Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forever Young
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Hi-
My fiancee and I will be married in June, and are planning a 3 week boat trip for our honeymoon. One of our stops is Boise Blanc Island, but I don't know much about it. I'd like to find out more, so i registered! If you have any helpful information, please let me know!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Forever Young! Very Happy I'm sure you will find helpful information on here.. Is there is something specific you want to know? Like where to dock or camping? We may need some more details.. Size of your boat, ect. They do have transient space at the dock. Camping areas are quit a distance from the dock though.. There is Hawks Landing within walking distance for eats and supplies.. Congrates on your upcoming nuptials! Very Happy
Forever Young
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Our Boat Reply with quote

Thanks for replying! Smile Our boat is a 28' Rinker Fiesta Vee, but my fiancee says it measures at 30' total. We have a cabin, so we'd be sleeping on the boat. I would like to know where to dock, how many slips there are,if we should call ahead to make reservations, where it is located, is there pump-out, electric, gas?? Are there beaches to swim off of, what's there to do on the island, are there any festivities going on in June that we could plan on coming to? Are there places to shop, resturaunts? This information would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, and congratulations! I hope you enjoy Bois Blanc.

There is A place to shop and A restaurant. They are one in the same. Very Happy

As the locals will tell you... "This ain't Mackinac." If you're looking for a shopping and dining experience that involves multiple stops, Bois Blanc is not the place. But if you can dig a remote, barely inhabited wilderness that bears few scars from the passing of time, you will dig the Island.

The few souls you will pass as you hike around the Island will wave at you. Wave back. This is one of the last vestiges of a lost generation. Look at the few cabins and old pickup trucks still scattered around - every one has a story to tell. That's what I "do" when I'm there; I just take it all in and let imagination fill the gaps. Organized activities are few and far between, so you really have to enjoy it for what it is. You will either stand on Island soil and fall in love, or you will hate it and never come back. It tends to be one or the other. I hope it's the former.

Be prepared for house flies, deer flies, black flies, horseflies and mosquitoes, among other critters. They are bothersome, but are part of the landscape. Again, there are no gift shops selling novelty fly swatters. Just you and your supplies. Hawk's Landing General Store and Restaurant will cater to most of your needs, but it's wise to come prepared nonetheless.

Swimming - yes. Cold water, and mostly gravel beaches, except for the north shore. If you want to explore that far, you'll need to bring bikes with you, or perhaps talk to one of the Island folks about renting/using theirs. The Island is about 12 miles long and 6 miles wide, mostly level ground, which is ideal for biking. No pavement, no street lights, no street signs... No streets, really. Just the main (gravel) road that travels around the eastern, southern and western shores, a few maintained inland roads and thousands of trails.

Again, congrats on your happy news, and hope you'll enjoy Bois Blanc!

Dan
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Dan, I got all choked up reading that. Smile
It sounds so plain, but man do I miss it. I probably won't make it up this year and that makes it even more depressing. Crying or Very sad

Welcome to the site!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Coombs
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Forever Young,

I sailed my boat from Chicago to the Island a couple of years ago. There is plenty of protected transient space on the seawall. These spaces each have power and water. There are no facilities for gas or pumpout. There is a very nice outhouse but no showers. A pay phone is located at the ferry dock, which can come in handy. The general store is only a ten minute walk from the docks. You can get basic provisions there as well as a hot meal. The harbor is a very peaceful spot. You won't be woken up at night by rowdy neighbors as you probably won't have any neighbors. During our visit to the island there were no other inhabited watercraft in the harbor, except the ferry which visited several times a day. I would give a whole-hearted thumbs up to the experience. Best of luck this summer.

Dave Coombs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: