Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Wild Violets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Wild Violets Reply with quote

I just published an eBook about wild violets on Bois Blanc and Round Island. It has large close-up photos of 10 different species of wild violets that I have located here. It can be used as a field guide to identification. Most of the colorful photos are even pretty.

For those without a Kindle, download the free Kindle for PC. Enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Violets-Identified-Straits-Mackinac-ebook/dp/B007BO4U68/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1329930021&sr=1-1
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: flowers Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Any tips/hints on good flower photo shoots for certain times of year?

For example, I really want to get a picture of a Showy/Pink Lady Slipper this year and have no idea when/where to find them...any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Showy Lady Slipper Reply with quote

I checked the dates on my pictures and it was mid June when I snapped photos of showy lady slippers here at Sand Bay. They grow in wet areas. You might ask the Albers if they know where some might be. Another spot would be the Moon Bay area.

The deer love to eat them.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Browsed your book, Mike. Beautiful. Nice job.
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When's the date on the picture? I may be roaming your property in mid-June if you guys don't mind!!

The yellow lady slippers are east and the pink ones are west...very interesting to me, I wonder if they prefer these areas or if it's just coincidence...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: dates Reply with quote

Pete, I have about a thousand pictures of island flowers, right here in the ol computer. When I hover the pointer over them, the date shows when I snapped the picture.

Thanks John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: