Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

The Dumans on Bois Blanc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: The Dumans on Bois Blanc Reply with quote

This is in answer to Warren 53 (William B. Shannon, Jr.) who wanted to know about Louis & Jenny Duman, his great grandparents.

Bill Mitchell & I interviewed Bill Duman in 1994 and this info was on a tape made. Brothers Dave, John, Louis and Bill came with their parents from Canada.

Dave married Mary (Dodd) Duman and they lived a short way east of the boiler in McRae Bay on Bois Blanc. Lawrence and John were their sons. They lived at McRae Bay around 1904. John married Mable McRae daughter of John & Mary McRae.

Louis worked at the Sand Bay mill and lived there. Bill Mitchell made a copy of one of Bill Dumans many photographs. I put a scanned copy in the Album. Click on the link below or go to the bottom in Album and click on "Users Personal Galleries". The photo shows seven children on the beach at Sand Bay. The Mill in the background is the only picture I have ever seen of it. I'm not sure if they are all Louis & Jenny's kids. Loren was born in 1900, and I guess his age at around 10 in the photo, so I can now date the photo as "circa" 1910. Your grandfather, Loren, is on the left. Van is in the center.

Bill returned to Canada, and I have no information on John.

I hope you find this information, Mr. Shannon, It should be of interest to you and others on this site. I also left a personal message for you on this site. When you log in, look at the top menu to see if you have a message.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=717

Michael J. White, Sr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: