Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice in the Southern Strait of Mackinac 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Ice in the Southern Strait of Mackinac 2012 Reply with quote

January 20, 2012
I haven't reported on ice up till now, because it just was not there. As of yesterday, with a strong west wind, loose ice packs moved into the typical ice crossing areas for Bois Blanc. Last year the ice bridge formed in calm weather making for an ideal bridge. This year, if the pack ice stays and locks in, it will be back to the more common rough ride.

Snow depth on BBI is around 6 or 8 inches. Just deep enough to think about sledding around on snowmobiles. The snow right now is stuck on the trees making for some nice scenes. It is supposed to get above freezing in a few days and that tree snow should fall off.

Nice and quiet around here right now!
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Mike. Ice fishing on inland lakes? I was up there a few times during Jan and Feb always peaceful.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: ice snow report Reply with quote

mike thanks for the news. those of us that love the island are always interested

tom LBL
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up the Jan 13-15...there was absolutely 0 ice when we were there...Couldn't even walk off our beach and onto the ice without breaking through!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Ice in the Southern Strait of Mackinac 2012 Reply with quote

Today is the day that the Coast Guard officially closed the South Channel. Ships have been going through including the Mackinac cutter. The snow has fallen from the trees due to very warm weather in the 40's followed by strong winds that pushed the ice packs around producing a wide gap full length of the channel. It looks like a mess out there.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Full of hot air Reply with quote

I got in my full of hot air balloon and rode it up to 100,000 feet to snap this picture. Then I jumped out and did a free fall back down 15 miles before opening my chute. Most excitement I have had this winter.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=2798

The photo at the top of the home page is the way it actually looks right now from Sand Bay. If I climb to the top of my extension ladder, I can see the open water out there a mile or more away.
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it look so frozen on the west side of the bridge? is the weather there a tad different?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the ice bridge will happen any day now...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

I love the picture on the front page ! thanks ...........
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to Conis's expectations, what little ice was left was blown away at the beginning of the first snowstorm we had at the end of February. Watched the whole bay full of ice float off toward the Mackinac Bridge.

Then the 2nd storm came. Today, the 6th, after 3 days without electricity, it came back on. Thank GOD for generators.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Your sayin no ice bridge? Theres still a couple weeks left!
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard you received lots of snow in the last few days and had lots of trees down. Is that true? How much snow is on the ground? And how do the electric company guys get their equipment on the island to fix electricity?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: storms Reply with quote

We had two storms. Before the storms there was a few inches of snow.

The first storm was not too bad, maybe six inches of regular snow, but the second one dumped about a foot of supper heavy wet snow. In some parts of the state there is still no power a week later. Yesterday it melted big time. There still is about a foot of heavy wet, hard to walk in, snow.

Here, we had to wait 3 days before the power guys flew over. They have equipment here at their barn by the dock. The one guy I saw had a pickup with an old Bravo snowmobile in it. He unloads the light weight snowmobile and with a chainsaw goes up and down the line locating the trees that have leaned out of the woods and were pushing down on the line. It took them maybe 6 hours to clear the lines and get the power going again.

A lot of people here now have generators to get by until the power returns. I'm sure that there will be lines down to some peoples houses. When the power guys see that, they turn the power off at the pole and move on. Lots of big limbs came down too, in addition to lots of trees.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that living on BBI, especially winter mos... a generator would be standard back up equipment? or else what?

Even in the summer, power goes out a lot... Not for very long but long enough to become concerned about the fridge and freezer.

Last summer, found a small-portable 2cycle "camper generator" on sale with free shipping and grabbed it. Only 1000 watts but enough for the fridge and a couple CFL lights.

Have an old but reliable 4500w generator w/electric start that needs minor refurb. Going to get it dialed in and bring it up... leave it
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: tree line Reply with quote

Our tree line floated away. The pre-cut trees were left out on the ice and have floated away. The last pile disappeared last night.

So, the wise guy who thought he would save time and energy by getting the trees to Sand Bay before an ice bridge formed, ended up still to the good, by getting rid of all his unwanted brush. Not so dumb after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: