Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Jam 05
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new developments on this shin dig? I miss the nights at the tavern when a impromptu jam session would suddenly fire up. I wish I lived on the island, I would make this an annual event. I have a 12 year old son who is playing guitar. Acoustic and electric of course. I would love for him to experience a good old fasioned rockin' jam session. He's been playing for about a year and is quite good for such a short amount of time. He also loves it which helps tremendously. I am so very interested in seeing this come about. I'll help break into the bar if need be....anything I can do to help Wink
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new developments... I hope the idea stays alive. I'll never forget the impromptu music at the Tavern - it's probably one of the reasons I started playing guitar back when.

We just need a WHERE and a WHEN. The default option would be to schedule it during the Fun Day festivities in July, but I've never been up during Fun Day so I don't know how difficult that would be. I'm still hoping someone will step forward and set up a place/time where us derelict musicians could just show up and jam.

It lacks the "impromptu"-ness of the old Tavern days, but it could still be a blast for those of us who remember!!!

Dan

Hamburg, MI
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Tavern Reply with quote

Any new info on the Tavern????????

Will it ever open again?

So sad if it doesn't.

Sad
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the tavern days sooooo much. We took a look at the bar last fall. We were considering buying it. Strongly considering. But the investment was too much for us right now. Made me VERY sad. We owned the store for awhile and I worked in the bar a lot for Sponge. I knew that if we could do it, we would be really great for it. But, finances won't allow it right now. Sad Dan, I just noticed you live right down the road from me. M-36 is driving me crazy lately. I cannot beleive the amount of traffic nowadays. I also think that the only two stop lights in Pinckney have something against me. I ALWAYS get stopped. Confused
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camille, we probably met you back when you were working for Sponge, or maybe when you had the store. Glad to know you have fond memories of those places and times.

M-36 is a mess, all right!!! I live not too far from Strawberry Lake Road (between Merrill & Mast) so I'm on the opposite side of the chain of lakes from you. But I have to get across 36 most every day, for one reason or another!

Dan
camille
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did, it was a looooong time ago. Nearly 20 years. My mom and Stepdad owned the store. Hal and Carol mills. We actually named the store Hawk's Landing. I cannot tell you how very special it is to me that the name has not changed. I hope the new owners still like the name as well. Smile I am planning a camping trip to the island. I was hoping to plan around this, but that remains to be seen. I don't know how long I'll be able to wait to come up. I suppose there is no harm in planning multiple camping trips Wink Having a jam session would just be so very cool.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sure it was at least 20 years. We've been coming up since 1972 and were there very frequently from '72-84 or so.

I've never been inside the Community Building, where the jukebox apparently was (the jukebox discussion was what got this whole idea started in the first place). But it's the only place I know of, other than the tavern, that would be appropriate. Having never been there, I know nothing of how to schedule an event like this or when it would be possible.

I'd like to plan my camping trips too, so it would be great to get this figured out! June, July, August... Maybe in conjunction with the Fun Day, maybe not...?

Dan
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Has it Reply with quote

Gee has it been that long ago ???? when I left the island Fishers still had it .. I was at their Grand Opening about 40 some years ago ....

Glad I had those memories so long ago .. that means I am a real old timer !!! Very Happy

I can not remember who had it when I went back to visit after the Fishers ... was it you ??? ...... What years did you have it ?????

I like to mention the first owners and ect .. to keep them alive .. ya know the history of the place .... ( to honor them so to speak)

I hope you guys can get this going .. sounds like a fun time with all the music and talent ..

Dan R. you just have to go to the community Building your next trip up ...

It was so kind of Hoovers to make it possibe to have such a great building .. alot of fun has been had in that place .. when I lived there and my kids were litttle my son Lonnie Todd square danced so much we had to make him stop and rest he was about to fall over and thanks to Audrey Gahn I have pictures she gave me of him dancing .....

Good Luck .. hope you all can make this possibe ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
autumn
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright its JUNE now lets get planning. the 4th weekend is good for us also and we have a couple of 12 strings and some hippies that can jam to most all of those tunes. we like the BAND, SOME JAZZ, CSN and and and etc etc etc...
we mostly get together at our house around a huge firepit and sing till we can't anymore but we have a good time. CINDY did you find out if the dock has electricity or if it could be used.

lets get this concert planned
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neighbor!!! Missed you on Mem. Weekend, but I know you had to work. I think night of July 2 or 3 is great. I have a wedding in Fowlerville to go to on the last Saturday in June...Gary's side of the family, I missed her shower due to the Whooping Cough I had, but I think they wouldn't buy a relapse! Laughing If we did it on Sunday night I could be there! Or even on the 24th! I could plan on leaving the island for the wedding and then get stranded on BBI and couldn't leave so we could do this on the 25th Wink Please help me out here ... Oh, I don't know if the electricity at the dock is available for use or not. Can someone else check on that? Thanks!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island jam gonna happen??? Shrug
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family and I expect to be on the Island from June 30 through July 4, barring unforeseen circumstances. I will have my guitar. Guess we just need to confirm the details on where and when...

Dan
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a difficult time believing it would be hard to use the community building. Maybe because it was unlocked 24/7 when I was a kid, but it seems someone could help you out with this. I know Clover isn't on here right now because she is recoverying from foot surgery, maybe Mike and Lani would know who to talk to. They may be able to help you get the fire hall also. Dan, maybe you should give Clover a call, I know her number is listed in one of the business links on this site under Island Contractors I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check BB Twp Hall, 634-7275 for Wagner Room at the Fire Dept. They would also know who you can contact for the Community Bldg.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could do the jam on Sat night after the fun day at the fire hall if they'd let us. Autumn - it is a long way to crawl or go home but I think I could do it! There are an awful lot of folks around that weekend, may be we should get those name tags going, so I cn remember who I am! Laughing
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!

Dan
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I thought of it. I want to see some pictures since I won't be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're leaving tonight (6/29) and will be on the Island tomorrow, assuming my old van and trailer survive the trip. We'll spend Friday trying to make our place livable, and I look forward to seeing everyone at the Fun Day festivities. I will have my guitar with me in the hope that Island Jam '05 can indeed break out when the day's festivities are over.

See you there...
Dan
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it happen???

I so bad wanted to get down to fun day and meet some folks but I had too many things on the "to do" list before renters checked in today. It's been four years since we've been coming to the island and I have yet to make it to a fun day. Sad Maybe next year.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to the Fun Day early in the day, bought some small items at the flea market and had lunch in the back of the fire hall. I had my guitar with me but there were SO MANY people, I was having trouble figuring out who was who. We stayed for about an hour after that, but decided our own "to-do" list was calling as well. So, we went back to the cabin and got a few more chores done.

There'll be plenty of opportunity for Island Jam, we just need to coordinate!

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: