Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello fellow Island Lovers....

My name is Doug and I spent many years growing up hunting on the Island back in the early and late 80's...

My Great Grand Parents had a cabin on the Island and my family has spent many years on the Island. My dad loved the Island to the core and spent his childhood hunting, fishing and camping up there..

We are cousin's to the Shannon's who have a couple places on the Island. I believe Cousin Matt Shannon's place sits right next to the "old" family Cabin I remember. Family Drama put an end to our "welcoming" to be there somehow......

I can remember the anticipation of the November season coming and looking forward to the boat ride over on boat. (In my days Kurt had already taken over I believe)

We spent a majority of our years tenting during deer season and often stayed near the airport. I spent many mornings hunting behind the airport as a kid with dad.

OUr last year there was 1989 before we ventured off to the UP in search of the big ones. Dad passed away this past January never getting back there which I know he wanted to...

Look forward to spending sometime on here remembering and perhaps making plans to come back for a visit again soon.

Last edited by S&S on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pick of my buddy and our dads in 1985 during November gun season. This picture was taken at the airport.....

I was only 12 and could not wait for 87 to roll around so I could actually hunt. I hunted one year on the Island before we started going to the UP. My buddy Jon never got to "hunt" the Island, just walk around and sit with his old man..

Good times!

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: hunting Reply with quote

They have a youth hunt now and I saw a big buck that was taken. Today begins the bow hunting season. There are still a few deer left. Consider finding your own spot on BBI to hunt. Come on over.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, welcome to the site! I've enjoyed reading your posts about your youth. Hope you can make it to the island soon.

http://www.bridge-view.net
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys....

I certainly will be making plans for a return visit to BBI for deer season. Its good to hear there are a "few" deer around and the seasons there are still in full effect..

Of course for me - I don't need a bruiser buck to make the hunt successful. I don't even need to take a deer to have a successful hunt - its all about the chase and the memories made...

I remember the last few seasons we camped there. We had a small spot between the airport and the gravel pit that we pitched the tent right along side the road. Those years we only shot 2 deer total but the memories were the trophies taken from those hunts!

Any further information that you guys may come up with would be appreciated and I look forward to conversing with you all here at the BBI Forum...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Changes Reply with quote

As life goes on, things change. The area you speak of. may now be owned by Greg Shannon. He had a ditch cut across the road into the former gravel pit area to keep people out. That is why I mentioned finding your own place to hunt. There are still a lot of other places to go. Sorry about the old hunting area though.
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks again for the info. I undertsand how things change or move on whether your around or not...

So are you saying the Shannon owns in and around the gravel pit area now? We obviously spent most of our time hunting behind the airport around the little and big clearing, the East West Trail, North Trail, Shoe Road area. Is the land behind the airport still open to hunters?

We also spent a little time hunting over on Tower Road and Baseline Road but not as much as behind the airport...

Thanks for helping me gte caught up on the chnages these days....
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Hunting around the airport Reply with quote

Hunting around the airport has become challenging. There is a large group that hunt out of a cabin that is built right near the runway, the Fullerton group from St. Ignace. Shannon owns the lands north of the Township's airport property. Those fields you mentioned may be his hunting land now. He owns at the east end of the runway and may in fact own some of the runway unless things have changed. The shoe road now curves over and connects with the big clearing, and the old well in the clearing is filled in. That is a good thing as someone could have fallen in it and never gotten out.

The gravel pit area was used up when the airport was paved. That ridge area where the old railroad grade was, is now under the asphalt on the airport. That area is over the line south of Shannon and in Bob-lo Gardens Sub. The road into the former pit crosses Shannon's land to get there though. You need maps showing the lot and section lines to figure out where and where not to go. Confusing.

I used to hunt all over back there too. I gave up and now hunt over on the north side, or behind my home at Sand Bay.
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thats good intel right there Mike.

I remeber taking a few trips over to the North side with dad back in the day, so perhaps we will focus our efforts there. I'll have to see if I can get an updated map of the available land to hunt on BBI so we can start this process...

Thanks a ton for taking the time to lay this out for me. Would have been much better to "See" this happen over the years than to find out basically 15 years since our last visit - less confusing I guess...LOL
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunting around the airport Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
Shannon owns the lands north of the Township's airport property.

Yes - the Shannons. They are my kin folk. Cousins to be exact. I believe Phil's place is right next to our "old" family cabin....

Can't wait to get back up there and see the Island again....
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Shannon Reply with quote

This is Dr. Greg Shannon. I don't think he is related to the Shannon's in Pointe Aux Pins. Greg and other doctors formed a land partnership for deer hunting. It is a limited liability corporation.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not related to the Shannons in the pines
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance Matt Shannon is on this forum?

If you are - Sound Off..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: