Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

DNR Activities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: DNR Activities Reply with quote

To see what is going on you need to know that Gaylord is the "Unit" responsible for this island. They assign what are called "compartments" to areas within their unit. In those units they propose "treatments" for the forest. A treatment may be any number of things from clear cut to do not touch. Mostly it is the harvesting of hardwood.

Some compartments on this island are 217, 219, & 220.

Another term is YOE [Year of Entry]. That is when the "treatment" is supposed to happen. A YOE actually begins on Oct 1 of the prior year. That is when the states year begins.

So, if you google gaylord yoe or dnr - yoe, you will find out what is going on in the DNR as relates to this island or anywhere in the state as pertains to "treatment" plans. It is very interesting.

I found out that in compartment 219 the DNR intends to purchase property in section 13. They also intend to close the gravel pit in that section in 2007. Also, they intend to cut hardwood north and west of the airport and around the clearing in section 15, both this coming year.

In 2008 they intend to cut hardwood along the south side of the base line road in compartment 220.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I didn't find much except for a pdf file on comp 220.

Reading down through the list, I don't see much activity. Looks like there are some concerns about the Beech trees. value= "firewood"

Dan Heckman is the DNR forester I mentioned, Lives in Indian River and was a neighbor until last year. According to Dan, the DNR was mostly inventorying timber stands on BBI as they had been ignored for decades. This being due to the cost of removing saw logs from the island. Cost negates any profits from the timber unless chipped or cut into lumber, on the island.

Russ would be the expert here.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Activities October 3, 2011 Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this land exchange?

STATE FOREST LAND EXCHANGE AND BOUNDARY MODIFICATIONS

Land Transaction Case #20050574, Keweenaw County, Baraga Management Unit; Luce County, Newberry Management Unit; Mackinac County, Gaylord Management Unit.

Private Lands Offered in Exchange: Luce County, McMillan Township: T48N, R10W, Section 20; and Keweenaw County, Grant Township: T58N, R27W, Sections 7, 10 and 15; and; Keweenaw County, Grant Township: T59N, R28W, Section 35. 663 acres, more or less.

State Lands Desired in Exchange: Luce County, McMillan Township, T48N, R10W, Sections 15, 16, 17 and 22; and Luce County, McMillan Township, T48N, R09W, Sections 3, 4 and 10; and Mackinac County, Bois Blanc Township, Section 25. 1240 acres, more or less.
Information Contact: Ed Meadows, 517-373-1240. Decision-maker: DNR Director
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Nature Conservancy Reply with quote

Well, it looks like I will have to answer my own question. I Googled the case number and up popped all the information.

The Nature Conservancy is in the process of acquiring another 40 acres at the Westerly end, of the chunk, they already have, back in the middle of Section 25. The only real change [restriction] will be that no motorized vehicles are supposed to use the trail that runs through the new part as well as the older part. That trail has been used for years by snowmobiles. So that, and maybe ATV people, would be the ones affected. For the hikers looking for BBI's exotic flora, it will be great. It borders the land, South, designated as a natural area by the State, and continues to consolidate holdings, off limit to development.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: The new holdings of the Nature Conservancy Reply with quote

The new holdings of the Nature Conservancy would be a short way North and West of 'Indian Plantain Pond' as shown in this infrared aerial picture I annotated. Here is the link -

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=2797
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they able to block the use of this land by people with handicapped stickers that are allowed motorized vehicles. If so then I would object to their funding process and acquisition process.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting question re motorized handicap vehicles. My first guess is that if its a conservancy parcel (not state owned) it can be blocked to all but foot traffic which would include bicycles and horses.

Conservancy holdings are still considered private land although open to limited public access under a conservation trust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: