Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Arial Photo Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Arial Photo Needed Reply with quote

I'm looking for an arial photo of the island that I can put on the front page of www.bois-blanc.com just under the "Welcome to Bois Blanc Island". If anyone has one that they could share I'd really appreciate it. Now, to be really picky, I'd like a westerly view that would show Boblo in the foreground and Round & Mackinac further back. Credit will be given where credit is due. Anybody have anything like that???

I'm also looking for a nice map to add to the list of "Handy Island Links". Can anybody point me in the right direction for a full page map?

Thanks,
Rob
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when Kathy Craft owned the Boathouse Restaurant, she had several photographs shot from the air on display and for sale....you could check with her, I see she is listed as a member on this page. I'm not sure what type of map you are looking for but the Michigan DNR site has a map as well as the Michigan Atlas and Gazetteer.

Brad
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those aerial photos were being sold at the Boathouse back when the Nagys ran it too, in the early '80s. I forget the photographer's name (it was just one man's name, as I recall), but if we can find him, I'd be interested in buying one or more myself. Others to ask might be Jim Gilligan, Al Hoffman, etc. since they are more involved with the landing field and might be able to shed light on who the pilot is/was.

Take care,
Dan
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

There is a guy that has taken tons of arial photos of the island. His name is Ken Rocheleau out of Cheboygan. His phone number is 231-625-9957. He might have exactly what you are looking for.

Clover
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: The Dump Lady Reply with quote

I think I might have finally figured out who you are!! - Since you signed your last reply (Clover) - I sat with Biff Jewel and Mike Gahn at the Spray camp and played guitars for a couple of hours a couple of weeks ago. We are coming up from Iowa in november again - Do we have to go to the Dump to meet you?? Laughing
dale hoffman
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as airial photos go- Clover is correct - Ken is the guy. I do most of his flying for his photos and I'll ask him next time I see him. I'm very sure he has something that will work. However, I don't know crap about this computer and scanner gissmo so I may need some help from you.

dale
Steve Coombs
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I plan on flying to the island in late January, March and again in May. Let me know if you want some digital photos taken on any or all of these trips. Let me know specifically what you need and I will try to accommodate. I am not a professional photogragher (or even a good amateur photogragher per my wife) but will do my best. Let me know.

Scoombs@riskresources.net
Office: 630-617-5229
Fax: 630-617-5128
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve & Dale,

Thanks for the offers. Any contributions would be appreciated. I think the best view would be from the east end of the island looking northwest so that Round & Mackinac would be in the background.

Steve, are you a pilot also? How long does it take to fly from Chicagoland? Which airport do you take off from?

Rob
Steve Coombs
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I am a recreational pilot. The flight from Chicago (DuPage Airport) to the island takes about 2.5 to 3.5 hours depending on winds. This beats the drive which takes 8 hours not including the ferry.

The next time up I will try to get the shots you need. This time of year the weather will have a lot to do with the results.

Take care.

Scoombs@riskresources.net
Office: 630-617-5229
Fax: 630-617-5128
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: