Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I'm appalled
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just no way to teach common sense. Leaving a fire burning is carelessness, just like throwing a beer can out the window of your pickup or dumping your trash at the dock. Each of these things happens on BBI from time to time. There is not a brochure or pamphlet or sign in the world that will change the kind of people who would do these things.

And, when such acts occur - a fire left burning, for example - the blame game begins. Where was Deputy Whipple? Why isn't there a sign? Didn't they read the pamphlet? The truth is, it all boils down to personal responsibility. Law enforcement can't see everything. And people aren't leaving fires burning because there were no pamphlets telling them not to. It is laziness and carelessness, pure and simple. "It'll probably be fine," and off they go. They are too *darn* lazy to haul six buckets of water up from the lake, and douse the fire. Smokey the Bear himself could put on an educational puppet show for them right in their own campsite, and they'd still do these dumbass things.

I like what Conis said: "I believe that for the most part, those who own property on the island or frequent the island are already environmentally aware. This is why 'we' all come to BBI. 'We' are not the problem(s). It is those who think of BBI as one big state forest campground where the DNR polices things and keeps stuff reasonably picked up."

Absolutely right. For those of us who care about BBI and spend time there, I think the best advice is to watch what goes on, get to know your neighbors, and pay attention. If you see something out of the ordinary and can safely do something about it, do it. There are already plenty of regulations in place - our enemy is apathy, more than it is ignorance. These people know it's not safe to leave a fire burning, they just don't care. Mad

Dan

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Reynolds wrote:
And people aren't leaving fires burning because there were no pamphlets telling them not to. It is laziness and carelessness, pure and simple.

excellent point.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan:

Once again you have boiled this down and said it better than anyone else.

Quote:
These people know it's not safe to leave a fire burning, they just don't care.

No they don't care, nor will they until "educated" with a staunch fine. The good news is if identified as doing this sort of crap, they have only one way off the island where Deputy whipple can intercede on their exit. All the rest who frequent the north shore (and other commonly used camping areas) can pay closer attention.

Ya Know, when you check into a motel, they ask to see ID and jot down a license plate number. Maybe this ought to be a prerequisite for obtaining a camp permit? If this isn't procedure already, it should be. If it were, maybe potential offenders would be less likely to pack up and leave without policing their site. Someone leaves a fire burning or junk all over, then there is a trail and laws already in place to deal with both. Carry a disposable camera in the glovebox...

Perhaps it might be necessary to assemble a screening and interview committee to intercept the morons and slobs at the ferry dock? As always, a few spoil it for everyone else.

C
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: edited Reply with quote

I posted this on July 1 in another area, but it seems to be appropriate here.
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, we certainly do get the sensitive issues going here from time to time! I'm still trying to change my avatar to a Cormorrant! I think we all have similiar feelings on this issue, they just come from slightly different perspectives! I am an Island lover, and an environmental tree hugger! I am not an Island land owner, but would love to be! ...
I was disheartened to read the post from the DNR stating that row boats could no longer be left at the put-ins. There is the end of an era, I thought sullenly to myself. ...

Finally, as previously stated in an earlier post, we must take the first step in preservation of our world; think globally but act locally is more than a trite cliche'.

A few Gentle Reminders for campers:
1. There is no trash pick-up along the North Shore, so cans thrown in the low areas along the roads will remain there unless picked up by future campers (you insensitive (&^(&^)@#!).
2. Toilet paper and feces burried a few inches under the forest duff will remain there for only a short time, (yes alice, skunks and racoons do eat *poop*!). Please bag your debris and take it out! (a nice seat that snaps over a 5-gallon bucket can be found in the camping section of some stores and then the bucket can be lined with walmart bags).
3. Fires do not consume everything thrown in them (including cans, bottles and diapers).
4. Cedar, especially green, is a poor fire log, as are almost all green growing trees and shrubs! Leave your dan'l boone hachet at home and burn fallen timber and ugly drift wood (emphasis on ugly!).
5. Don't break glass around camp!
6. Pull your tent stakes up, don't just break them off!
7. Leave your nails at home! Trees have feelings, and although they don't seem to mind ropes and straps, nails make them bleed!
8. Make sure your fire is out!
9. If possible, leave a little kindling and wood for the next camper that will probably arrive at dusk just like you did!
10 Leave the camp better than how you found it!
and for the hunters: beach goers hate seeing your spent wads and shells along the beach almost as much as the ducks do! Pick them up!

There, I feel better!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad ewwwwwww...let's not EVER talk about eating poop again...
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of our Sheriff ... he is one man ... we are many. We do not pay him for 24/7 service. Even though he comes out whenever called. With his wife ill this spring he still managed to juggle downstate with her, and our Island demands. Most of our complaints are not part of the sheriff's office, they are DNR issues. And the DNR has been on our piece of paradise more this past year than ever before. Send an e-mail to the Gaylord office supervisor, let him know of the camping complaints, the water issues, the atv speeds, the gypsies on the beach, the illegal fish nets that wash up on the north shore, the people who keep putting sofa's and stuffed chairs on the north shore around fire pits! Get the idea, don't just complain here. And don't take it out on Graham for trying to save the Township massive legal fees, people are sue happy, and would have no guilt at sueing the township for violation of their rights. #Mad Okay, enough on my soap box. I cannot be there on the 23rd. But, I have issue with the Parks and Rec group. In that the lake I live on is just recovering from damage inflicted by ... year round people, tourist, campers, boaters, get my drift. And they want to make a park on it for people to use it more, when they couldn't control the damage the last time non-lake residents had a place to go to. Even better it is the parks and rec committee's primary, first goal. So I am sorry but I will not support the P & R Committee, especially when they did not canvass anyone who owns on the lake to participate in the survey to see what the priority should be. Another topic for another day. But PLEASE give our firefighter's and our sheriff a break, they do a great job! When was the last time your cottage was broken into and vandalized? Oh, never..hmmm
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that anyone was ridiculing our sherif nor our fire department. I think the concerns were more of helping them not bashing them.

I hear your concerns and they are equally valid. your negativity toward the parks and rec committe? do you mean the BBI parks and rec committe? those of us holding the meeting are not part of this park and rec committe although we are inviting them. are you aware that our beloved sheriff is on this park and rec committe?

also, breaking and entering and vandalism has happened on our island. may i also say that it is a very sensitive subject for those involved and please be cautious with your words " When was the last time your cottage was broken into and vandalized? Oh, never..hmmm"

it has happened and it still hurts!
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy Childs wrote:
When was the last time your cottage was broken into and vandalized? Oh, never..hmmm

actually, two summers ago.

three men broke into our cottage...they pulled the molding off the back door...spray painted in the fridge, on the fridge, on the windows, in the bathroom, on the walls, in the toilet...nasty stuff...derogatory words and childish pictures of body parts....this happened within 6 months of my dad's death. my mother, brother, aunt, uncle and i spent hours of our family vacation using nail polish remover and cotton filling to get it off. nothing else worked.

this is kind of a sensitive issue for my family.

Graham was wonderful to my mother after this happened and treated it with the utmost seriousness...

please understand that bad things do happen on the island.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JessKidder wrote:
we have a responsibility to talk to people who are doing wrong. During the 4th weekend my dog was crossing the street and a van (never seen it on the island before) was flying down the road through the pines and had to slam on the brakes. I was standing right there and politely waved, said thanks for stopping, and reminded them that the speed limit is 25 and this is exactly why it is 25. the woman in the passenger seat threw up her hands and proceded to yell at me. I shook my head, smiled and again reminded them that the speed limit is 25 and to have a nice weekend.

Getting yelled at is no fun but easy enough to deal with. Why people bring city mentality to the island I will never know.

That was my wife and me in the van. We weren't exceeding the speed limit or driving recklessly... No one yelled at anyone... And I don't think we've ever had a city mentality (hence our affinity for BBI). Enough said. Bottom line - we are glad it didn't turn tragic.

I've edited this post because I wanted to apologize to JessKidder for being so bitter in my initial response. It was uncalled for. Guess I should never post while angry... Embarassed just like I should never shop for groceries while hungry.

Sorry Jess!

Dan

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! I've been absent for quite awhile. I agree with some points and very much disagree with others. We aren't going to solve the camping problems, so the best thing is to police it ourselves. However, there are state laws and federal laws that pertain to the entire state and most people that come to this island for vacation think that none of those laws need to be followed or pertain to Bois Blanc Island and THAT really peeves me!!! I don't necessarily think that imposing more rules or laws is an answer because most people that visit here don't want to follow the ones that have been set in place for the state as it is. Like I said, people think that state laws don't apply over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of JessKidder, that was my friend and I walking on the other side of the road, it WAS quite a screeching hault, and while I'm not a police officer trained in visual assesment, I'd say you were going over 25 mph. And I distinctly remember both passenger and driver windows being down. Maybe the dogs should've been on a leash, but I'm just stating what I witnessed. Sorry.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilotkid - no need to be sorry. I have attempted to set the record straight (see above post). All's well. Very Happy

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

Gee ... I spent alot of time writing a message and leaving it before I posted it to take care of children and guess what I found out ???? Ya cannot do that cause it times out or something .. so here I am writting it again Rolling Eyes

When I lived on the island as a kid in the pines .. my mom would get very upset cause when the summer familes would come each year they would let there doggies run free .. it was the same familes every year ... its still going on .. same families .. just the younger generation ...

She taught me if we wanted our Doggie to be safe we needed to take care of it ... I cannot tell you how many chain link fences I have put up and paid for as we moved and rented homes Thoughout the years ... but we had too to give our doggies a place for them to run free and be safe .... And I will tell you that if I brought my doggie to the island she would be on a leash ..until she was in a safe place and away from people ... I do not want her to get hit by a car !! or cause problems for other people ...

Do I want a leash law on the island ????? NO !! Exclamation .. and it does not have to be if we are responsible ..

Dan thanks for coming on and sharing how you feel....
I have seen this same thing years ago in the pines ...
its still going on after all these years ... from what you have shared ... hmmm.. I like to have the island free but we do have to be responsible at the same time ..

I do not even drink but ban drinking on the beach ???? NO WAY !!!! Exclamation
I bet its not legal on main land but so what ????? WE want our island to have freedom ...

Bad things happen with or without laws ...
I will leave the site on that note ..

Have a Grand Day ..... I will be back
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Fire Reply with quote

I wanted to mention and forgot to add it in my message that

FIRE AWARNESS IS VERY IMPORTANT ON THE ISLAND ............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Well, I guess that I'm odd person out. Reply with quote

I'm used to dogs sleeping in the middle of the road, requiring drivers to carefully circle, or stop, get out, and move them over to the side.

I can't imagine a panic stop at 25 MPH that would scare "the daylights" out of anyone.

But I can't see why someone would want to come to an island to experience 'nature' and bring along a domestic animal.

Since some do bring dogs, I wish the owners would keep them leashed unless they are on their own property. (I've found that when visitors bring their pets into my space, the wildlife flees.)

I don't think most folks really like the Island for its woods. I think most like it because it's within an easy drive, and it's cheap. Mostly, it's cheap.
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I drive over six hours to get to the island with a wife and four kids, there's nothing easy about that drive. I'd also like you define cheap. Gas prices being what they are, and $74 for a round trip ferry ticket, tell me, what exactly is cheap? I love the island because of the solitude and the closeness to nature. I could go to Kings Island or Cedar Point as "cheap".
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a moderator it is my responsibility to let you all know that the postings are off topic and getting ugly.. Please refrain from further snipping..
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Susie! But I do have to say that there are state laws and local Island laws that should be followed, but most people that come here think that when they get to the island "it's different" here and that the laws don't pertain to anyone.

If we want to perserve the island at it's present state of being as long as possible, then we ALL have to follow the laws. Simple!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't forget the vandalism caused by the various dirt bikes (the kind with engines) owned by a certain group of boys and other visitors. I don't mind hikers cutting through but when you get a track worn bare through your back yard, you start considering getting spike strips to flatten the tires.

I remember, as a kid, being able to go anywhere you could wander without the fear of being chased away, shot at or eaten. There was such a higher level of trust back then. These days it's just really annoying seeing more and more Private Property - Keep Out signs posted. It's mostly because of disrespectful morons that realize their campsite would be much better with a couple chairs they just happened to have found. I think every newcomer should require a background check, finger printing and DNA mapping. They should also have to check-in every six hours with a parole officer.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you realize how much the island has changed since I was a young girl growing up here?? And I have had to endure all of those who come here and the things they do, and all of you are just going to have to do the same thing. I don't really think this subject needs to go any further....things change, and times change....get used to it. I had to!
Samspath
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Well, I guess that I'm odd person out. Reply with quote

Charlie Trie wrote:

I can't imagine a panic stop at 25 MPH that would scare "the daylights" out of anyone.

It wasn't the stop that scared me - it was the idea that the dogs could have been injured or worse. I have never hit an animal with a car, as a driver or passenger, and I hope that I never will. Heck, I feel bad when I see an animal that's been hit by someone else.

I'm used to driving in an area where chances are incredibly high that a half dozen deer will suddenly be in front of you, running across the road. It just made me mad ("threw up my arms") to see those dogs in the road and three people allowing it to happen.

If people don't want to leash their dogs then teach them to heel on command. People are responsible to protect their pets - EVERYWHERE.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact.............I've had to LIVE with it. Most of you only vacation with it and you want it to be perfect to your needs and wants, then you leave until your next vacation. I'm not trying to be critical or nasty, but just trying to point out that all of you have certain things that gripe you when you get up here, but you have to understand that the more and more people that come here the more things are going to change and happen, and not be the same as you remember it years ago. We just all need to try and do the right thing and not place blame on everyone else. No one's perfect, and we all make mistakes. Accept the change and try to live with it for the short period you are here.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be thinking of all these things when I visit...
I always try to be respectful, it's almost like going to
someone else's house.
I too, do not like the 4 wheelers and dirt bikes,
especially when they come barreling thru the pines.

I always have thought to myself, the people that live
here must get awlful annoyed. When we have the
festival, here in TC, I would almost like to be somewhere
else. Lots of fun things going on, but it is geared towards
the visitors. Lets show them a good time so they come back.
Without these tourists, downstaters, fudgies, trolls(I don't say this) there would not be alot of jobs here, a way to make a living to stay here. TC

I think we all need to cool our jets, before this thread gets blocked,
and get back on topic.
I have seen many things change environmentally in The WORLD,
just like on the Island. People not caring, and thinking they can do whatever they want, no matter how destructive. I think, informing them of the concequences, and giving info on the right way is a great idea.
I appaud these people who want to do something about it. Atleast they are trying something.
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family and I have been "campers" for as long as I can remember and we have always obeyed the unwritten rules of camping. I would imagine that the people who are doing all these things are kids and amateurs. What would be great is if there was a little money somewhere to pay for a camp ranger to regulate and over see camping on BBI. But, we all know that there is no money for that. Too bad they couldn't levy some kind of small fee for camping to pay for clean up and supervision. We drove by one of the "campgrounds" last week and it seemed to be very clean and organized but I'm sure people just camp where ever and it would be difficult to regulate were and how people camp. It stinks that a few people can ruin it for others. If the people who are doing all this stupid stuff keep it up, they will eventually out-law camping all together on BBI.
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marybeth wrote:
What would be great is if there was a little money somewhere to pay for a camp ranger to regulate and over see camping on BBI. But, we all know that there is no money for that. .

there is always money available if we are willing to work together to get it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: