Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

empty nester
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islandboundjohn2
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Building Reply with quote

I purchased a couple lots this summer and then a few more adjoining lots last month through the DNR auction. I should have enough room to build and with a large enough yard. I had Joe Schlund put in the drive for me last fall. I've been reading and trying to gather as much info as possible. Everyone has been very helpful so far. I'm looking forward to getting up to the island this spring and get started on clearing the designated building site. First I would like to build a 8x 10 shed. The zoning info indicates that a permit is needed for all buildings. Not sure if this includes a shed?
John
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: sheds are buildings Reply with quote

Sheds are building or structures. The main intent of zoning is to make sure your structures are set back a set distance from your property line. My wife thinks that the latest zoning rules are at the township web site. She thinks that a shed CAN'T be built until the main dwelling is completed.
I built a shed and I first placed stakes to indicate the maximum size that could be made. Then someone came and checked that it was set back far enough. To do that, the property line must be determined and made obvious. after zoning was done, I built the tallest shed I could to hold more stuff. If the shed exceeds the maximum square footage, a building permit is required. That was the rules I followed about 5 years back.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules vary by county and sometimes townships. Allowed sq footage? There is often a distinction made between a "permanant" shed or a "portable" one on skids, not on a permanant foundation (sitting on blocks etc)
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Part of the problem with sheds.... is a good number of them become temporary sleeping/camping units for a long period of time. Might I suggest that you consider finding (now off season ) a good used camping trailer that can be used for sleeping and basic tool storage as you build. They are out there, you just have to keep looking.. Welcome to BBI property ownership.. you will find everyone will work with you if you follow the rules as best you can..

Uncle Steve
dvtester
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: sheds Reply with quote

I guess I got lucky. I found a parcel in the DNR auction that already has a shed on it. I am still wondering how this property ended up in auction. Now I am looking forward to coming up there this spring and filling it with stuff! I am not planning to build, I just want a spot to bring my camper in the summer.

Craig.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Craig...

You might want to check with zoning. I am not up to speed on rules or enforcement of same . Last I heard was that to move a camper on to vacant land, power brought in and a septic sys was a requirement. Most of the recent "camper-lots" I have seen have met those two requirements. Check with zoning.

It could be that your lot w/shed would not pass a perc test.
Islandboundjohn2
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip uncle Steve.
I printed up the entire zoning documents from the township today. Looks like some good winter reading Wink
I sure hope the property will pass the perk test. It's road frontage north shore dr and Cheboygan ave.
we'll see
dvtester
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

It sounds like we will be in the same neighborhood. The parcel I ended up with is on Cheboygan. Unlike most of the parcels in the auction, this one was already cleared, and it looked like it was being used by someone. I am still wondering why someone would do that on DNR land. Either they were squatting or someone is mistaken about the lot numbers. I guess I will know for sure when I get a survey done.

Interesting about the requirements to use a camper on your property. I guess I need to study the zoning rules better myself, although the boisblanc.org site is down right now.

Craig
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://boisblanctownship.org/building.asp

Zoning Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: