hearing Twigg fire up the keys of the pianos at the Roadhouse or Fairview Inn. Moses writes that Twigg also opened for gypsy jazz great John Jorgenson, who played a Denali Arts Hangar concert a couple years ago.
“He played his complex ragtime-esque music by ear,” Moses says. “Up until last year, he and his wife would still cut a rug at the Fairview with the right band playing.”

Twigg built a life and raised a family in Talkeetna. Surviving are his wife, Constance Marie Twigg of Talkeetna; daughters, Connie Richardson of Texas and Duronda Twigg of Trapper Creek; and son, Vye Feeley of Talkeetna.

A celebration of life in honor of Twigg is from 1 to 5 p.m., Sunday, at Sheldon Community Arts Hangar, 22249 S. D Street, Talkeetna.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Twigg Reply with quote

For the deer hunters.
When I was a teen, Twigg took Dave Feeley and me deer hunting on Bois Blanc. It was not the kind of hunting I envisioned. Instead of hiding in some brush, he made us boys climb up in some trees growing out in the open marshes. So there we sat for hours in plain sight. We were instructed to be still and make no noise. I suppose the deer were not to notice the big blobs setting up there. We three were spaced about 75 yards apart. The deer never came.

We finally gave up at dark and we came together to walk out. Twigg told me that he thought that the deer didn't come because he could hear my watch ticking from his position 75 yards away. I have always wondered since whether he was being honest or feeding me some cow manure. I couldn't hear the watch at all on my wrist.

He also said that if you climb up on a downed tree stump, where the roots are projecting up in the air, and you stand still with them, the deer will think you are a root too.

Another time he told me that if your watching a group of deer from hiding, and they become suspicious, get out your jackknife or whatever and tap it against a tree to make a sound like a woodpecker. That will make the deer think that whatever was suspicious was a woodpecker, and they will calm down and ignore you.

I could not ignore such advice, because Twigg almost always got a deer.
IslandDeer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my grandpa and will miss seeing him on the island!!! he will be remembered just like the lonnie feeley is through there offsparing!!! love you grandma twigg!!!! love Katy and Ila Rose[/b]
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for sharing your stories .. and putting the artical on from the palmer paper ... We had not seen it yet ... Mom enjoys hearing what his family and friends share about him ...

I know he had GREAT hearing, however, we will never know ! Ha Ha ~~

We sure miss the "ole timer" not being here .... Mikie sure did enjoy getting to know his Uncle Lynn this summer and I am so glad he was able to hear his stories ... its been good for mikie to be here ... he was a great helper too ..

Katie, you are right he will live though his children and Grandchildren of which Lonne Feeley was one of his children that they did not mention as well as Dave Feeley .....

Love you both

~~connie faye fee fee feeley richardson ~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: