Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Adventures on the Island...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Adventures on the Island... Reply with quote

I was out riding around with my cousin Shanna in my Lil' Tracker. We had gone basically all around the Island. We had encountered all road conditions. Ruts in the High Lands. Mud in the low lands. We are coming in back around the North Shore. The road is narrow and swamp on both sides. We see another car coming in the opposite direction. There is an area that has Just Enough Room to pull over. But I pull over to soon and my front wheel goes on it's own offroad expedition. I am stuck! The people in the other car get out and try to help me, but after pushing and pulling, no go! I can't help, cause of my back. I felt so bad about them helping but they were all into it, like it is part of the Island package. Finally, I call the Calvalry! This is fun on my cell phone, since it is hard to get a signal. I call my bro Al to bring his truck and chain. While waiting for him, our new friends in the other car invite us down to the beach to picnic.
Took some pics while waiting. Al comes out, scratches his head, smiles and tries to assure me I am not the first! He hooks me up. Jacks up the tire hanging virtually in limbo, and yanks my car on the road. We are down the road again and back to Al's place in the Pines. The very next day, I pick up a nail, and luckily Al used to be the main mechanic on the Island(before Postmaster). He plugged the tire in time for me to be on the boat that afternoon and it never did go flat again! This is what I call Island Road Hazard Service. As long as you aren't to remote and don't have a cell. Someone can be called, someone will eventually pass by, someone can be found, that will help. They do, with a smile, and no charge, and maybe a story or two about who has done it before you did. That's the best part! And you can always find something to do while you are waiting, especially if you are a photographer! Anybody else got a good one to share? I have more......
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Lighthouse Trail Adventure Reply with quote

Our family decided to go check out the Lighthouse. We were quite far along and getting just a little worried about how narrow the trail was. But there were no turnarounds and we'd come this far, so we decided to go for it. We were in our Blazer, the full size, not those little ones. It was getting quite scratched up, but we didn't really care, it's old. We're not those types that buy a 4WD and then never use it as God intended. Well you can probably guess what happened, uh oh....a big log blocking the trail. We can't back up, we can't go forward, it's too big to move. Now what? We were camping on the north shore at the time, so we had an axe. My husband hauls it out and starts chopping away. It took what seemed like an hour to chop that thing up in small enough sections to move. Finally, we get on our way again. Around the next bend....another log #Crazy Out comes the axe again. He's already worn out from the first log, but won't let me help. Male pride dontcha know! Rolling Eyes The kids are loving it. We had the coolers in the back so we had a little picnic while Dad played hero. Laughing This happened twice more before we reached the lighthouse. Thank God there was a turnaround there. Our little day trip lasted 4 hours. I can't believe what rookies we were back then. Now we have a chainsaw we always take with us. Lesson learned - the hard way Wink
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is an important lesson. And even when the road looks recently traveled, you may still encounter unexpected surprises around the bend. Shocked

Last time we were up, I was driving around south of Lake Mary and encountered one road that was just a bit too washed out for me to risk, even with my 4x4. No sweat, dropped it in reverse and backed up about 1.5 miles on the blind-curve two-track trail. When my wife asked me how I got so good at backing up over a long distance, I reminded her that this is where I learned to drive! When I was 8 or 10 years old, my Dad would intentionally send me off down one of those overgrown roads that he knew was a dead end (with nowhere to turn around), and then say with a grin, "Now how are you going to get yourself out of this? If you want to drive around on the Island, you'd better learn." I did.

We used to take our old pickup up to the lighthouse from time to time. It was two-wheel drive and we always made it, with the help of a chain saw and a good stout chain. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: