Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Bridge News

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Ice Bridge News Reply with quote

Any news from sandbay Mike?
strait lines
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news yet?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge is in and they have been crossing this week. However, as the temperature is supposed to climb above freezing this weekend, I'd expect some instability. Might be best to wait until everything freezes up again in the next few days, unless it gets really warm and the tree line blows out.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Ice bridge Reply with quote

I got sucked away to the dark side [facebook bbi group]. Dan has made a good point. The ice WAS thick enough before the thaw. The ice has slush on it right now that may freeze into a hard surface. Hope for snow to put down a thin covering.
The pressure crack is tall right now due to the expansion of the ice. That crack is near the island and runs east-west. The east end hits the shore near VanVoorhees place. One suggestion is to follow the pressure crack to near shore and get on land at the gazebo at Pointe aux Pins. No real need to cross over it. Use the crack as a guide like the trees are used as a guide.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Jan 18 2014 Ice Reply with quote

Jan 18 2014 Ice conditions.
People are entering/exiting the lake at the cable sign to avoid the pressure crack. Use the pressure crack as a guide to/from the treeline. Note the open water in the Round Island Passage and in front of Pointe aux Pins. The Sand Bay entry/exit is also usable if a gap is made or found in the pressure crack.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Mad
WTH...sounds like the ice is sketchy at best! Coldest air since the Ingle family was trapped in Mankato! I believe it was the same year Doc Baker had the Flu and Edwards started drinking again #Mad AND THE ICE IS STILL Like Mildred Bibles peanut Brittle!!! NOT GOOD
Ice Thickness???
Are the trails groomed???
I must get the Schroka winery for...WINE!!! #Mad
LARRY...LARRY...open up...I NEED A Cinnamon roll
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just us old Plaunt's sleds...he has them insured with gecko guy from the Island. If you sink it he'll get enough money to buy 2.... Shocked . And if Larry was making cinnamon roles I may even go over...

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Ice thickness Reply with quote

MEASURED ICE THICKNESS - CENTER OF SOUTH CHANNEL, March 10, 2014
I thought I would remove any speculation about ice thickness in the Straits of Mackinac. I went to the very center of the treeline from Sand Bay to Pries Landing. I then went to one side of the treeline where no snowmobiles have traveled. I then dug down to real ice, about a foot of snow. Previously I made a 4 foot long measuring stick with a cross piece attached at the bottom to hook the bottom of the ice. I did not measure to the water level after drilling the hole, but measured to the top of the real ice. - - -> 21 inches thick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: