Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

North shore cemetary - GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: North shore cemetary - GPS Reply with quote

I Just spent the last weekend on the island and I always hear that there are quite a few people that would like to see the North shore Cemetary and Mary McRae's tombstone. I didn't get a great reading on my GPS, as it was cloudy and all the trees effect the signal - But is said it was reading within 50 feet - That should be close enough for some one to find it.
N 45-47-441
W084-27-337
I have written about a 12 page article on the history of the McCrae and Kerr family, along with lighthouse keepers info and north shore School along with a list of students in the early 1900's. Includes some nice pictures of many of the people and pictures of the McCrae home.
There is also a list of most of the names that are buried at the site where Mary was laid to rest.
I sent a copy of this to Rob several months ago and he was going to put it on this site - If he don't, I can email this to anyone interested.
This story and most of the information was given to me by Everett Jewell, who is Mary McCrae's great grandson

Last edited by Ron Petersen on Wed May 07, 2003 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Directions Reply with quote

If you take the north shore drive west from Bible road to your third left that goes up a hill to a meadow, then follow the tracks to the left you will come to a hill, climb up and look a little to your left and walk a hundred yards and you wil be there (for those without GPS it is really easy to find by these directions)
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man u hit that right on with those directions, Bruce. Hey Ron, could you email me that article please, i love reading about the histry of the island. JeepFreek@knology.net
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies to Ron. The start of the article can be found at http://www.bois-blanc.com/mcrea.htm It's very interesting!

Again I appologize Ron, time has been at a premium for me lately. If anybody would like to volunteer to finish converting the Word doc to html Ron and I would both appreciate it! Very Happy
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron,

sheila and i have been looking for your email address could you please email me at

bbire@nmo.net

thank you,

jeff godbold
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, I would love to read the article Ive always wanted to go out there but never have. thanks. email is- Leebird213@hotmail.com
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean Fire Tower Road, then west, as you can only go east from Bible Road... Thank you for the info and yes, I'm interested too.. Please send the article to hoppyshollow@bignet.net.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the article to those of you that responded - I hope it came through OK for you - And yes it is west of fire tower road, not bible road - As always on Boblo - If you don't have a GPS - TAKE A COMPASS - When you get in the woods everything looks the same. One interesting note - when we got there last Sunday, we Jumped a deer that was lying in the Cemetary!!!!!
There seems to me that there is a lot of Repetiton in the article I put together, but I wasn't sure how to put it together with out doing it this way.
It might not be 100% correct, but the info came from Everett Jewell (Biff) and a few other sources that he had rounded up for me - If you ever get a chance to talk to him - Do It - Him, along with Jim Vospers, (they were good friends) are walking books of knowledge about the history of the island. The reason I did this is Someday they won't be here and this information will be gone!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Could you send one to: bknoll@birchrun.k12.mi.us ?? Thanks
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: OK OK Reply with quote

Yea I thought about that at work today and realized I screwed up. Turn west at Firetower Rd. Then third left Whatever, it seems easy once you've ben there.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Cemetary Reply with quote

Right on Bruce - Who knows- if someone followed your directions they might have discovered something new!! Laughing
Bruce's directions are right, but I would ad this - After you turn west from Firetower road, it is probably the 3rd drive, But it will be the first one you come to that is actually being used - don't try the others, as they don't go through. also, use a high clearance vehicle as there ae some deep ruts on the trail going back to the clearing - if you park at the road, you have about a 1/4 mile hike. Just follow the tracks back to the east at the clearing until the tracks quit and you will see where people have been going up the small bluff - Watch out for the Mountain Lions!!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Correction on the article Reply with quote

To everyone I sent the article to Please note: Brad Knoll noticed something on Mary's dates on the part about the cemetary and the dates - I copied it out of the info I got OK but noticed by looking at a closeup of Mary's tombstone - she died in 1897 and was 72 years old which should make her birth date in 1824 - Not 1854 - If you can change her birth date if you like or at least you will know it.
It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't some more little things to find Rolling Eyes
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I finally finished converting the article to HTML! It has a new address though, it's at http://mk.bois-blanc.com . I'll add a link to it on the front page soon. Thanks for contributing!

Rob
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: History Reply with quote

Great - I'm sure the info isn't 100% correct - but I thought It would be something that every one would enjoy.
Thanx..............Ron
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Mary McRae Reply with quote

I was finally able to find Mary this past weekend after several failed trips. I couldn't believe we actually found her. What a beautiful resting place. I wonder what the area looked like over 100 years ago when she was laid to rest?

We also found the "big rock" on Sunday. What in the world is that huge rock doing in the middle of the woods? I know there is some scientific explanation; but it is beyond me.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Mary's Grave Reply with quote

I'm glad you found the Grave - I was up there about 3 weeks ago and with all the leaves, I couldn't get a good GPS signal - But I knew where it was - As far as how the Big Rock got there - It hurt to walk with it in my shoe, so that's where I left it!!
Ya Right!!!.Ron
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always know we are on the right trail to Mary's grave by the fruit trees at the base of the hill, they seem to continue to thrive in there.
RSears75
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Thank you for the coordinates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: