Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

TDS pulling the plug on fiber drops to our homes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lampkams
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: TDS pulling the plug on fiber drops to our homes! Reply with quote

First to be clear, we do have and always have had TDS service since this whole thing began.

My wife and I are currently trying to compile info to challenge TDS. TDS had originally contracted with Creek for over 400 fiber drops in addition to the main fiber line. TDS backed that down to 96. While it might not seem like a concern now. In the long run the home owner would absorb the extreme cost to change to fiber if needed.

I have contacted the Dept of Agriculture Rural Development. A gentleman by the name of Alec Lloyd (517-324-5204) is in charge of the TDS grant. He is researching this to find the contract for me. Im hoping to get a copy under the Freedom of Information Act. This should tell us what we need to know.

Why you ask?
TDS either lied in the beginning or they are now!
If they are now, we might be able to keep them from getting paid by the Govt if they are in breech of contract.

Something does not feel right about how this is going down. Everything is very hush hush. We have contacted the Township and they do not have any info at all. We asked Creek in July after they cut our phone lines to be put us on the "LIST", this never happened.

TDS claims they sent out a "Flyer" of some sort which I never saw. Why is it that they have no problem getting my bill to me monthly but can't keep me informed the same way. This is a problem.

I understand that not everyone is in favor of TDS and fiber. That's not why I'm posting. I'm trying to compile info to help us fight TDS on this.

Thanks for any info

Robert Kaminski
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "heard" something to the effect That TDS was cutting the number of drops... and that you had to have existing service to now qualify for one. Fact- fiction rumor or whatever. Last year, I received a flyer questionaire asking if I wanted service and equipment installed at no charge... which is basically what they said at a meeting, well before that (which I attended).

I declined because I don't have existing service or want it, nor could I get them to tell me what it would cost? Contracts? I use Verizon wireless for both phone and 'net, pay as I go and am perfectly satisfied with it.

As of early fall, cable had been buried quite some distance to both east and west ends and they were installing drops to "some" residences.

Beyond that, the microwave towers have to be changed and upgraded, servers installed etc. This could take some time... Then hook it all up, see what catches fire and then fix it?

TDS has been secretive about a completion timeline. Creek is only a subcontractor.. Originally, this was all supposed to be completed up and running 2013.

If you get any more info, post it on the BBI FB group page as well as here.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all seemed behind the progression of cell service to start. Out of date very soon.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: fiber Reply with quote

Status report
It is late November, 2013. Creek is still here spicing fiber together. They melt the glass together using an arc of electricity. I'm sure they will leave shortly as the boat stops running on schedule at the end of Nov. I do not believe they are anywhere close to being done.

I was lucky enough to get the fiber to my home, even though originally I was told I would not get it. So, someday, I may be able to use it, if I do not grow old and die first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: