Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lighthouse Tour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Lighthouse Tour Reply with quote

A number of years ago a group tour of the 14 Foot Shoal light was organized and it was a pretty cool experience. Does anyone know how that was done?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: lighthouse tours. Reply with quote

I'm always up for a lighthouse tour! I have read some accounts of the BBI light, and they are quite interesting. I'd love to tour it as well. I rate the Round Island Light as my all time favorite. Too bad they are not kept open and exhibited.... at least on occasion. I realize the BBi Light is Private. What is the recent history of the place? Do the owners come up? Is it used as a residence? Such a beautiful and remote setting!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they do come up and put up with the site-seers. You'll need some good treads and decent ground clearance if on anything other than a quad. When I went up, they seemed to not totally appreciate all the visitors so I didn't bother asking to see inside. I think the light room was gutted years ago so not much is left to check out.

I'd really like to go out to one of the active lighthouses again. My GF is coming up this year for the first time and she loves lighthouses. It would be so wonderful to be able to pop the question at the top of one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just find on the GLLKA site a list of tours that take you to vaious lights on either side of the bridge. Sounds like a fun thing to do though you don't get to tour IN the lights.

http://www.gllka.com/events/summer.htm
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried to make it last summer in our rental car, only made it about half way and had to turn around. I would have kept going, but we still needed to drive the car back down state. Very Happy
I heard a rumor one of my cousins bought the lighthouse, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try using that car to reach the Fourteen Foot Shoal light?
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out.

For starters, I was wrong about which lighthouse. It was Poe Reef that we toured. The tour was set up by Bruce McAfee. One day he just decided to call the Coast Guard and ask for a tour and they did it.

I suggested that he do it again and he agreed. We'll see what happens.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: BBi lighthouse Reply with quote

The BBI lighthouse:

The road in there is 4wd/4 wheeler material. Narrow and lots of cedar roots to creep over. The entrance at the lighthouse is gated/posted. This is one of my favorite places on the island. But is IS privately owned.

I have no idea of how the owners normally respond to tourists or tours. I had never found anyone back there

Last summer, we trecked in there (in a Kawasaki Mule) to find a wedding soon to be going on. Thinking 1st/2nd week of June?. Quite a huge gathering, mostly younger folks. A festive atmosphere and beautiful sunny-summer day, to say the least. I can't recall names anymore ( because of lacking brain cells?) however I do believe the young couple getting married was from Montana and kin of the owners. We visited with the group for a better part of the afternoon. Anyway, I think beer was consumed.

We were granted a guided tour of the entire place.

The inside is unbelievable. Been restored and preserved in such a way as it might have been 100 years ago, while inhabited. Spartan/basic furnishings. Like a functional-museum of sorts.

Up into the light tower up the winding metal stairs (I have a picture). The lamp/lens is long gone. The view is several miles. Then out on the catwalk around the outside, maybe 70-80' up in the air... with 2 wire-cables about 3' high as "rails". Wind was blowing. I don't do well with heights and felt queezy... lasted about 3 minutes out there.

To get out on the catwalk, one has to crawl through a small trap door below the glass. So it is time to crawl back in. Inside the light room is this huge black lab, obviously a lighthouse veteran... in/out on the catwalk, flying up and down the circular stairs. He won't let me back in. Thinks I want to play as I am down on all fours, licking my face and trying to push me backwards out of the trap door. Lets just call it "interesting".

Back down the stairs. I did it all wrong. These are metal grates and steep, more like a ladder winding around a pole. You can see down 4-5 stories all the way to "ground zero". Going up isn't a big sweat. Easy enough to grab a step ahead and make the climb looking forward or up.

Like a moron, I went down "frontways" Nothing to hang on to, a view of certain death if I slipped. I made it, eventually. When I got to the bottom, I had to sit for 45 minutes to settle the cramps in my calves and thighs.

Anyway. It was a real thrill and I would like to thank those folks again for the hospitality, courtesy and "$5.00" tour. It was the highlight of that BBi trip, to actually get to see the inside of this historical monument.

I might also bet that some who post on this site were most likely at that gathering/celebration/wedding or could contribute names/details my memory has left behind.

C
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the names of the owners but not on my person at the moment.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip to Poe Reef !! Very Happy

I hope it happens for all of you ... Wish I could be there ..

Keep us posted .. Maybe I could fly in for it .... now thats wishful thinking !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Poe Reef. Reply with quote

Eric:

I heard that Poe Reef was actually manned at one time (before all the lighthouses were converted to automated).

Imagine sitting in there for ? time? I would think that would get a little tedious or claustrophobic. A good place to catch upon reading? Kind of like a mini Alcatraz sans sharks?

Whats inside of that place, beside a light?

C
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in there we also got to check out the old living quarters and the compressor room for the old horn. 14 Foot Shoal also has living quarters but never had a keeper as it was remotely controlled from Poe. My mom remembers going out to Poe as a child and joining the keeper for lunch and stories. Times have changed so much.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing whe you stop and consider when those structures were built (?) or HOW... out there in the channel. What? a barge with a cement mixer on board? Those are way older than the bridge.

I forgot about the horn. I would think sleep deprevation could be added to claustrophobia? Whew... have that puppy going off every minute or so, all night long, basically right in the lightkeepers ear?

That job would have to have been brutal.

C
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did confirm one of my cousins bought the BBI light house. That will be cool to see the inside of it the next time I am up there. I think it was probably after last summer, so it would be different owners from the time you were there Conis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy:

How did your cousins get that lucky?

I was under the the impression the BBI lighthouse was "family held" for 537 generations? They way they had the inside fixed was pretty awsome. It felt like a lighthouse ought to feel. Like a REAL lighthouse.

My congrats to cousins for the aquisition. That sort of opportunity doesn't come along very often. The place is awsome.

C
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a tour offered by Sheppler's Mackinac Island ferry service, unfortunately it was only the lights west of the Mackinac bridge (the eastern tour wasn’t available when I was up there). But its great, they have a guide from the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association (my tour guide was on the History Channel's Save Our History: Lighthouses talking about the St. Helena Island Light). But it was great, they get you really close to the houses, and tell a lot of history. I would like to go on the Easterly Cruise this summer if I can.

Hers a link:

Lighthouse cruises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that two brothers had owned it. I guess these would have been the previous owners?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: winding lighthouse steps. Reply with quote

Posted photo of the BBi lighthouse tower steps: Forward facing descent NOT recommended

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=773
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Pic, Conis. It has my vote for Season's category in the photo contest! Very interesting composition! forward or backward!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "interesting composition" makes me a little qweezy just looking at it.

You should have seen this big black lab whizzing up and down them. Feerless. I guess this would be where good-long toenails are an asset?
C
Pami-roo
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giggle-giggle! Was there no railing? Just had to slide your hand along the wall? I might've had to scoot down on my hinney honey!
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, do you know if your cousin will be up the first week of August?
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are normally up all season, but they probably stay in there house on the island. I don't know how much time they will actually spend at the lighthouse.

Conis - It is still within the "family". Harry McRae and Josie Metevier would be my cousins great-aunt and uncle and some kind of distant cousin of mine I guess.
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be wonderful if I could perhaps arrange a visit for some point during that week. There is something I may want to ask my girlfriend and she loves lighthouses.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked uh-oh, I'm not telling you anything now Eric!

Laughing Just kidding. Send me an email or PM and I will give you the details. I am sure something can be arranged. Also include your phone number, I may be coming to St. Louis tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: