Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Havent been in a while :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Havent been in a while :( Reply with quote

I used to visit the island every year and stay for at least a couple months with my grandparents. But sadly, they sold their place up there and i havent really been able to stay on the island as much Sad I've been able to camp the past couple years at the Lincoln lodge and just setting up a tent somewhere. I've been wondering, since i am not able to stay for extended periods of time, I would like to know when the best camping times are, last year there was a steady rain and 50 degree weather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gilda
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Kacy if it was me I would come up the first week of Sept. seems all the people are gone and most of the bugs, but I am not the expert, just the island massage therapist.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either come up before Labor Day weekend or after, that would be the best time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

August is great camping. If you come in September or October you have to be careful where you set up a tent, because hunting seasons begins. First early goose, then duck, then bow, etc. Also, if you plan on camping on state land, the state of Michigan has a law that the state says it is enforcing, you must bave a state land camping permit. You can stop at the Indian River Office and get a stack of the state land camping permits. It must be filed on site...post it to a tree or something visible. Without it, someone can come and park right next to you, post the permit, and you have to move. You need to be sure that you are on state land too. Last year someone not familiar with the island parked their tent in the boat launch area on Mary's Lake, and were upset because people were driving over "their" site to get the boats in the water, even though that is not state land, nor a camping spot. You should always let the sheriff, state police or DNR know where you are camping in case of emergency. Like you get burned or a bad storm drops a tree, you got the idea. And don't forget the local burn permit requirement. That about sums up the spontaneous idea of camping in Michigan now.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Information..... Thank You Cindy
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: wow... Reply with quote

Wow... Thatís more information than I would ever have expected.
I am planning on going to the island July 9th and the 10th. I am going to bring a tent and bike around the island. I was planning on setting up a camp site somewhere on the north shore. The only map Iíve been able to look at with any detail is the one with the Plaunt's schedule. The map shows a camp area right off Bible Road (I know where itís at, I remember going past there lots of times...) But what I was wondering, was, is there any other state camp sites (easily accessible by mountain bike)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: oh..... Reply with quote

Don't think I didnít take your suggestions into account. I would really rather have visited sometime in September (or even in the autumn), but my plant is on shut down for a couple weeks in the summer so its the only time I could make it up there. Sad
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a camp site on each of the 3 major inland lakes, 2 of which are accessible from Fire Tower Road, and the other one, Lake Mary, is accessible from the Main Road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: