Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

bible family history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivalaBBI
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: bible family history Reply with quote

who owns the old cabin on the north shore?
me and my buddies go camping on north shore every first week of August and like to use that spot. last year we made a shelter out of the old cabin and cleaned it up some without really changing anything. it came in handy because last year we had a big rain storm like we do every year when we go. i was looking at a realestate map and where the cabin sits it appears to be part of the old bible farm. if anyone has any info on this please post a message. thank you.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty big question!! There are lots of old cabins on the north shore! Are you talking about the one that's only a matter of a few hundred yards from the cross on the north shore? The one that no longer has a roof, and was constructed of logs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vivalaBBI
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

yes that one.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure if someone owns that property now, or if it has reverted back to the state. But I think that Mike White could answer that question. He's quite the island historian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the log cabin just down from bible road on north shore , it sets on state land.
vivalaBBI
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks for the info.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Jack Jefferys Reply with quote

I see that this thread hasn't touched on the Bibles much, but talks about the log cabin just East of Wiener Rd. [Wehmer]

In 1949, when my grandparents were looking for a place to live on BBI, they had a choice to make. That cabin was for sale then, or the place across from the school. They loved that North Shore spot, but chose the Pointe Aux Pins place because it was closer to people and jobs.

I racked my brain for some time to come up with a name of a person who lived there. I believe it was Jack Jefferys, before he moved to the two story log cabin in the Pines that Cards now own. He was one who liked life and liked to drink, so I was told by my Grandmother and Gene Babcock.

One story that Gene told me was about Jack during the time when he lived in the cabin on the North Shore. Jack had a dog team and sled. He would like to get to Mackinac at times in the winter for supplies and drink. Once, he got wasted at a pub on Mackinac, and it had gotten dark. The people at the bar put him in his sled and told the dogs to go home. Jack woke up later in front of that log cabin on the North Shore, his home.

A summer incident also occurred, related to me by Gene Babcock. Jack had a sail boat that he used to get to Mackinac. He was coming back to BBI drunk and fell overboard. As he fell he grabbed a line on the boat. The boat pulled him around for some time before he managed to pull himself back on board.

If any others have heard these stories or variations of them, now is the time to jump into the conversation.

Last edited by mikewhite on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Bible Family History Reply with quote

For those who do not know, there is a book about John and Mildred Bible called THE BIBLES OF BOIS BLANC written by Thomas W. Pfeiffelmann. In the book on page 13, 14 and 15 you can read about, and see, what property the Bibles owned. It appears that, as Jeff has already mentioned, Bibles did not own all the way to the North Shore in the area where the cabin is, and that the state has had it for a long time.

The original land patent owner to Sec 12, Lot 7 was Joe Ekey, licenced in 1898. The original patent owner of Sec 12, Lot 8 was Charles Wehmar, licenced in 1903. Lot 8 borders the section boundry road that goes to the North Shore where the cross is located. That is the reason the Bibles and other "old timers" called that road 'Wehmar Road'.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: bible history Reply with quote

As long as we are attempting to locate the history of abandoned places. What is the story of the small building on the right going in to Sandbay Farm? It appears to have been a prefab or kit of somekind. Is this on state land.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Shack Reply with quote

All I remember about that place is that when I was in my teens, hunters used it during deer hunting season.

Some added history of that area is the fact that the two track that goes back in to what is now called Sand Bay Farm, was originally named Lumber Road. I'm talking pre Civil War. That road was there before there were counties or county roads. It is mentioned in the original field notes for the 1827 survey of the island. It ran from the base of Sand Bay. The present road leading into Sand Bay is part of it.

Later, the farm was created. I found that a prior name for the field was 'The Old Kamoski Farm'. Where Hoffmans place is at, was the 'New Kamoski Farm'.

Where the Dump Hump is now, there was also fields. These fields were used to pasture the Sand Bay horses. I found the bones of a few horses back in there.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: m Reply with quote

Mike,
Grandma used to tell me stories of a guy named Jack ..
He had a drinking problem so he drank and would sit in a rocker .. He played music real loud .. in those days it had to be one of those that you had to crank by hand ...
I am trying to remember all of the story .. I do know grandma would be laughting about ole Jack that she had tears running down her face .
I remember her telling me that after he passed sometimes his rocking chair would rock and they all said it was ole jack ..
now who had the rocker I do not know ..
I do know that 2 story house Grandma Aunt Maggie amd Mom and few others would sit at Grandmas table drinking coffee late at night telling scary stories about that house .. I was in bed listening to them so I was scared to walk on the road for I would have to pass that house and I would run as fast as I could to get away from that house so I would walk the path though the woods ..to get home .
one of the stories was they.. aunt maggie ??? said they heard chains and someone walking down the stairs ...it may have been a story Grandma Plaunt told aunt Maggie ????
I do not know ...

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: m Reply with quote

Mike,
Grandma used to tell me stories of a guy named Jack ..
He had a drinking problem so he drank and would sit in a rocker .. He played music real loud .. in those days it had to be one of those that you had to crank by hand ...
I am trying to remember all of the story .. I do know grandma would be laughting about ole Jack that she had tears running down her face .
I remember her telling me that after he passed sometimes his rocking chair would rock and they all said it was ole jack ..
now who had the rocker I do not know ..
I do know that 2 story house Grandma Aunt Maggie amd Mom and few others would sit at Grandmas table drinking coffee late at night telling scary stories about that house .. I was in bed listening to them so I was scared to walk on the road for I would have to pass that house and I would run as fast as I could to get away from that house so I would walk the path though the woods ..to get home .
one of the stories was they.. aunt maggie ??? said they heard chains and someone walking down the stairs ...it may have been a story Grandpa Plaunt told aunt Maggie ????
I do not know ...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: as Reply with quote

AS far as I know that 2 story house of Cards on the main road was Haunted I seen an old lady peek out the front window so for a long time I would run by that place too..are you talking about that place, Jack lived in for awhile ???
As we chat here we may come up with the stories about ole Jack, I hope I can remember ..
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: i Reply with quote

I have many stories to tell about John bible as he would come to visit alot with Grandpa and Grandma ..and I was allways there ...

But this story is more about the feeleys pet dog named brownie and John bibles Dog ..I forgot his name but when brownie was in heat he would travel to make a visit with Brownie ..The day she had her puppies John bibles Dog would pay a visit with Brownie and their new puppies ..
How far is it from our place to bibles ??? Mike ?

For the life of me I have tried to figure out how he knew the puppies were born .. any idea folks ???
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Records Reply with quote

This is what I recall of Grandma Calkins story about Jack Jefferys. He moved from the cabin on the North Shore to the two story log place that Cards now have on the main road. He had one of those old record players that played those big 78 rpm records. Yes, you had to crank it.

Jack was alone, but had in the past had a gal friend. The gal had left him. One of the things that they had done together and enjoyed was listening to the record player. Jack was not happy that she was gone.

Grandma was walking past Jacks place one day and he was playing the records as loud as it would go, he singing along drunk. When the record would end, he took it and threw it across the room against the wall. He did that with many records before he had relieved some of his bitterness over his lose.

Dogs are amazing. The distance, as the crow flies, from your place in the Pines to the Bibles is five miles. It would be quite a lot farther by road.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: r Reply with quote

yep that sounds about right ..

Thats why grandma....was laughting and crying at the same time telling that story .. I remember it now .. it was back filed a way in my brain and I just could not for the life of me remember ..
it had to take a jolt for me to remember

well I had to go past cards on main road but the other 2 story house i went though the woods ..

thanks Mike ..glad you remembered .. i only had part of the story ..you had the best of the story
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: story Reply with quote

The 2 story house was the one Plaunts lived in ... so all of these storys about that place was about the plaunt family not Jacks ...

I would love listening to aunt maggie tell those storys and all of them laughing .. even if it scared me !!

Aunt Maggie would come over alot after her dinner and dishes were done .. Grandma would still have her sink full of dishes to do yet .. but she always had time to stop and have coffee and visit and serve desert always ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: