Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

July 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: July 2005 Reply with quote

Hi--
My name is Ginny-- I go up to Mac for the Chicago Mac yacht race every year and wanted to spend more time up there. I like walking/hiking--

I am looking for an inexpensive place to stay-- any suggestions? Can I get near the Round Island Lighthouse-- I would love to get some pictures from a different side---

How does it work for groceries? I will not have a car. Is the island a safe place for a lady alone---LOL Is there bus service from Mackinaw City to Cheboygan? Or do I need to get a cab? I will be coming there after my trip to mac.

Thanks
Ginny Cool
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ginny,

Let's see if I can shed some light on your questions.
Quote:
I am looking for an inexpensive place to stay-- any suggestions?
Inexpensive is a relative term, you should check this link from Bois Blanc Island Realty. It has numbers for most of the island rentals and the motel. You'll probably even find a link to Bridge View Beach House Wink . You'll probably want to find a place in the "Pines" though since you'll be afoot.

Quote:
Can I get near the Round Island Lighthouse-- I would love to get some pictures from a different side---
As far as I know, the Round Island Light is not visible from our island. It's very possible that I'm wrong though. Maybe someone from the extreme west end could answer that question better.

Quote:
How does it work for groceries? I will not have a car.
It's best to bring your own groceries, however Hawk's Landing does carry the bare necessities as well as serve breakfast, lunch & dinner. I think it would be tough for the average person to visit the island without some means of transportation. You did mention that you like walking/hiking, so maybe it would be okay for you.

Quote:
Is the island a safe place for a lady alone---LOL
Laughing I think biting insects would be your biggest fear.

Quote:
Is there bus service from Mackinaw City to Cheboygan? Or do I need to get a cab?
Shrug Suggestions anybody?

Hope you make it to the island next summer, you may find it a refreshing retreat from that other island. Very Happy

Rob
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Rob Reply with quote

Thanks Rob--
I do like to walk-- when on Mac I walk the island perimeter each morning.

I did call Judy Munro about the A-frame. I think I will see about renting that-- She said that Round Island obscures the view-- may have to see about hiring someone to take me out there and get some photos. I have tons from the shore of Mac Island but wanted some of the back side.

I am coming from Nevada--taking the train to Kzoo-- then bus to Mac City-- then a week on Mac and figured I would need some peace and quiet after that--

May try and see if I can get someone to just boat me over from Mac-- and back when I am done--I will gladly pay.

I can always rent a car but is just seems redundant to rent a car to pay for parking and not use while on Mac--LOL BTW-- if I do rent a car-- is the Ferry fee of $41 for a car the one way fare? Thought it might be.

Thanks for the help--hope to see you this summer.

Ginny
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up at Munro's, who ever brought you by boat could probably beach it right in front of the A frame, I think the beach is not too bad there. Would be a pretty quick ride from Mackinac too. If you do rent a car, the ferry fees listed are for a round trip.
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--
I may just end up renting a car-- I just hate to do that and let it just sit for a week while on Mac-- but looks like that may be the easiest way.

I am sooooo looking forward to seeing your Island-- it sounds heavenly-- still need to find someone to take me out to get flicks of the Round Island Lighthouse. I may beable to talk Judy into it-- she said they offer a free ride to Mac Island and since I will have just come from there maybe I can talk her into a sail around the lighthouse instead.

You people are so nice-- bet I will be making this part of my regular stip to MI.

Thanks again--
Ginny
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Welcome ginny to this site !!

I used to live on bois blanc island ....

lived in alaska then on to nevada. lived there from 1986 to 2000 ..

then to texas ..

I loved nevada ... I lived in Eureka ... elko and Carlin ...

I have been to Reno alot ..

The Island is great .. I was just there this summer ..it was a delight..
you will love it !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: theislandgirl Reply with quote

Theisland girl--
Are you going to go back this summer-- I will be there the week after Mac race-- July 24th to the 31sr. Was gonna stay 2 weeks but Judy suggested that I try it for one and see if I like it. Would be nice to already know someone before I got there.

I take it there is no way to connect ot the internet while there--lol

Hope to see you--
ginny
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ginny,

Some of us here on the island do have internet access via satellite. Some used to have internet access via phone with a company, but the company decided it wasnt worth it. Some use calling cards, and some pay the long distance phone calls. It's a different way of life over here, and you make due with what you have, it's that simple. I have lived here for nearly 50 years and have seen alot of changes, but never thought I'd ever see internet access. It's definately my form of intertainment. Glad to have you aboard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: internet Reply with quote

Thanks for the info-- I check in with dh using the internet. I also am a Weight Watcher adviser ( definately not at goal but trying Sad ) When on vacation I usually have to check in and do some work-- may just check into a calling card. Or just tell them I am on vacation.

I have decided to rent a car this year-- hate paying rent for a car when I am on Mac-- cause it just sits there and I have to pay parking too--I will check on Mac to see if I can hire a boat to bring me over to the island for the following year. Boy I am already planning to be there for 2006--

I take the train from Reno to Kzoo and will rent a car there-- after being on your island I will head to either Glen Arbor or Leland for a couple days-- any suggestions as to which I should do? Then to Ludington for 2 days and then back to Kzoo to head home Sad

I am so excited about coming to the island-- now I can't wait till July-- of course I have to work to get the $$ together for this trip.

Huggs
ginny
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck in your adventures!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get internet access at Hawks Landing.

We have a Cousin's Reunion on the Island the last weekend in July.. Maybe I will run into you! Welcome to the site, Ginny.. Very Happy
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Al's Sister Reply with quote

Thanks--for the Info-- I at least should check in and let dh know I am still alive-- not that he cares---I am used to being on the web a lot-- heck that is how I found you guys.

I hope to see you-- I enjoy meeting new people and this place sounds like a slice of heaven-- think that is what is keeping me going at work right now-- I am working 21 days straight-- 2 days off and the work fromOctober 25 to Jan 3---

Ginny
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

RenoGin...

Hopefully I can get to the island this coming summer .. not sure just when yet ..... It would be great to met you and it does help alot if you know someone there ...

Al's Sister is my cousin ..
She would be a great help if you are both on the island at the same time ...

We will keep in touch and maybe I will be there too .. Maybe I will plan my trip while the cousins reunion is going on .. My Mom and I will be going at the same time .. so I will have to see what is a good time for her too ...
shes flying down from alaska .. I will be coming in from Texas ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: by the way Reply with quote

By the way RenoGin ..

I am a lifetime member of weight watchers !! Smile

Alot of changes they have made since I joined in 1989..

The speaker here is soooo great ... It really makes a diffrence !! Exclamation

Not only can we relate cause we both lived in Nevada ( I loved it )..we have Weigh watchers behind us !!
Now you have to get to the Island !! HOPE WE ARE THERE AT THE SAME TIME ..WOULD LOVE TO MET YOU !!
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Theeislandgirl Reply with quote

Now we have to meet!!! I am lifetime plus 30#-- got bit by a spider and gained when I ws on steroids-- now trying to lose--LOL but not doing so well--

I plan to be ont he island from July 24rh ro July 31-- I surely hope to meet you!!!

Ya now-- at first when I posted to this BB I thought ok this might be interesting-- but now I know I am coming to the island and will probably be ther for every year I can swing it after.

Hey-- can I ship some wine to the island and have it waiting for me somewhere??-- hard to take it ont he train-!!!

Gin
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

The family reunion is the last weekend of July ....

Maybe we can plan to be there before then .. so we can met and then I will be able to go to the family Reunion on the island ... I was not able to make it this year as I was at a wedding that weekend ..then went to the island the next week ...

I will tell you right now that I know you will be coming to the island each year ...you will love it !!........ You will be hopping from one island to the next ...... they are so diffrent too !!

Glad you are here among us Island lovers !!

I will see if I can get someone there to hold the wine for you .....

till next time ....

theeislandgirl !!
RenoGin
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Theeislandgirl Reply with quote

Well if you are ever out Reno way let me know-- I have a large house and an nice guest room---

If you get to the island early you can spend a night with me--if you don't mind being with a fat old lady. Can't believe I am 54 years old. I need to call Judy and let her know I want the place--

Feel free to e-mail me at RenoGin@aol.com or IM me at the same. I am on aol.

Thanks
Gin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: