Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello Bob-Lo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PineIslander
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Hello Bob-Lo! Reply with quote

Hello everyone-

I just returned from my first visit to the Island and am already planning my return visit.

I'd like to spend more time there next summer, and am lucky enough to be able to work remotely provided I can set up broadband Internet access. Any input anyone has, particularly in regards to the availability of DSL and experiences with service providers, would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Broadband Internet Connection Reply with quote

PineIslander,

Insel Haus, Our Bed and Breakfast/Retreat Center on the island has eight rooms with Broadband Internet connections. The signal goes by line of sight to Cheboygan and via fiber optics from there to wherever! It is very fast. Check out our web sites. Either www.inselhausbandb.com or www.retreat-center.com.

Shelby
Innkeeper
PineIslander
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelby-

Thanks for the reply, I'm the guy you loaned a plunger to a couple weeks back. We really enjoyed your hospitality in helping us prepare our memorial feast for Uncle Bunk, thanks again for everything.

I was asking about broadband service with the goal of getting it hooked up to the Clark cottage in Point Aux Pins. Does the signal come line-of sight directly to Insel Haus or does it go to the tower over by the Hoover Center and from thence to copper wire to you? Are there any competitors or does your service provider have the only thing going? Do you have contact information for the company you use?

Thanks again for the loan of the plunger, it was hard keeping up with my nephews and their paper usage. A plunger is at the top of my list for hardware to be procured for next summer!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Broadband DSL Reply with quote

PineIslander,

If there are no trees intervening I believe you should be able to reach out to Blaze Connect in Cheboygan and gain access to their broadband connection. We have a ten foot mast on the roof topped by a device about one foot by two feet in size. It transmits by line of sight to Cheboygan. The monthly fee is $49.95. Its really fast!

Contact Gregg at Blaze Connect, 520 North Main, Cheboygan, MI 49721.
231-597-0376.

The plunger stands ready should you call.

Shelby of Insel Haus
PineIslander
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Shelby! I'll give Blaze Connect a call and see what can be done. There's a stand of pines in front of the cottage, but depending where the Cheboygan tower is I might be able to shoot across the neighbor's clearing and get there, or maybe I'll just have to work from the beach (no sacrifice there).

This information makes an extended stay next summer emininently more do-able. Thanks again for your help! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: