Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Needing info re: the island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobReese
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Needing info re: the island Reply with quote

Greetings from Texas!

I'm a former resident of Northern Michigan (Mackinaw City) and my mom still lives in Carp Lake. I come back every year in October for a vacation since Michigan never leaves your soul.

This year, my wife & I are seriously considering a week's stay on Bois Blanc and I believe we may be renting Lee & Joanne Craft's place. I was hoping to get a little advise from those of you who are familiar with the island.

First, I planned to bring my vehicle to the island, but noticed that the ferry rate is $39.00 per trip. I was hoping to visit my mom on the mainland as well as drive to Petoskey/Harbor Springs a few times. Is there a week's pass I might purchase for my vehicle or should I just keep the truck in Cheboygan and "hoof" it around the island? Is everything fairly accessable on Bois Blanc? How does everyone usually handle transportation for the island/mainland?

I may also borrow a small jon boat from a friend for fishing the inland lakes on the island. What is the best lake to fish and is there somewhere to dock the boat for the week?

I sincerely appreciate any answers to my questions and I'm looking forward to October and experiencing Bois Blanc for the first time.

Thanks for your help.

Rob Reese
San Antonio, TX
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: message Reply with quote

Rob, I sent you some info on a private message but I am not sure if it went to you. Did you get it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: info Reply with quote

Quote:
First, I planned to bring my vehicle to the island, but noticed that the ferry rate is $39.00 per trip. I was hoping to visit my mom on the mainland as well as drive to Petoskey/Harbor Springs a few times. Is there a week's pass I might purchase for my vehicle or should I just keep the truck in Cheboygan and "hoof" it around the island? Is everything fairly accessable on Bois Blanc? How does everyone usually handle transportation for the island/mainland?

I may also borrow a small jon boat from a friend for fishing the inland lakes on the island. What is the best lake to fish and is there somewhere to dock the boat for the week?

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the site.

I don't believe that there is a week long pass for the ferry but you may want to call Plaunt's and find out. Depending on where you're staying, you may or may not be able to "hoof" it about the place. I'm not exactly sure where the Craft's place is, but I did notice that it's on the west end where we are also. From the ferry dock to our place is just over nine miles, that'd be a mighty long walk.

I started a post in the Idle Chit Chat forum regarding fishing and only one person has replied. Either nobody fishes the inland lakes, or the fishing is so excellent that no one dares reply. I hope it's the latter. Very Happy As far as docking the boat, it seems to me a lot of people just leave them at the launch site.

Hope that helps.

Rob Johnston
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Hello Rob, You picked an excellent month to visit the island!! The summer rush has calmed down and the bugs are minimal!! Laughing

I would suggest you take your ride to the Island. You won't regret it! Taking in all the sites is the ultimate passtime. When you purchase your ferry ticket it will include a return one. At that time of year you won't have a problem getting off the Island although Curt would like advance notice to when you plan to leave... Is there anyone who could pick you up to visit your family? Did you consider a cab? They are available in Cheboygan.. Ask Curt about car rentals in Cheboygan and there may even be something available on the Island...

As for fishing... I here the pan fishing is good in Thompson and Mary. They use to catch Pike on the Twins. I do know there is an association that used to collect money for restocking... Most people with small boats drag them up on shore out of the way on the inlands... Have a good trip!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob You are going to need a vechile on the island as lee craft's place is at the west end of the island about 10 miles from the ferry dock. The fishing is good in all the three lakes depending on the time and what you are fishing for. The twins have northern and walleye and pirch If you need a place to put in your boat and keep it I own the properity right at the narrows where the good fishing is. You can drive right to it. If you would like to use the road and the point called the narrows let me know and I will make the arrangments for you as my son Eric keeps a watch on the properity right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: