Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

New Poster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misfitguy
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: New Poster Reply with quote

Have been looking at your island from the mainland for years. This summer we were in Cheboygan and inquired at the ferry office. We will be visiting in the summer next. Is there camping available there? We noticed on a map a rustic site. We will be camping in a tent with a dog. Are dogs a problem? We are also thinking we would like to own some property on the island. Is there a better side to be on...North, south, east or west?

Thank you for any information.

Mick and Sassafras
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Misfitguy and welcome to the site.. The rustic camping is on the North shore and is mostly state land. I love the birches of the east end and the ceder on the west end and everything in between! South is more protected.. Most shoreline is a mix of mostly rocks with some sand thrown in..

As far as dogs.. Most people have 'em or tolerate 'em real well.. If you think your dog may chase deer or fight other dogs you may want to use a leash around others or keep him restrained when you can't watch him.. My dog is my shadow so I don't have to worry about her to much..

Good luck with your property quest.. I hope you find something to your liking.. Very Happy Susie
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I live in Muskegon!
Sissy
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Camping on the Island Reply with quote

Hi Mike; you will find the camping great along the North Shore. It's rustic and you will find a pinic table, so bring everything you will need but I'm sure if you are a tenter you will Love it. I live on the West End so it's not far from the shore which I go to walk often or as much as I can when I'm up at our place. Now that the cold weather is coming we spent our last weekend for the year. Crying or Very sad and we can't wait till 2005 and all the new months we can enjoy at BBI. Have a great trip and hope you find something. We are all friendly up here and dogs are GREAT... oh I must add (Kittens also) I have 2 new babies and they have made the trip over also.
Sissy
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Is that your plane? Reply with quote

Hey-pilotkid is that your plane? It must be great to fly. I have always wanted to learn to fly. My brother has a plane and I go up with him when I can talk him into taking me along. I'm sure you enjoy your plane and the open sky; stay safe..
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilotkid is too mean to fly people around. and by that i mean he *for some crazy reason* wont come get me in ohio.... but i can pretend he's just mean
misfitguy
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank everybody for there responses. I apologize for not noticing sooner that I had these responses. We just found out that our family reunion will be held in Newberry, in the UP, this year. We will be working in Blaney Park the weekend before and will have about 5 days to kill between June 19 and June 24.

So if you see a couple of strangers snooping around your fair island, an old duffer, Mick, and a young wife, Sassafras, and a small mountain tree feist, Cricket, would you please say, hey.

We have just been notified the house we are living in has been sold and will be torn down to make another, "much needed" strip mall. So our quest for property to build on has went from the looking to the needing.

Maybe we'll be there sooner than expected.

warmly,

Mick Zellar
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great time to visit, you'll be here for the middle of the black-fly feeding! Really, if you are used to the UP you'll be fine. The biggest problem with buying property on Bois blanc is there isn't enough for sale to meet the demand of those that want to buy. So if you see something, and the title is clear and the price is right...go for it! The county clerk in St Ignace will sell you a plat map ahead of your arrival, through the snail mail, so you don't get lost! We won't be there in June this year, as we have to finish building a dang house in Blue Lake Township. But good luck and have fun!
misfitguy
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice.

Blue Lake township like in Whitehall area? That is about 10 miles from where we live now.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Lake Township as in Big Blue Lake and Little Blue Lake by Starvation Lake...Mancelona, west of Frederic, north of Kalkaska. Is that close? We're building a sweedish cope hand crafted log home, 2400 sqare feet with a walk-out basement on 2.14 acres...do I sound like a salesperson yet??! Laughing We have to build two in order to retire from our day jobs and do that as our new retirement job! Wink It definitely beats corporate grind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: