Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

First Trip to Island over Memorial Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: First Trip to Island over Memorial Day Reply with quote

Hi All
My husband and I will be visiting your beauiful island for the first time over memorial day weekend (been doing lots of web surfing of the home page and looking at the wonderful pictures) My Husband has hunted on the island years ago and has been wanting to come back for a long time. We are from north of Grand Rapids and have been traveling to the UP for years and now we are ready to enjoy the calm relaxing part of MI. We plan on staying on the north shore in camp site. How many sites are there? and are holidays busier than normal? What does the general store have in stock? Thanks for any helpful answers , hope to meet some of you ,sounds like a nice friendly place .....Dee
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site, Dee! Very Happy I always tried to be a day ahead of the pack when I wanted a spot on the North Shore on a holiday weekend.. Not real sure if it's a problem on Memorial Day weekend.. There are several spots along the shore on the left and mostly right of the Boy Scout Cross.. The store (Hawks) keeps a good stock of the basics so you don't have to worry about ice and such.. Enjoy your stay! Cool Very Happy
islendbird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring lots of bug spray and warm clothes..

It is rustic camping on the N Shore, but so beautiful Cool

Enjoy your stay!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Island.... But, as far as the black flies, etc., you might want to wear a hat with netting that comes down to shoulders and is not accessible for the flies to enter. (You know, like the hats that bee keepers wear) Also you may want to tie your pants legs so as the black flies will not get up your pants and bite your legs, and be sure to wear socks that go up over or into your pants legs. And watch out for your pets too if you are bringing any. These little buggars sure can bite and they can leave some nice size welts. #Onfire I am just teasing but these "Black Flies can bite!"
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your camping. We did for years before getting a roof! North shore has a good breeze so it helps keep the bugs off, but when we are polite and say rustic...it means no dumpsters, trash cans or bathrooms. Campers are responsible to pack all of their trash, garbage, excrement etc. out to the dock area, where there is a trash/dumping station. No one gets paid to patrol the beach, shore or woods and collect things after others, and there are few things worse than sanitation problems when you are on a day hike. They make a little port-a-john that is nice, sanitary and easily transports for camping. Last year we tried the off wipes in the plastic tub, they worked great for the little biting buggers, and we could rub the dogs faces with them too! All in all, it is a great place! #Turn-l
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: first time to island on Memorial Day Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys......and the advice and the humor :See you all in a few weeks.....Dee
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring back LOTS of pictures! Very Happy Some of us are craving a picture fix.. Very Happy
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also have a great view of Mackinac Island from the north shore camping area. If the weather allows, its nice to put a lounge chair out in the shallow water and read in the presence of that great view.

And don't forget to head over in the evening to the point on the northwest end to watch the sun set over the Mackinac Bridge.
SusieQ
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: New property owner Reply with quote

Hello: I am excited to be a new islander! Very Happy I came up last weekend to see the property I purchased from the Jarvis estate located on the North shore. The view is SO beautiful! I love the trees and the beautiful shoreline. I need some help from you folks who are familiar with the area services. I need to either purchase a used travel trailer or talk to someone who could I could hire to deliver one to my lot. I have found one I like down state but am not sure about getting it down my driveway which is narrow and winding. I am planning to return to the island for Memorial weekend and need a place to stay. Any suggestions Question
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase. By the way, is that the 30 acre property with 400 feet of grontage that Steve Beagle at Real Estate One had for sale? If so, I envy your view from the beach--its beautiful.

My advice is to go to Hawks Landing and ask questions of anyone there. I learned a lot about the island doing so and I am sure you will too. The Plaunt crew also can provide lots of info as well--so the boat trip over and back can be a learning experience!
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to last years' reminder, when camping on state land you are required to post a camping permit, available through the DNR, it is also good to let the Sheriff know where you are camping at in case of emergency, if you do not have a permit posted, another camper can just join you on the spot. And don't forget those burn permits if you intend to have a campfire!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! And Welcome to the forum! May you create many memories to enjoy on your new property... Very Happy Doug is right about asking at Hawks.. A good bit of the tradesworkers are in there for coffee early in the morning.. They can help too.. Curt is full of it.. Information, that is.. Laughing Be sure you get together with him. Good luck! Very Happy
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: first time to island Reply with quote

Hi again
I had wrote sometime back about our first trip to the island over Memorial Day weekend and have some questions AGAIN!! We talked to the DNR and they inform us we didnt need a camping permit for BBI ??? Now I read on the forum that we do need one Help.....also are the burn permits from DNR?
We are getting very excited about our trip and cant wait so any help would be very useful Thanks Dee
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee .. Have a wonderful Wonderful Time In WonderLand .. !! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , we will any advice on the questions? Dee
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are camping on your own property you don't need a camping permit. If you are using a camper trailer you must remove it at the end of the season. (zoning law) If you are burning you can get a burning permit at Hawks, I think... Hope this helps. Very Happy Have fun!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you get the fire permit from Hawk's. Its actually not a permit, they just write down who is having and where the fire will be so the fire dept can check on it. Of course when we had our fire last summer we just brought along some of the fire dept with us. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
for the answers and information once again.......Dee
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to make the right friends, invite the right people, isn't Troy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: