Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

This just in...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: This just in... Reply with quote

sound file download> http://home.swbell.net/kf5tv/voicemail.mp3

I promise not to make a regular habit of posting things sent to me. Nor will I ever post anything offensive or "adult". Every so often something comes along that is worth sharing... "rich" if you will. I thought this sound clip was absolutely hilarious... mostly because it was real. I had to listen to it 3-4 times

Clue: this is about a man involved in a car accident with four elderly women. So sit down and have a "ringside seat"

The file size is about 1.3megs. Takes about 5 min download with dial up. A few seconds with broadband.

Hope you laugh as hard as I did.

Conis
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Haaa Haaaaa
Praise the Lord, Mother Goose
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Some Good advice for everyone.... Reply with quote

Conis comment: Unlikely on BBi but elsewhere? Just passing along worthwhile information, is all...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sheila Gentis
State of Nevada
Division of Industrial Insurance Regulation
775-684-7284

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and tthey would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention
to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals you or a friend's vehicle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Conis, Adding to this information), I have become aware that there are black market radio transmitter devices that rapidly scan and transmit digital door unlock codes until they get a "hit". You wouldn't even be aware that this was being done by a theves in a nearby parked car. They see your cars lights flash(=unlocked) and they are in. Maybe take a minute or half an hour. No hurry.

The good news is that newer remotes now have what they term "rolling" codes, that constantly change, making them harder to hack and much more secure. But that still doesn't resolve the vin#/key problem.

I have a remote starter/door locks on my 03 GM pickup. Odd that my stanley garage door opener occasionally/randomly starts my truck or locks/unlocks the doors? Things that make you say Hmmmmmm.....

We are so trusting of the technology we take for granted?
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Too bad there wasn't a video clip to go with it. Now THAT would have been a sight to see!! I will always carry my bible and umbrella for ultimate protection from now on!! Laughing
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, Camille! Laughing I really enjoyed that Conis... Thank you! Very Happy Thanks for the 'protecting the security of your car' tips too.. Hey, I've heard rumors the national ID card will be coming out soon.. Have you heard anything on that? We have a section in a Northern weekly with tons of believe it or not stuff.. Always a fun read.. Very Happy
a_little_kidder_1212
Black Fly Bait

Location: I'm the boogeyman so im hiding in yur closet...BOO! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Laughing That was hilarious!!! I was cracking up!!!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Yo Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

You know... I post some of this stuff because I find it ?... Fun or food for thought... worthwhile if nothing else. I see this website as more than just about BBi stuff, but more of a consortium of folks with the same core values-ideals and beliefs. So I go out on a limb. Vanity isn't my strong suit. I just like to know what others think... Maybe to be sure I am not way out there?

You know... I have been posting on this site for over a year, on-off. None of you would know me by sight on BBi, I come up several times each summer incognito and incommunicato.

If someone comes up to you at Hawks and say "I B Conis and U B ?"
Whatcha gonna do? Hope you would invite me to sit and BS?

Anyway. I enjoy this site. I enjoy releveant issues that I think pertain to "us all". I will be there on "all of it" so long as my posts are enjoyed and welcomed. I have much to contribute and share, on many fronts and issues so long as they are in tune.

yer bud,

Conis,

PS Thanks for letting me be a part of this site.

And PSS, The sound clip? A video would be "lessening". Imagine getting a voice mail as vivid and descriptive as that! That guys laugh is infectous! Hilarious! As he says when he just loses it... "This is just too good, I wish you were here". This incedent being something one would witness once in 10 lifetimes. Go Tomahawk, Mother Goose! Dial 'em in!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a footnote to the security/keys issue - I recently helped a friend rescue an old Pontiac station wagon from the crusher. The keys had long since been lost. I had him contact a GM dealer, and they required him to bring in the ORIGINAL title (not a copy or a temporary title), with his name, and proof of ID before they would issue keys. And this was for a rusted old wagon that has a negative net worth.

I'm sure some dealerships are more lax, and maybe it depends on their car company affiliation. My solution - drive cars no one would ever want to steal, and couldn't figure out how to drive if they did! Wink

Dan
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: old cars Reply with quote

I'm with you Dan.
I seldom take my keys out of my car. I have a thing for Isuzu Troopers. I have an 86 and an 88. They could be filled with gold and no one would notice. I think they are so ugly to most people that they look the other way. But I love em. I also like the fact that I can throw 5 boats on the roof and drive down 2 tracks without concern for scratches, dents or dog hair!
I can't believe people have so much money that they don't blink at spending 30,000 + on a vehicle! We have way too much money!! I'm just glad so many buy suvs, I'll have plenty of used ones to choose from when I buy them used in 10-15 years!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: car keys Reply with quote

Lets hope a dealer would be liable for providing keys to a car theif.

Who knows, some honest looking person might just waltz into a dealership and claim "hey I lost my keys"...

I am ditching my truck with the high tech remotes ontoit. Trading it for a '56 Massey Ferguson which I will keep chained to the back porch at night. If some culprit wants to steal the old FERG, the porch will be going with it!

CoNiS

PS, my bushmobile is an 83 econoline.
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it after I posted that a video would indeed not be as funny. That guy's laugh really is infectious and to see it would not have been as entertaining. I formerly retract my "too bad there's not a video comment."
I drive a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. It's a dull brown and has rust on the doors. No self respecting thief would even bother. but, boy I tell you, talk about gliding along in luxury, this olds has it! She sure does like to guzzle the gas though. No island trips in that baby!
There is so much on the net, it's hard to pick out the good stuff. I just want to thank you Conis for giving us a heads up on the things most worthwhile. Keep 'em coming I say!! Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: road warriors Reply with quote

I can just envision that guy watching the whole thing go down. That is the funny part. Neither you or I will ever get so lucky to see something that bizarre, first hand.

I am a big fan of the old road-warrior-mobiles. You got it right. Cruise in luxury and suck that fuel? They still do better than some of the new suvs... and dents and battle scars are just decorations! I had an old chev wagon for many years. Weighed like 4 tons and rode like a 707, but finally just bit the dust. Looking for a beater jeep or blazer. The old van is getting weak in the knees.

I like to travel and want to keep at least one decent car on the road. Now that I have pretty much wrapped my business and not driving as much, I would never ever buy a new car... write offs or not. The insurance is brutal. The cost is brutal. The first year depreciation is brutal. And the point is what? Go car bankrupt and make a statement? Been there, done that with the "business fleet". I plan on keeping my '03 pickup for a decade. I sure aint springing for another and it is a gem... A retirement gift to myself.

The real gems are the old 'burbans, especially the diesels. Those are getting really hard to find.

Anyway. Lets not get going on a vehical debate unless it is a "best 2 track brushmobile" discussion and that might be a new thread.

In the post re vin # key thing, I guess I thought the interesting part was how simply we can be had by trust in techology... That all the info about your car, even the key ID, is floating around out there in a database. And who has exclusive access? If this information is available to dealers, I am sure it can be hacked by thousands who work at dealerships or otherwise have access to mainframes at say GM. Blackmarket info?

Here is one for you.

The next time you get pulled over by a law officer (hopefully never). You would be astounded at what information they can pull up instantly on their cruiser-computers. Hopefully you will be squeaky clean and have changed your underwear.

Remember when we had all that ice in January? (I am trying to make this story short). I came over the crown of a hill to meet some bozo in an SUV towing a fish-tailing trailer with two sleds. I missed the trailer by 2", hooked a front wheel on the snowbank and down into a ravine. Missed a utility pole by 6". Close call for sure. This all happened on Afton Road, about a mile from camp. maybe 5pm.

I wasn't driving it out. I walked back to camp and phoned a couple buds in Indian River with a 4wd to come recon the situation. Then Called a wrecker.

So we are sitting around the table waiting for the wrecker to show. State trooper pulls in the drive. What happened? Tell him the story.

My residence is listed as Blanchard, Mi. How in the hell did he know exactly where to find me? He didn't follow my tracks on glare ice and some guy gave me a lift the last quarter mile or so. Easy. Does a search in Cheboygan county tax rolls. Bingo. Afton Road comes up. Knew which one of us was me (dl photo) He had it all. The good news is that I am squeaky clean and was stone sober. A couple keystrokes and they got your number, phone number, social security number, all the numbers anywhere and everywhere right from the license plate. If there is anything fishy, they got that number, too.

Nobody hurt, no damage to vehical or property. Away the trooper goes... all the numbers worked. He never asked to see my license or registration. What for... he had all that when he pulled in the drive.

I also heard that state police also have the ability to instantly pinpoint cellphone call location by signal triangulation between towers? Radio telemetry 101. Dial 911 from a cell phone and they know the exact location of the call to within a few hundred feet. I am not sure what to think about that. I suppose it is good if someone is in dire trouble and calling for help.

Welcome to 2005. They got your number, trust me!

Conis
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: brushmobiles Reply with quote

Conis,
I know what you mean about those old suburbans....sweet ride and go anywhere. They have a fleet of them up at the Greenbank Radio Observatory here in the state, along with some Checkers, All diesel to keep from interferring with the radio telescopes. I picture the day in the not to future when we are standing up through the moonroof running the reins to our draft horses..... pulling our Land Rovers. I was just reading an irritating story in the New York Times about the oil industry having such huge profits they don't know what to do with all the money! What ever happen to competition.... seems like someone would lower the price 10 cents! Remeber the gas wars of the late 60s, early 70s? I remember gas for 19 cents a gallon!
My plan is to get where I want to be (up there with ya'll) and then stay put! Canoes don't use much gas!
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: gas suckers Reply with quote

Amen rudy.

I been following the hybred tech cars... Maybe when they allow fuel cell development in earnest, to move forward, we wont need to go blow up mid east countries for oil. Getting into politics at this point. I wish I could locate this piece I have about how profoundly our Pres and VP are oil connected. Its all about money/power and who has control of what? Pointing out the obvious seems to sometime be my weakness.

I saw this piece on TV re Willie Nelson touring around the country in this monster diesel "tour bus" Burning and promoting ??? oil as a direct sub for diesel fuel. Peanut or veg oil of some kind. Burns cleaner, better milage and engine lubrication. Best part is that it is GROWN and can be grown by american farmers. But that makes WAY too much sense. Politics supressing alternative energy sources. I feel my soap box heating up.

I think you have the right idea. Plant yourself where ever you intend to watch. Amazing to me how the gas prices took this big dive just before the election and are right back where they were. $2.00 a gallon+ Pay it or ride a bicycle? Our kids will be living in an era when the film "road warriors" maybe a reality.

At some point. I am apt to really get going on the technology backlash issue. People just burned out on information and being wired, coming and going. Kind of where I was coming from with the key database subject. All intrusive and invasive. Overwheming. I might even be full circle on this, recalling a post 2-3 weeks ago about survivng times when we were allowed to make personal choices. Pre information age. And here I sit at a PC going around in circles?

Old hippies never die, do they?

Conis
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God old hippies never die. It will be a very, very long time before electric cars or alternative fuels replace the "black gold" that made Bush and his family (and many others before them) so well off. I am thankful for old hippies. Hybrid cars are on the scene now and I attribute that to all the tree hugging old hippies in the world that want to the earth survive. There needs to more of them in government. Pushing for more legislation to wean out the ones that are trying desperately to hold on to old ways that will kill the environment so they don't lose the cash flow that keeps them high on the hog. I know a lot of the business that goes on has links to the oil industry. But if a BIG change isn't done soon, we are all going to suffer. Especially our children. I try not to drive my "tank" a lot. Just to tool around town. No long gas guzzling trips. I am an old hippie as well. If I could afford it, there would be a hybrid car in my driveway for sure. At least it's a start eh? Wink
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: old hippies and politics Reply with quote

idle thoughts:

I couldn't believe America re-elected Bush, then it occured to me how many Americans LOVE NASCAR (wow, I'll probably take some heat for that!!)

Being a West Virginian, if I cross my Isuzu with her brother will that make a hybrid or just an inbred? What if I throw in a trolling motor?

I read once about a farmer who powered his pick-up with fumes from pig manure.... not sure which I'd hate to follow worse, him or the Willie Mobile pumping out the left over gases from peanuts and beans!

Canada has actually tried to introduce a feed supplement for cattle that cuts down on mehtane, a harmful greenhouse gas! (I knew it was those dad-blamed farting canadian cows that were behind global warming!!)
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: POLITICS! Reply with quote

Politics are one place I just won't go on this website. But it also seems like this factors in when getting into envoronmental issues and philosophy.

I am a staunch believer in "use it ot lose it" either VOTE or shut the hell up when things go sour. This past election caused me a lot of angst. Whats the choice? Dumb or Dumber? Same old crap, different talking heads. In doing my research on "The canditates" (???). it seemed more like the question was "Which big business interest will be given the kingdom" Obviously Oil speaks louder then Ketsup. It doesn't surprise me Bush won. I doubt things would have been much different if he hadn't. Lets not even go there with the 2000 "??? who won it election".

I voted Libertarian. First time for me. Not to stand any remote chance of a victory, but to be counted-in with the ever growing disinfranchised "shove it" catagory. No win situation any way it shook so might as well make a no win statement. Beyond that, Local and state elections are what matter.

Too bad this country doesn't elect by popular vote. Or like canada with a "None of the above" catagory. That would put a new twist in things. I wonder if the US ever would get through an election? Couldn't screw things up any worse that they are already.

Thats enough of this. Trying not to wreck my day mulling this over...
Four more years. EGADS!

CoNiS

PS Best quote I have heard: "The USA is making enemies faster than it can make bullets".

Where was it, Indonesia? The Marines were helping deliver supplies in the Tsunami relief effort. They were strictly forbidden to bring weapons ashore. They are bringing boxes of supplies and the natives are throwing rocks at them, anyway. That says something doesn't it.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you said. And you are right in wanting to keep this off this site.... we don't need this topic on this site, the topic needs another web site! We already have a divided country, let's not have a divided web site! I apologize for bringing politics in. Amazing how things are weaved through our lives. The environment is a HUGE part of my being, from vocation to avocation to religion. It's easy to throw politics into almost every topic, easy, and dangerous!
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto in agreement. We don't want to get into politics on this site. Every one has their own persuasions and opinions, all valid. But easy to drift into it with environmental stuff.

Nice to get some new threads/subject started, non controversial. This site is way more fun when others contribute in stories, comments and ideas. Topics we all might relate to... or in some way be interested in or affected by...

Conis
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, you're right. This is no place for political debates. The earth and all it's creatures are a very big part of my being as well. It's easy to get fired up over things that mean a great deal. I believe what comes around goes around and karma is always at work. Things will work out just the way they are supposed to despite our grumblings and carrying ons. I voted in the last election and like Conis, I didn't really see any good choice, but it is my duty as an American. It's a great insult to all the men and women that faught and lost their lives to make sure we had that right to not utilize it. And I agree, local elections mean the most now-a-days. D'oh! Here I go again talking all political. I shall instead just say this.....if I had my way, I would be living smack dab in the middle of that beautiful island the way the Bibles and the Mcraes did and rely on the creator, the land, and my neighbors to get me through.
So, Conis...find anything good on the net lately? Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camille, Working on something (non political) from my archives. maybe a new thread, later today.
Conis
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Credit cards Reply with quote

This came in yesterday. More "They got your number" related wisdom. Credit card fraud is something I am well up to speed on, having run a mail order business for 20+ years. More Conis comments below . I have highlighted and made a few comments in this piece, in red...

as follows>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject: Good Free Advice from an Attorney - Worth Reading

An attorney's advice and it's FREE!
Read this and make a copy for your files
in case you need to refer to it someday.
Maybe we should all take some of his advice!

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his
company:

The next time you order checks, omit your first name and have only
your initials and last name put on them. If someone takes your check book they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or
your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO
NOT put the complete account number on the "For" line. Instead, just put
the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the
number and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

(Conis:Good idea but the card number is worthless without the exp date.)

Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If
you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks (DUH!) you can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

CONIS: DO NOT put DL # either!
Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both
sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in
your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and
cancel.

Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my
passport when I travel either here or abroad.

We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in
stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my
wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an
expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card,
had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN
number from DMV to change my driving record information on-line, and
more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this
happens to you or someone you know:

We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But
the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so
you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily.

File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was
stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a
first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never even thought to do
this).

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to
place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never
heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an
application for credit was made over the Internet in my name.

The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your
information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the
theft, all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves'
purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since
then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

The numbers are:
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian:(formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union:1-800-680-72 89
Social Security Administration (fraud line):1-800-269 -0271

We pass along jokes on the Internet; we pass along just about
everything. Pass this information along. It could really help someone
you care about

More on credit card fraud protection... via CONIS
Credit card theft is much less a problem than it was 5-10 years ago.

I have operated a small company that sold direct mail order since 1983, and been a VISA/MC merchant as long… way back to the days when it was ALL done on paper. When we received a phone order on ccard, we had to call an 800# to have the transaction authorized. This was 20 years ago.

We get security bulletins from Visa/MC all the time. Credit card transactions are far more secure than years back. (exceptions noted below). Most of the time, at “point of sale” your card info is scanned and entered directly into the system. Humans are out of the loop.

Fraud is far more prevalent when humans are in the loop. And if there is fraud, the merchants are the ones that take the hit and absorb the loss. The Visa fairy doesn’t care, so… Merchants are the ones who are responsible and have to be careful. And if they are routinely getting taken, merchants can have their “merchant hood” terminated which could easily put them out of business. In 20+ years, we have been hit many, many times but taken only once… and we let it go and absorbed the $50 loss. And that wasn’t a direct card-fraud.

With that said: Here is how to protect yourself beyond the precautions above.

You buy products from the internet? Most high volume internet retailers with “shopping cart” systems list a “verisign” logo on the checkout page. This means their credit card system is integrated directly into their website and most likely as safe as a card transaction at say Kmart. Large corporations or internet retailers are set up properly. If you are dealing with some “twinkie business” that accepts credit cards on line, beware.

STAY AWAY FROM PAY PAL! This operation is essentially a VISA clearing house, taking a cut and mailing checks to fly by night "twinkie businesses" which are unable to aquire direct VISA merchant status or the responsibility that come with it. If you do on-line ccard business, make sure the company is a Visa merchant, preferably set up with verasign

Never EVER email your ccard number. If you must do so, split it into TWO emails. DO NOT trust any business asking you furnish ccard info via email. If you do, you are just asking for it and might as well publish this info on a website

Personally, I use a visa debit card for all Internet and phone order transactions. There are reasons why.

Placing a phone order is risky. A human in the loop? You bet! All ccard information must be verbally provided which may include a key code on the back of the card for additional security. Normally (with a larger business) this information is entered directly into a computer by some underpaid employee sitting in a cubicle. And the end of each sale, they hit “enter” and it evaporates into the system for processing. But… while the sale is being entered, it is still up on the screen with name, shipping address, the works… and this ccard info is worth $5.00 on the street. Take the time to transcribe this information to paper? No. just a tiny digital camera and a shot of the screen, write it down later.

Of course the employee heisting this info will get busted sooner than later. Security at Visa/Mc is awesome. Their systems scan for card usage anomalies and I believe scan electronically entered signatures for deviation. However there is no signature entered with a phone order.

When a stolen card # has been identified, their systems can usually pinpoint a source by prior sales (patterns) as in “the rash of hot card numbers and the source of leakage is originating from business x” with all of the hot card # transactions having done business with “business x” in recent time. And they can narrow it down very fast, from there. Most phone order transactions are recorded for mutual security as is the operators ID number entered on the sale.

There was a paranoid notice floating around to beware of people using cell phone cams in check out lines, taking pics of credit cards being put through the scanner. I wouldn’t worry too much about that unless they jump in and snap a pic 6” above your card and run off. That would be a clue they are up to no-good

Never do business with a company that ships parcel post untracked. If your order doesn’t show up, it is your word against theirs. Go with companies that ship UPS, FED EX, DHL etc. Many larger companies are set up so you can track the status of your shipment on line.

Likewise, to protect ourselves, we always used UPS, never shipped to a PO box and tried to verify the callback number given to us against what came across caller ID. If there was anything fishy, we would call back the number given to “verify shipping address” and sometimes call the VISA hot card hotline.

At that, when we take a phone order, we use a scanner-modem just like in the Kmart, and enter in the info manually. The sale was authorized or declined or “PICK UP CARD” meaning hot card #, don’t give it back and call 911

Lastly. Why use a VISA DEBIT card? I keep a special checking account with a debit card access just for phone orders and internet transactions. A debit card works just like a credit card except there is no “credit”. Before purchasing, I put in just enough $$$ to cover the transaction. The system checks the account, immediately withdraws that amount for the transaction and leaves only a few dollars remaining. That card number is “broke” until I decide to use it again.

Likewise theft of a debit card # can clean out your checking account instantly unless you post a max on daily usage, sale amount etc. But still, you might not know it until your bank statement arrived days-week later. Or start getting overdrawn notices on checks.

Most stolen cards are good for only a few transactions before getting shut down. If used at a scanner, they would probably be shut down on the spot if the signature "features" didn’t match and the system red flagged it. Those with hot cards usually use them on the internet or phone orders. No signature required, which why the code on the reverse side is requested… To validate the card is actually in possession.

No one would argue that credit cards are absolutely the fastest and normally the most secure way to purchase… in most cases. Most card id thefts occur from “humans in the loop” especially phone orders where security is less than optimum. Using a “special” debit card for phone and internet sales is just as convenient as a ccard but with the added security that that specific transaction is the “limit”.

Hope these insights are of use.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: national id card Reply with quote

Al's Sister wrote:
Thanks for the 'protecting the security of your car' tips too.. Hey, I've heard rumors the national ID card will be coming out soon.. Have you heard anything on that?

This discussion came up at breakfast. I am not totally up to speed on the National card but the technology it is absolutely there. I am not sure of acceptance, yet. I am sure this will be status quo in our kids lives. It scares the hell out of me.

Probably a multi purpose card. DL, SSI, Ccard, "we are our card"? I read about some city, I think in Korea that was 100% all electronic everything with the "card". All hooked into the "mother mainframe". We are close this point, now.

I have read "Brave New world", 1984, and some of Margret Atwoods books. What was SciFi or tech prophecy has come to pass already. Old news?

Why not just skip this card phase. Go directly to a chip implant? Walk into walmart, pick up a few things and just walk out the checkout scanner, TOTALLY SCANNED. They had have chip implant ID tech in dogs (ears) for 20 years.

We will be living as civilized tribes in domes, chip id'd at birth, as the "Haves". The "Have nots" will be living outside the domes in uncivilized, unidentified warring tribes as "mongrels".

One step closer with national security issues? The "identifieds" versus the "unidentifieds"? Tech advanced minorities will protect themselves and identity their tribe against less advanced larger populations? Racially? or genetically?

Into some really scary stuff here. that may have seemed far fetched 20 years ago, before the information age and global networking.

What ever happened to autonomy? Had to give it up for security. Where's HAL 2000 when we need him? Obsolete. Now we have a hal 80 billion.

This is enough of that for today. Nice sunny day. Im going out to play?
conis
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: The next time you order a pizza... Reply with quote

ACLU PIZZA!!! WHEW!!! You gotta hear and see this one!!!
And we can look forward to a national ID card?

http://www.adcritic.com/interactive/view.php?id=5927
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: this just in ! Reply with quote

Idea Sounds like big brother wants to keep a closer eye on us...Too bad that is the same big brother that has no money to carry it out...Great video,ha ha. Does life have to be so complicated??? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: