Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

TDS Open Q&A Session regarding the upcoming Internet pro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDS
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: TDS Open Q&A Session regarding the upcoming Internet pro Reply with quote

There will be a pre-bid contruction meeting held with contractors the evening of May14th in Cheboygan to go over the requirements of the project. This session is for contractors only. TDS will choose a contractor or contractors based on the costs and availibility submitted by the bidder and the selected contarctors will also need to be approved by RUS.

Contractors may be visiting the area throughout the week to get a clear understanding of the enviroment so they can provide an accurate bid to do the work.

Residents of the Bois Blanc are invited to attend an open forum in the Wagner Room any time between 12:30 and 2:30 P.M. on Tuesday May 15th to talk with TDS represenatives about the upcoming construction project that will bring wired internet services to the Island.

We will have a map of the proposed constructin for viewing, answer questions and document any concerns.

Sincerely,

Al Ripp
TDS Regional Market Manager
608-826-4395
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad TDS couldn't be there for an open forum when there's more people on the island for the summer. I know we won't get there until around May 18th so we'll miss this.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also posted on BBI-Facebook verbatum.. as follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okiedokie Kids. I attended the TDS meeting along with 12-15 others, listened carefully and asked direct-pointed questions (some were answered).

Keep in mind that I understand this is HUGE for the island residents, what it means for them full season and year-round. I wish I had this state of the art DSL down state (residence) which is Barney and Fred compared to what will be installed on BBI.

Highlights:

So long Hughes net loser sat-net and dog crap slow up and down speed.
Hello net service faster than your computer can utilize. 25Meg. Most DSL is 3-7 megabytes/sec. How fast is fast? THIS is screaming fast by todays DSL tech standards.

Goodby Dish Network/ Direct TV overpriced infomertial spam crap.
Hello streaming Internet TV (ie Netflix, Amazon streaming and 1000 other free channels all day long with the same programming at 10-25% of the cost).

I looked at the the maps... Where the main fiberoptic line will be run. My understanding was that if you are ON this fiber line, you can tap it directly for max speed. Else-wise, existing copper phone lines to a fiber optic "node". Four nodes on the island.

All existing land lines on BBI will be rewired for DSL service. (I think-intrepreted) that if you don't have a land line, it will be brought in to you at no charge while this system is being installed.

You cannot have DSL without also having landline phone service. it can be kept BASIC service, no LD, emergency and local only $18 mo over and above DSL.

"Can it be shut off, non season?" Oh yeah... but not without a monthly maintenance charge nor do I know how much this charge will be? Or how long it can be shut down?

Then there is this "promotional" period, just to decide if you like it it or ? at a reduced rate. If you shut it off and don't continue at the "regular rate" then pay for a re connection later on.

Bottom line here? "HOW MUCH A MONTH... ON-OFF SEASON TO HOOK UP TO THIS THING?????" Iasked this question three times and didn't get an answer other than "TDS will be competitive" Competitive against what? (see below)

I didn't push the question any further. The guys giving the dissertation were techs, not TDS execs-pitch/salesmen.

The contractor bids will be reviewed soon. Construction beginning July '12 and operational Sept '13. Likely two crews, one east and another west. 20 workers on BBI, 4days/week until completed. Contract labor cost estimated 50% of the $2.6 mil. (all Obama stimulus $$$ funding).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My thoughts on all of this? Why not? nada to hide and I have followed this since the beginning.(now...politics)

Gov't funding is what brought a modern phone system to BBI in the 80's, along with the rest of rural America. I would prefer to see taxpayers $$$ spent on domestic infrastructure rather than on fruitless war and imperialist agendas... But that's just me: Spend the $$$ at home for the Americans. Like DUH?

Question: Installation costs are a gov't freebee. OK. How can a technical system of this magnitude even begin to pay for itself operationally? More subsidy? If that gets cut off, then what?

Will I hook up to this? What for? If they are running the connect to my cottage for free? Why not. Free is a good price on the assumption it works and runs for a while. Forward confidence? We'll see. Bring it to my door in case I or someone else every want's to use it. For now? Thanks but I'll pass.. I just don't need it.

Meanwhile... I'll stick with Verizon 3G wireless from the mainland. Rock solid and $50/month. No contract and plenty fast enough for email and web use. Use it when I need it, on my credit card. Off season-zippo cost or strings attached. NO CONTRACT- NO OBLIGATION- NO NOTHING. Two minutes, on line, with a credit card and i'net hooked up for a month, for $50, anywhere that Verizon covers (essentially all of Michigan)

I just wonder if TDS has figured out what many others have figured out?

Wireless doesn't require the labor, installation etc. This hardwired "thing" regardless of "fiber optic speed" is already obsolete. If the gov't wasn't funding this, it would never happen in todays 'net wireless market.

My friends, this is how it is, mostly after the fact. Your tax $$$ at work. A day late and $2.6 mil short? Obsolete well before it is ever operational. Wireless will win, It already has.

(this post from BBI, from my camp on Rocky Road, via Verizon wireless- 10Q TDS.... Hellooooo????)
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your feelings on wireless. It does make sense save for a few arguments I have.

Speed: 3g is good, but when it comes to streaming movies, especially if it gets into HD, can take a long time and probably have buffer problems.

Data Caps: Wireless now has data caps, and these days, again with movies and surfing, you can burn through gigs very fast.

Just my arguments on cable/dsl vs. 3g. This whole issue really doesn't apply to me as I only go up once a year and don't own any property, just stay and my grandfather's place and I am sure he won't be getting any internet. Now, when/if 4g ever hits the island... then I may change my story, as I was lucky enough to be grandfathered in on unlimited data, and my phone can be used as a hotspot
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Hardwired internet Reply with quote

Hard wired internet lends itself to those who want good service right at home. For those that live on BBI, it will be fantastic.

It will cost nothing for the home owner, along the route of the cable, to get it hooked up. Don't think of the present and your own situation. Think of the future people that might own your place. They may want to live on the island. This is a one shot deal to have the fiber optic cable hooked to the house. You can't splice into it later at your location.

You will still be able to get internet over the copper lines, but it will not be as fast. The copper lines will spider out from one of the five nodes on the island. There will be one at the West End, one between the airport and the West End, one in the Pines at the tower, one at Moon Bay, and one at the curve where you turn left to get to Lake Mary. That makes four outlying nodes other than the main station at the Pines.

Anyone that is not on the main path, will not get fiber optic cable to their home. It, instead, will come from one of the nodes. Example is my place at Sand Bay. The closest node is Pointe Aux Pins. I have no choice in the matter.

I say, even if you do not want fiber optic cable, and it is going by your place, get it anyway. For those without a phone at your place, get the line in and get the fiber optic to the house if it goes by.

Get the hardware, even if you do not want it. You do not have to get the service.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both Mike and Nate.

When the fiber optic is installed, essentially through my back yard on Rocky road, you bet I'll have a drop installed. I would be a fool not to. Will I sign up and use it? Highly unlikely. why not? I don't need 25meg DSL to check my email and the weather in the morning. Nor intend to sit inside all day watching netflix. (which I do have at my residence downstate).

I do believe that wireless net will prove adaquate for those infrequently on BBI; on vacation etc. slow speed, data caps included. That "group" of wireless users already existing may constitute 95% of the net-connected on BBI. year rounders are using satellite lacking any other option. This will be huge for them. Actually I am jealous. But it isn't something I need on BBI for my minimal needs, that I can't bring with me.

Here's a question that was sort of skirted around in the meeting; "How much will it cost" (subscribers)? My guess is that if wireless satisfied temporary needs and DSL costs more. Most will stick with wireless.

Part 2 of this question: How much will it cost TDS to keep this operational, 24/7/365 with a minimal subscriber base... That number yet to be known? What if it isn't well supported? Are operational costs going to be subsidized then, too? If not. The HOW MUCH WILL IT COST SUBSCRIBERS?

As I understood things, TDS is going to install the system then "see what happens" Me too.

In addition to maintaining the fiberoptic system, servers, and new microwave relays, a technician will have to be available 24/7/365 to manage perpetual issues... costing $$$??? Upgrades every 2-4 years cost $$$???

Of course I am looking forward. This is HUGE infrastructure upgrade for BBI that may eventually pay off. or not. I am not argueing that the 'net isn't here to stay or BBI isn't important enough to have solid net access.

My concerns about this are economic. TDS does have competition already. If this has to be operationally subsidized and the budget is cut? Then what? TDS probably hasn't answered this question because there isn't an answer (yet)?

"if you build it, they will come" seems to fit here. But who is "they"? and how many are there?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afterthought:

I believe the west end is already 4G covered via ATT on Mackinac island. ( This info via Mike Lynch, I think, who is up on this stuff more than I). This won't help much for anyone into streaming TV (due to data caps and speed throttling... due to overloaded bandwidth).

My DSL at home is copper wired, I am 2.5 miles from the server in town so peak speed maxes at about 2.5 Mbs, 1/10th the speed of the forthcoming BBI DSL (mentioned for comparison). It is fast enough to handle streaming video but not fast enough for HD video which requires 8-10Mbs.

The Verizon 3G wireless I am using on BBI is actually faster than my wired DSL at home.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall the May discussion/ meeting, TDS was soliciting bids to begin cable installation around early July. Completion by September (2012) and operational by 2013.

I haven't seen any activity... nor has anyone I have talked to, heard anything at all?

During the May meeting, I questioned TDS about cost and competition from Verizon wireless data services...which I use on BBI, works fine and is cost effective for intermittent pay as I go-seasonal usage. Possibly many others concur. Maybe TDS now concurs as well?

The response from TDS (re Verizon wireless) was: " TDS isn't in the wireless business" WTF sort of answer was that? Nor would they offer any $$$ costs per month after an intiial "trial period".

For that matter, Verizon wireless data blows Hughsnet out of the water for speed, quality and monthly cost.There are workarounds to improve signal strength of that is a problem. Worth looking into?

Wireless data is where things are going. Not hardwired systems.

My undersatnding is that ATT has already installed 4g wireless on Mackinac Island, (accessible by BBI west enders).

A single cell tower on BBI would be an asset to the straits and likely put TDS out of business in both land line and internet venues. And it wouldn't cost 2.7 mil.

Just speculating...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speculating that TDS is having a hard time getting someone to do the job, let alone compete for it. I do see pickups with strange names on the doors from time to time. They may be looking and not bidding.

If it ever begins, it would go in fast. Maybe this fall it will happen. I suppose, when we see Plaunt hauling big spools of cable, that is the time to believe that it will happen.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem like such a job would be difficult or impossible to bid unless sky high. They don't call BBI "The Rock" for no reason.

Per last meeting, I was under the impression the deadline to have cable buried in is this coming September and project completed 9/13. (?)
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Idea Time Reply with quote

To me, the ideal time would be September and October; after school starts and before rifle season. If it doesn't happen in that time period, then something is not going right. There is a deadline to use the funding, and TDS is pushing it.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Stakes Reply with quote

I see stakes put in beside all the phone thingys around the island. They have numbers and letters written on them. This must be the first indication that something is going to happen.
Oldenburgs
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - Looking for contact information to be "on the list" for possible service. Would one of you islanders whom are more on top of this be willing to share that intel? Jeff and I just heard of this a few weeks ago and this would really be awesome for me to not have to venture out to main road and down and around a few bends to get service so as to assure that all is well with my 24/7 company. Since we are back a bit from Lake Mary (on the trail to WalkAbout)... I am not confident it will even be possible for us - but want to find out for sure. Thanks for your help, here. - Genise Oldenburg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: phones Reply with quote

There was talk about this at the meetings held. They said something about people signing up for phone service. If you have a phone, your golden. If you have no phone, this is the opportunity to get one installed. You may already be to late, if you do not have a land line to your place. I thought we had already talked about all this.

Search back through this site and you will find names. Call TDS Telecom. While the ditch witches are here, they may put in a line for cheap.

Here is the info from the top of this thread.
Al Ripp
TDS Regional Market Manager
608-826-4395
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rec'd notice from TDS that the project is moving forward. I assume this notice was sent to all eligible property owners. Cable is going in this fall and TDS is meeting with those wanting service. I also assume having power (line) to be a prerequisite

Brandon Shlund is coordinating things (assumed via letter) 231 634 7098.

I am currently using Verizon wireless and can get rock-solid 3G service anywhere on the island (including Marys Lake) with the aid of a Wilson Sleek cell amplifier-repeater, which runs about $80. Pay as I go by the month, for data service. It is unlikeley I will use TDS service since I am on BBI 8-10 weeks per season. I will have the cable brought in since there is no charge if installed while the system is going in.
Oldenburgs
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: TDS service Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did look into the Township minutes etc and did find the name/number. Glad to see that I had the correct one. Smile

I will call to look into it - but quite doubtful. We have not put electricity in as of yet and have not decided if we will.

I have Sprint and AT&T both for broadbands... Sprint works sporadically, but not consistently. I hardly EVER get 3G. I can get it a bit more clearly when going down to the lake, sometimes.

I will try Verizon's pay by month MiFi. Is that the one that you are using?

Best, G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon seems to have the best coverage, east end especially. Have heard complaints about sprint coverage. I believe ATT is on Mackinac Is (4G) Verizon is what I use so not qualified to discuss other carriers.

I am using a 3G (only) fivespot mifi with a wilson booster. (and an iPad 1). Completely portable and tested over the entire island. Minimum signal was 2 bars in the center of the island, 4-5 bars anywhere along any shoreline. My camp is on Rocky Road, about 3/8 mile from the lake. 5 bars usually, 4 minimum. Only twice over the summer did I lose service and that was due to some very intense storms. A few hours down and then back to normal.

The fivespot mifi device is obsolete and being replaced by the 4G Jetpack ( which some are now using on BBI with good success. I'll upgrade when 4G service available. My cost is $50/month for data. no contract.

Verizon has changed their plans all around within the last couple months (so has ATT) allowing sharing of data between several devices. A 3g tablet can be added to a plan for $10/month. I think mifi is the same. I am cheking into this but probably won't do anything until next spring.

Verizon has the best coverage with several towers along 23. Their service has greatly improved in the last year since taking over Alltel.

No clue what TDS intends to charge for service? I went to the meeting in May and asked that 3-4 times without getting an answer other "it will be competitive" and "There will be an introductory trial period". So what... How much a month and what are the terms of the contract?

I don't see how an annual contract will be competitive against wireless, especially if needed only a few weeks of the year. DSL might be faster but it certainly isn't portable even if cost equal, at least not for me.

If you want details on the equipment I am using, PM me. All of it came from Amazon.com.

I am on the BBI Facebook page under "Alfonzo Siupud".
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: From Cheboygan Tribune Reply with quote

From the online Cheboygan Tribune

By Shawna Jankoviak

September 29. 2012 11:07AM
Bois Blanc to get high-speed internet
Ground has been broken on a stimulus project that will bring high-speed Internet services to Bois Blanc Island.

Ground has been broken on a stimulus project that will bring high-speed Internet services to Bois Blanc Island.
TDS Telecommunications Corp. has announced that construction is under way on its American Recovery and Reinvestment Act stimulus project on Bois Blanc Island. According to TDS Telecommunications Corp. Associate Manager-Public Relations Cindy Tomlinson, around 300 customers on Bois Blanc Island will gain access to TDS' high-speed Internet services once the project is complete.
Tomlinson said the work involves installing a fiber backbone and setting new sites in strategic areas to reach the customers. In some cases, the project will involve installing fiber to the home along the main route.
She said TDS has hired Creek Enterprise, Inc. out of Tecumseh, Mich. to do the outside construction work on the project. Once the outside work is finished, TDS will complete the inside work.
"The outside work refers to the construction that is very visible ... the machinery (boring, cable-burying plow, directional bore) that lays the inner duct underground," Tomlinson said. "Later, the copper or fiber is then placed inside. The inside work refers to connecting the services, powering them up and testing them to make sure they work correctly."
The project is scheduled to be completed and accessible to customers by the winter of 2013.
TDS is receiving funding for the project from the United States Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which included funding for expansion of broadband Internet services to unserved and underserved areas across the country.
In Aug. 2010, TDS learned its grant to expand services to Bois Blanc Island was approved for funding. Bois Blanc was one of 46 grants that TDS applied for in March 2010.
"TDS has always believed our rural and suburban customers deserve equal access to high speed broadband services," Tomlinson said. "We are experienced at providing rural areas with broadband. In fact, over 93 percent of our customers nationwide have access to our high-speed Internet service today. This grant gives us the opportunity to bring reliable and affordable broadband out to some of our most difficult to reach customers."
According to Tomlinson, TDS realizes the importance and impact of high speed Internet.
"Access to a high-speed Internet connection allows people to work from home and kids do their homework," Tomlinson said. "It also gives everyone a chance to advance their education online, communicate with family and friends, find jobs and the list goes on and on."
TDS Telecommunications Corp. is the seventh largest telecom provider in the U.S. Founded in 1969, TDS provides high-speed Internet, phone and TV entertainment services in hundreds of rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities across 30 states. On Bois Blanc, TDS currently provides phone service and offers a bundle with DISH Network.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really special. Don't get me wrong... I am all for infrastructure development and bringing the 'net and technology to the hinterlands.

How many people are actually going to hook up to this obsolete wired system when its completed dec 2013? (costing USA taxpayers 2.7 mil).

Has TDS brought forth any $$$ figures on monthly charges or contract terms?
Ummmm. not yet.

Ummm. Whats the point here? TDS gets the cable plowed in, attempts to get it operational so as to recieve funds if completed by a deadine? HELLO? How long will it be supported after the fact?

News update: Most islanders, recreational, seasonal or year-rounders are already using cell technology... which has gotten WAY better since Verizon took over Alltel. And will get better yet once Verizon converts from 3g to much faster 4g within the next 2 years, statewide. HELLO #2.

Wireless cell/data infrastructure is here and now. It's portable, less overhead (less expensive), on demand/ pay as you go. If it breaks, they don't have to send a crew or techs to BBI to fix it. HELLO#3.

If TDS could sell me in rational business terms, why I need to buy their system being wired internet plus a land line to the tune of $1200 year? (just guessing $100 a month x12 since they have presented no figures to date and probably wont until they see how many customers actually buy into this). Why I would want to replace what I am using for $200 annual, pay as needed, with something that costs far more and does the same thing? HELLOOOOOO #4.

BTW, this post being brought to you via Verizon wireless from my iPad at my cottage on Rocky Road. Hello #5. Get done with this maybe watch a netflix video or something.

This whole thing is going to be interesting as it plays through.

What BBI needs isn't TDS, but a low profile cell relay tower located on the island. I made that speech three years ago and it went nowhere.
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am late to the show but I could not agree with you more....

Everything you have stated here is true no doubt and it seems like another waste of taxpayers money once again....

In order for it to be of any worth - it would have to be pretty cheap service to the island folks otherwise I have no idea why anyone would choose to use it vs newer and beter technology available....

I'll be staying tuned to see the outcome on this....
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad I have my Verizon. Works great!

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to keep pounding away on the negatives... but there is something else worth pointing out. To me... this seems like a ploy on behalf of TDS to snag some federal funds. Somehow, BBI met the "development criteria". BUT.

As stated in the article, "operational by December 2013". Obsolete by another year yet? It will take another year beyond that to debug and dial this octopus in. And techicians to do so. In december?

I have DSL at home. It sucks. Its always down and they are perpetually fixing it and making adjustments to prop it up... all hands on. And this is a micky mouse DSL through our wired phone lines, operated by our local independant phone company. Around 600 subscribers on this system. Its not very fast and costs $50 month plus landline charges above that. Around $100/mo both services combined.

It beats dial up and satellite and they do a decent job of keeping it running, most of the time. I am also in a wireless (Verizon) dead zone (rural). If I had wireless service at home which is as good as we can now get on BBI via cheboygan, I would drop my DSL and landline in a split second. Half the cost, better speed and it doesn't break.

DSL goes down and TDS is going to have to send a tech out here to fix it. While they are getting this thing debugged, A tech might as well just live here year round. Wireless goes down? They fix it on the Cheboygan side.

Back to subscriber cost. Of course TDS can't provide concrete subscriber costs since they have no clue how many subscribers will actually use this system, nor how much it will cost to dial it in and keep it running? If they can't make a profit, will they shut it down? Having DSL on BBI requires having computer servers on the island... and someone to check and manage them.

Has TDS noticed that landline customers are bailing in masse in favor of cell? Curious but wondering how many landline customers TDS has lost on BBI, say in the last 5-10 years? Seasonal residents that don't need a landline and can bring their cell phone with them, take them when they leave. DUH. I am pointing out the obvious?

Can't get a decent signal (east ender?) Spend $100 for a repeater-booster and high gain outdoor antenna. I get a rock solid 5 bars on Rocky road, 24/7. With an amplifier, I can get both cell and internet anywhere on BBI with the exception of 1/2 mile on Firetower, right in the center of the island. I actually tested it by driving around the island. The other clue is Verizon has the best coverage on BBI with three towers along US 23. ATT, sprint, and the downstate carriers... good luck. West enders can pull 4G ATT from Mackinac island (where they do have cell repeater towers like BBI ought to have ).

So... I have been watching this situation for the last 5 years and run it in the dirt with my comments and insights. It doesn't matter an iota what TDS does or when. I'm good to go as is and no reason to change.

Verizons service will continue to improve, just as it has. I'm not pitching Verizon so much as commenting on what works, why and where. 4G is right around the corner (out here). It could well be that Verizon is well aware of the TDS DSL debacle and pushing to improve their service to BBI in advance? They seem to be very aggressive in winning over land line customers.
Rolling Eyes
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy TD, can you pm me or post the Brand and vendor "Spend $100 for a repeater-booster and high gain outdoor antenna." Would be very helpful for those of us that don't have much of a clue of what you are talking about... You did show me your set up, but I would not know what to buy.. Thanks.

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the equipment was purchased on Amazon.com. I can come up with the links if I dig a little: As follows (Wilson is a brand / manufacturer of aftermarket cell phone equipment, top quality)

"Wilson Sleek" cell repeater/ amplifier. Around $80. This device can be used in a car or at home with a wall adapter kit. It is a cradle which holds a phone or mifi modem. Amplifies signal in/out, as needed up to 20x. Works with most systems except sprint/nextel.

"Wilson Trucker" high gain omnidirectional cell antenna ($45), which I have mounted high outside on south facing gable end.

"Wilson FME-Male/ SMA-Male coax adapter 971119" ($2.00) connects antenna to amplifier.

"Verizon Fivespot Mifi Modem" Around $60 new if you can still find them. (Purchased on Amazon)This device converts wireless 3G to wifi and will support up to 5 devices at same time. Now obsolete and replaced by Verizon Jetpack with 3G/4G capability. This modem sits in the sleek amplifier and transmits wifi to iPad, Laptop etc.

With this equipment, I can get full five bars on cell or modem. A strong signal translates to data speed which is normally between 2-3.5mbs, quite fast for 3G wireless. 4G is much faster. I'll upgrade to a Jetpack when Verizon switches to 4G (in Cheboygan) likely 2013.

I pay as I go, monthly, no contract. This equipment will give me net access anywhere on BBI or in Michigan. 100% portable. I take it with me to/from BBI

PM me if you have questions or want to see it.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: phones Reply with quote

I think I mentioned earlier that phone service can go on fiber optic lines too. By getting this grant, TDS will have a top of the line, first class phone system installed on Bois Blanc, in addition to a first class WIRED internet system. I think they mentioned that it also would pay for a further upgrade of the microwave tower system too. It will upgrade all the needed electronics. So, Bois Blanc will have a first class solid wired phone system that should require minimal service in the years to come. That is what TDS gets from the grant. The few customers get solid wired phones and fast internet. Also, there are sub-contractors that get work for a while. That work is called jobs. Even Brandon Schlund is in on it. So, money is going from the government back into the private sector. Romney calls it trickle down government. I recall that the act was called American Recovery and Reinvestment. The fact that some of that reinvestment is going here makes me smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: