Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Finally a web site!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Finally a web site! Reply with quote

I'm very pleased someone took the time to do this. I built a cabin on Bob-Lo in 1999 and try to go up every other weekend all summer. Also a couple of extended periods when I'm lucky.I will be workin on my place for a few more years and then my wife(Mary)and I will be able to spend summers Laughing
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hello Bruce,

Good to have you here. That's quite a long trek up from Indiana every other weekend, but great that you can do it. I'd like to hear more about your experiences in building a cabin on the island - I am hoping to do the same in the next 4-5 years (after decades of staying in a 12x12' shack). I'll need to determine who to talk to about foundation, permits, etc. - I do have a well in place.

Hope to see you on one of your weekend trips this year.

Take care,
Dan Reynolds
(north of Thompson Lake)
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Hi Bruce Reply with quote

Hi Bruce (& Mary),
Glad you found this place! Considering you live in Indiana, you must be one of the frequent Friday 10:00 PM ferry riders. That must be quite a ride. I feel lucky that it only takes us between 2.5 to 3 hrs to get up there. We're up just about every weekend in the summer. Hope to see you around. Welcome to the site!

Rob
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, What I did was take a summer off work and go for it. After about six months of planning and getting zoning aproval and permits I got the site cleared and started building I used a treated wood foundation which was very easy to put in myself in three days and built a kit log home with weekend help with heavy timbers. I started first boat and left last boat and it was the dream of a lifetime. Just wish I could spend more time up there now. Our cabin is on the south side of Mary's Lake and most everyone at Hawks or the bar could tell you how to get there we will be there the whole week of July 4th stop by and we can talk and you can see what we've done and I can give you my knowledge(however limited it might be) of the easiest way to pull it off.Looking forward to meeting you Bruce Laughing
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan, Yea thats me a weekend warrior always on the 10:00 and usually get there at 9:45. We drive a maroon suburban if you see it stop and say hey. This site is really going to be great I can't say enough. We built our cabin on Mary,s Lake straight south of the boat ramp but it is back from the lake a few hundred feet so you cant see it unless you drive all the way around and look stop by and say HI Very Happy
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Weekend warrior Reply with quote

Bruce Lord wrote:
Hi Dan, Yea thats me a weekend warrior always on the 10:00 and usually get there at 9:45. We drive a maroon suburban if you see it stop and say hey. This site is really going to be great I can't say enough. We built our cabin on Mary,s Lake straight south of the boat ramp but it is back from the lake a few hundred feet so you cant see it unless you drive all the way around and look stop by and say HI Very Happy

We came screaming in at 10:00 last Friday night, Curt was standing on the deck behind the pilot house waiting for us -- thank goodness for cell phones. I'm pretty sure I stumbled across your place a few weekends ago when Kirsten and I were out exploring the "roads" Wink If I see your 'burban I'll say hi. I'm usually driving some kind of old used car with a dealer plate and a BEST BUY AUTO CENTER sticker on the tail. More than likely we'll end up close to each other since I like to show up at quarter 'til also. Thanks again for the thumbs up on the site.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: