Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Winter on the island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Winter on the island Reply with quote

Does anyone know.....is there a way in the winter for common folk to get to the island in the winter besides the ice bridge? Is there someone you could pay to get you there? I have ofter heard people say it is the most beautiful time of the year and I would love to see it. Thanks...Brad
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Jeff & Sheila's site http://www.bbi-realestate.com/files/directions.html :
Quote:
you can also fly to the island via Hoffman Air Service, contact at 1-800-801-0413, or the Cheboygan airport number is 231-627-5571.
Not sure how you would get around though. Last year we left our old truck at the airport thinking we'd fly in but never did. Rolling Eyes We didn't bother this year.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffman's for sure.. You can split the cost and share a ride with someone.. Depending on weather is a factor. They will call you and make other arrangements if they see bad weather coming while you are on the Island. Sometimes sooner than you want unless you want to get snowed in... That's always what I hope.. Winter is awesome and even more so if you can do the ice bridge.. Hope it makes.. If you have one Bud on the Island you have transportation.. Those people love diversions in the wintertime!! My favorite ski trail was the microwave tower trail back to the Twins.. Hey Clover... Is anyone doing a taxi service for gas and beer? If I were there, I would..
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: I am coming with Susie.... Reply with quote

If she comes, I come. If she gets snowed in, I want to be snowed in to. If she runs a taxi for gas and beer, I am there with bells on! Uh Oh, what do we do about our Jobs? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil um! I am voting for an ice bridge, I hope Mother Nature is listening!

Sorry Rob, atleast I bleeped myself, kids will never figure it out....LOL!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry Lisa, the *oops I typed a naughty word* word sensor is on. You can type *hind end*, *poop*, *darn*, *female dog* all you want and they won't show. Laughing Sorry to pollute your post Brad.

Back to the topic at hand, "winter on the island".

Even though there is no official ferry schedule for December, it does run, weather permitting. Kirsten & I took the 9:30 am ferry last new year's eve day over to the island. It looks way different with no leaves and white stuff on the ground!
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Winter Island Reply with quote

We flew in with the mail a few years ago when the ice bridge had not formed, and lucky winter residents are very helpful in "delivering" just about anywhere...we had a blast! Laughing
Zach
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:06 pm    Post subject: Winter Trip Reply with quote

I have never been over to the island in the wintertime, but I am hoping to make a trip this January. I have a few questions that you all might be able to help me with:

What's the best way to get across the lake in January? If the ice bridge freezes, when does it freeze? Would it even be an option in January? Somebody mentioned a boat trip to the island around new years one year. I know that Curt's schedule says all trips after November are by the captain's discretion, but do any of you know, generally, how often the boat runs through the winter? Taking a plane over might be somewhat beyond my means, but I don't mind snowshoeing or skiing when I get there.

I don't mean to hit you with a ton of questions, but I am really interested in making this trip happen, and I am, admittedly, not too familiar with the island in the winter. Any ideas would be much appreciated! Smile
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Zach, it all depends on Mother Nature. Curt does do weekly trips, we call them shopping trips, until the ice won't let him anymore.. You would have to keep up to date with him for a ferry crossing at that time.. If, and that's a big IF, the weather cooperates and we get sub zero temps for a few weeks in December you may have ice.. I would recommend checking with the Coast Guard prior to coming.. The plane trip is an up and down kind of trip.. I usually try to share a ride with someone and split the cost.. You could probably arrange something by calling Hoffman's.. There has been times when it's the only option.. If you wanted to do an ice crossing, I would recommend waiting 'til February. And even then there is no guarantee.. You will find contact info for Hoffman's somewhere on this site and you could probably get contact info for the Coast Guard.. Good luck with you trip.. Hope it all works out.. I'm not sure about the plane trip cost. It's been a while.. I remember $60. But can't remember if that was round trip or what..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: