Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Winter on BBI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Winter on BBI Reply with quote

I expect to be labeled one of the lucky ones. This is my second winter on the Island. Even when the weather is bad and that's not often, Bois Blanc is beautiful. Christa has (film) editing commitments so for the time being she's in Farmington Hills. For those of you to whom Michigan is only that mitten on the map Farmington Hills is almost three hundred miles south of the Straits. Til she can join the winter set here Teddy Bear, our dog, and I are holding down the fort. This is our first winter keeping Insel Haus open for guests and retreats.

What do folks do here in the winter time? There is a social scene! Loren and Marcia Gibbons had a great party a few weeks ago. This time of year that means you bring another pair of shoes or slippers or do what I did - leave your boots in the mud room and move about in your stocking feet. Some of my neighbors were off the island during Christmas visiting family and friends elsewhere. Fifteen of us maintaied the peace on BBI. We really succeeded! It WAS peaceful and quiet. Lee and Jack Iaftrate had a small dinner party and when they found out I was by my lonesome (Insel Haus sleeps twenty!) they invited me. Meal was fantastic, conversation great - and I was sent home with a doggy bag that served to remind me of one of the reasons Jack married Lee. Their home will be invaded again on New Year's eve when everyone on the Island is invited to an end of the year party. Bring your own drink and a dish to pass. There may be as many as twenty of us!

Meanwhile Teddy and I are enjoying winter on Bois Blanc. We are growing old together. For Teddy Bear, who will be twelve in March, I offer this image of advancing age as evidence. Mick Kimball drove by the other day and reported seeing several deer running across our meadow with Teddy in pursuit - just loping along - and bringing up the rear - several more deer! Wish I had seen that line up! He knows he can't catch them. They know he can't catch them. And all having a great time!!!

Hey, these things called web sites and email are great. Regular US mail is flown in just twice a week - Monday and Thursday - weather permitting.

If you decide to visit Bois Blanc's winter scene check out our web site, www.inselhausbandb.com. Fly in from Cheboygan or St. Ignace. Join Teddy and me in front of a roaring fire and forget about that madhouse called town.

Happy New Year

Shelby
The Innkeeper
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year to you too, Shelby.. Did you get the personal album figured out? I've been waiting to see more of your pictures.. Very Happy Wish I were there on the Island! Pat Teddy for me.. Very Happy
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: winter on b.b.i. Reply with quote

Shelby, sounds like a great start to a new year!! Cool I cannot think of a better place to spend a winter with mans best friend. Put another log on the fire and stay warm your guests are looking for a slice of winter solitude that you have just described. -Regards in 2005 Kevin- Laughing
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year, Shelby - Sam and I look forward to seeing you and Teddy again in 2005!

Dan
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: winter on BBI Reply with quote

The social scene on Bois Blanc really picks up during the winter. Sunday morning breakfast is served at different homes each week. Eggs and bacon at Clover and Joe Schlund, pancakes at the Schroka's, this coming Sunday Loren and Marsha Gibbons will host us and that means about 20 . . . the entire island! Louise and Gregg's log cabin is too small so folks will gather at our place, Insel Haus, on the 30th. Not sure what Louise will serve, but I'm ready. The weather's been very strange. It seems there's more snow in southeastern Michigan than here in the North country. That's not a complaint. Just an observation. Wind chill the other night was a minus 21 degrees. But that was outside. Inside with a roaring fire it's great. Teddy and I are still bachelors, but we fly off the island in a few days to attend the Michigan Township Association annual meeting in Detroit. That means we see Christa soon. Teddy loves to fly and sit up front. But our pilot, Dale Hoffman, won't let him. Says he can't keep his four feet off the controls!

When Ted isn't chasing deer he sometimes sits down and writes. Here's piece he wrote the other day.

I love it here. What dog wouldn't? Islands were made for us no matter what people say. Want space for running? We got it! Forest for hunting and surprises. Got that too. Never know what's around the next tree. Sleepin' in the afternoon sun? Can't beat that!` And water! Old man Midas should have gold like we got water! There are dogs who think water's for drinking. They don't know the half of it. Walk on it in winter, swim in summer. What a life!
And Insel Haus! My folks think they run it. What they don't know is I check on everyone who comes in. So far they've all passed. They say I have a great disposition. True! I never met a person I didn't like. Visitors want to know if I'm a Malamute, Akita, or Collie? Fact is I'm all three. And that's cool. Now when it comes to dogs that's another story. Believe me, there are some I could do without.
Let me tell you about Shelby. He does have some peculiar habits. For example, he keeps running this survey. A regular Gallup! Says, some day he'll submit the results for an analysis. He asks adults and kids the same question. "I'll tell you this dog's first name. It's Teddy. You guess his second." The results are unbelievable! Nine out of ten adults answer, "Roosevelt!" Are they kidding? Look at me. Teddy Roosevelt? Go figure! The kids get it right though. Nine out of ten answer, "BEAR!"
I've been sticking around for eleven years now. They play their cards right I'll hang in here a while yet. When you get right down to it Insel Haus is an interesting place. Never know who'll be coming through that door next.

Teddy Bear
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sweet Shelby..... We Love our Doggies for sure.... And we know our doggies Love us.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy's got it right!!! There's no place like Bob-Lo in the winter time. We seem to all become one big family.....no bickering......no politics.....no dust....no bugs! The "no bugs" is definately a big plus.

It's so beautiful here. The snow stays stark white all winter long. There's none of that brown, sloppy nonsense that the people on the mainland have to put up with.

We sadly no longer have an inside pet, but with so much wildlife in and out of the yard each and every day, that we consider them our "out door" pets. We have a family of 4 partridges living under our front porch....a flock of about 10 turkeys that come in to feed.....about 6 deer that come in for the same, and countless birds to the feeders and watering dish.

Here's to the, white, peacefulness, solitude and family of Bob-Lo in the winter :cheers: , and Teddy too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: