Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hospital closing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnM
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Hospital closing? Reply with quote

I hear Cheboygan Hospital is closing. Is there any other health care facilities in the area? It doesn't sound good Crying or Very sad
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: closed Reply with quote

According to the news, it should be closed right now this day, 4/4/2012. Because the former clinic on BBI was associated with the Mackinac Straits Health Care System, at least I have an alternate place to go. Sure harder to get to though.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://articles.petoskeynews.com/2012-04-03/emergency-room_31283332
Too bad. Gotta love those regulatory and licensing bureaucrats.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.freep.com/article/20120410/BUSINESS06/120410009/1001/rss01
Sparty
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure you can blame the bureaucrats. News articles seem to indicate that the new management/owners wanted "special" provisions in their agreement with the govt. They could have continued operations under the old agreement.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McLaren Hospital out of Flint bought out Ingham Medical Hospital of Lansing a short time ago. How it is working out? Time will tell..... We do need 2 great hospitals here in Lansing. Sparrow Hospital is here and it has and will always be one of the best! The best of LUCK in Cheboygan.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How predictable for 'Wrong Guy' to immediately blame regulations and NOT the inept hospital administrators. Believe it or not, we do need our medical facilities to be certified and inspected, to ensure that they meet certain standards of safety, cleanliness, and care. Perhaps 'Wrong Guy' thinks that the local janitor, or more likely, banker, should be able to open up a hospital and staff it with whomever they please, with whatever certifications they may have, and that the facility could use whatever medieval medical procedures they choose to. After all, the free-market will determine if people will want to go to said hospital. It's all good....... Who needs regulation? You can't argue with stupid.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: hospital Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the original Cheboygan hospital that was built as solid as a castle, and actually looked a little bit like one. A rock solid structure.

The people who decide things built what everyone sees around the original building. They neglected to maintain the structure. A structure that would last hundreds of years, if maintained. Last I knew, the hospital paid to have it removed. It could have been used for the administration of the hospital, or other uses, with a minimal amount of maintenance. They built that big showy thing next door, when they could have used what they had.

This is the kind of wasteful thing that bothers me.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Hospital Reply with quote

McLaren Hospital in Flint, is an excellent facility, they have consolidated many small hospitals under their brand and all of them have to certify to the standards the Main facility has, the standards are set by the government, and to achieve excellence within that system is for the best interests of the people that are served. It appears that many of the local patients (Cheboygan) could not be served until the Medicare/Medicaid surveys could be completed. With the standards McLaren has to maintain, keeping the local unit open could conceivably hurt 20 -25 other small community hospitals operating under the McLaren brand, by damaging the hospitals rating. Unfortunately for Cheboygan, the old system of doing business as usual and turning your head the other way was in play and the community suffers for it. When the surveys are completed, and the deal goes through, the new management of the hospital will be appreciated, they are a good health care provider, pull up their website and look at the communities they serve, just saying, locally the cancer center is good, cardiac care excellent, geriatrics great, pediatrics great, neuro very good...
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allowing the one hospital in an area to simply close is a terrible result. Patients and the community have come to rely on the institution. In healthcare predictability is important. The sticking point seems to be short-term government money (medicare and medicaid) plus regulator/bureaucratic sloth. The expectation is that a resolution will be achieved by the next Federal Court date in a couple of weeks. The lawyers, the administrators, and the bureaucrats will all be paid during that time. Meanwhile patients will suffer.

I'd bet that the closure would have been avoided if Judge Opperman had the authority to jail all the players while they discuss these matters. I'd bet that a weekend of rooming with 'bubba' would solve the logjam.
Right Guy
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't appear to be a "life or death health issue" to me.

"Administrators at Cheboygan Memorial say the problem is with recertification requirements and licensure of its emergency services and outpatient surgery area. The Center for Medicare Services is unwilling to grant a waiver to allow McLaren Health Care to immediately operate those areas as planned without additional surveys being completed.
The necessary surveys could take anywhere from 45 to 180 days."

"Market forces" are trying real hard to get something going. The weak and stupid are being taken over by strong and smart. Piper, I know you hate when that happens.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo. "Right Guy" You have no clue here WTF you are even talking about. Spare us your political BS insights/epiphanies..

All small hospitals in Mi are becomiing part of larger health care networks. They can no longer stand as independants. Thats just how it is. i don't have a problem with this or Mclaren. Its about efficient business.

The "problem" with CMH amounts to the incompetent old school administration just blundering along... oblivious, in debt up to theri *ss as a result... and when the deal was to close, it all hit the fan. McLaren was not about to eat the acrued-previously undisclosed debt to the tune of millions.

I have a good number of friends that work(ed) there that connected the dots and filled in the blanks. It wasn't McLaren or the Feds that fumbled this transfer.

All I can say it this this debacle will be devastating for Cheboygan until (if) it is resolved. This affects everyone in the straites area. Nearest hospitals are Gaylord and Petoskey: 50 miles. All the area clinics/doctors affiliated with CMH... toast. 400+ employees at CMH... now doing what?

Back through bankruptsy court again... this time to be auctioned off in full or part.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact that this transfer was allowed to malfunction and fall through the cracks tells me we have a useless government that doesn't prevent problems... but fakes damage control after the fact... and gets paid for it.

Now that this in local-home town debacle is in your face... How's this work for you? Consider this in the voting booth... November... the $$$ or us peons. You decide.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: speculation Reply with quote

I'm going to speculate that McLaren can pick up the pieces of CMH after bankruptcy court, for millions less, than actually dealing directly with CMH. I do not think that all the details are known to us. I'm guessing that some of the blame, for the closer, can be pointed at McLaren.

The nearest hospital is just across the bridge and it is almost brand new. Our tax dollars have helped pay for it along with a bunch of Indians.

It is a shame that 400 people in Cheboygan are out of work. If it lasts long, it will have a snowball effect on the local economy.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could well be that McLaren saw a much better buy and took advantage of CMH not having ducks in a row... Aside from inside info snippets, it is still speculation as to next maneuver. Likely chapter 13.

The impact on Cheboygan's already faultering economy?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the money. My guess is that Mclaren did the math and concluded it would cost too much to purchase the Cheboygan Hospital--and perhaps because, as Conis alluded to, the Hospital has huge debts that McLaren did not want to take on.

One of the many problems with health care is that hospitals must provide services that they are never paid for. And they do so in part, I assume, because the law requires them to do so.

But it is simply true that if someone shows up at a hospital with a critical medical concern that they will be treated whether or not they have money or insurance. And that is the way it has to be. But having said that, just as none of us would like to be in a situation where we have to provide a service without being compensated, it is a serious problem to require hospitals, who are in the business of providing health care, to essentially act as a social services agency. How to fix this? Who knows. But as long as insurance is involved in even the most basic medical services (separating to a large extent the person who pays for a service from the person who receives the benefit of the service) it seems unlikely that we are ever going to fix this mess.

Finally, we expect much more of the health care system than we did 30 years ago. New knees and hips and all sorts of very expensive therapies must be paid for by someone.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama and the Dems have been trying to fix it. The whores of the insurance lobby, AKA Republicans have obstructed progress at every turn. What we need is National Healthcare. Hospitals and Doctors will all get paid. Sick people will get the care they need. It works in Europe and Canada. The only ones who would suffer, (mildly) would be the insurance companies, because they would no longer be able to pick and choose who they will insure and then deny, deny, deny.......payment of claims, over whatever whim suits their taste. (See oil companies justifications for high gas prices, when supply is at a 13 year high and demand is low)
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy JEE what's you take ?

Uncle Steve
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: "The whores of the insurance lobby, AKA Republicans&quo Reply with quote

Comments of this sort detract from public dialog. Healthcare metrics for much of this country are discouraging. In comparison with many other countries, costs are way too high and outcome metrics are too low.

As a baseline, I might suggest reviewing this: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/26/zakaria-how-to-save-american-health-care/
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just hope that McLaren is not into buying as many hospitals as they can and forget the quality of care they should provide.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McClaren recently aquired The hospital in Mount Pleasant which is now offering more and better services than when struggling as an independant...
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: hospitals Reply with quote

Bay City's hospital, previously "Bay Med" is now "McLaren, Bay Med".

I'm glad conis, piper, right guy, steve and steve understand this mega issue.

I believe the health care conondrum is tied to our massive debt, just like everything else. Until that is addressed honestly, NOTHING will improve...hospitals included.

My daughter was born in the Cheboygan Hospital. Sure would have been inconvenient to go to Petokey or St. Ignace or wherever.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem in a nutshell, is overhead. The small independant hospitals simply lack purchasing power (supplies) and can't offer the networked health services provided by mega health care corporations. Pretty soon, every hospital in Michigan will be owned by one of 2-3 networks. I guess Mclaren has control of most hospitals from about Flint north, east side of NLP. I believe Petosky and Gaylord are both Mclaren as are Alpena and Rogers City ( But not certain about this).

Spectrum Health now controls 95% of the hospitals in Western Michigan including Butterworth and Blodgett in Grand Rapids which has since evolved into a MEGA care facility. SE Mi is something else.

So... When will Spectrum, McClaren and ? all merge to become Michigan Hospitals Inc? Will this be good or bad?

I have many friends that are health care professionals. This topic seems to come up more often than not. Bottom line is efficiency and not replicating services in a small area.

Next LARGER issue is health insurance... which in my mind is a gouge factor train wreck, just like big oil... As Jeff pointed out, this could be fixed. Now we are into another subject....
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this on 9&10s website

http://www.9and10news.com/story/18373688/cheboygan-hospital-back-open

I am very glad to hear this, as I am sure most of my family will be, seeing as how my grandparents are not in the best of health, and the thought of them going up north with no hospital nearby was not a pleasant one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: