Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Need information on the Neil Family...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Jaimie Brehler
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Need information on the Neil Family... Reply with quote

To whom it may concern,

I am the grandson of the Neil family that resides not far from the ferry docks on Bois Blanc Island. I have only met them twice in my life time and unfortunately had a falling out with my father Bob Neil (their son) a few years back so I have lost touch with them. I have even forgotten their first names although I believe my grandfather’s name was Donald?

If you happen to know their first names and what has happened to them since around 1997 (last time I saw them) I would greatly appreciate knowing as well.

Sincerely,

Mr. Jaimie A. Brehler
jabrehler@msn.com
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember seeing a mailbox that said "D NEIL" on it, but I don't think it's there anymore... Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Dan
Mr. Jaimie Brehler
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: D. Neil Reply with quote

Dan thank you for your response. I was just informed that my grand parents had passed away a few years ago and their home sold about two years ago. It was a two story barn style home located about 1/4 mile east of the Ferry docks and right on the water. My grandfather used to be involved with the fire department, clearing a path for snowmobiles to the mainland, the ferries and more from what I recall being told. I know his name was Don or Donald but I do not recall well what my grandmother's first name was. I think it was Fran or Francis? I did not meet the family until after I tracked my father down when I was 22-23 years old and I only met his parents twice, his brother and one of his two other sons once Crying or Very sad then we had a falling out when I came home from a year in Bosnia with the US Army. Confused
Mr. Jaimie Brehler
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: I found what I was looking for, Thank you! Reply with quote

A memorial service for Donald J. Neil was held Sunday August 19 at the Church of the Transfiguration. He died June 10, in Cheboygan. He was 89 years old, born in Watertown, NY. He had a twin sister, Pat. Don moved to Michigan in 1930, and retired from the Ford tractor plant in Highland Park, and moved to the Island in 1972—near the turnoff to the Firetower Rd. He served as chief of the volunteer fire department and also as harbor master. He enjoyed helping Ray Plaunt on the boat as a deck hand from time to time. His wife Francis preceded him in death. They had two sons and a daughter, 8 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His granddaughter - would be your cousin lives in Montrose. Her son, Anthony, was in my cub scout den. When your grandfather passed away she brought the kids up a lot because she didn't think they would be able to come backafter it sold. But the people who have the house now are very nice, we met them labor day weekend for the first time.
Mr. Jaimie Brehler
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Cindy Reply with quote

Cindy,

thank you for your kind response. I never met any of my cousins. I have seen only a photograph of one named Donnie or Donny. I have met my brother Sean but not Michael the eldest one.

I grew up in Brighton, MI just under 30 miles away from Sean and Michael and never knew they existed until I found my father at 22.

I then also found out that my fathers current wife Janet grew up just under 3miles away from me in Brighton and knew most of the people I knew growing up but we never personnally met.

What a strange world it can be.

I met my grand parents twice and my grandmother gave me quite a bit of family history. Her father was a motorcycle cop for Roosevelt, her other grandfather a General during WWI. And she told me about the things my grandfather did with Henry Ford and there on the island.

I really enjoyed getting to know the family I never knew. Then my father and I had a falling out after I came home from a year in Bosnia with the US Army and I could no longer bring myself to speak to him and so I lost contact with the rest of the family as well.

Thanks again for your response Cindy.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: i knew Reply with quote

I knew your Grandparents .. Don and Fran ...
I lived on the island when they moved there ..
my husband and his father build the foundation for their home and build the garage ..

they were good people ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remember Anthony's mother's name, it is Tammi, and her dad is your uncle. I wish you good luck in finding your family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: