Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

this isn't fun anymore...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: this isn't fun anymore... Reply with quote

i would just like to say that people are getting nasty and downright rude. i am no angel...i have been known to post something sassy and sarcastic but never mean. that post is out of control for a group of adults with one huge common interest.

Participators are making assumptions about others love of the island and personal experiences. "i love the island more than you" "no, i love it more than YOU"...i believe the post can live on and should not be ban as people should be free to discuss what ever island related business they wish. however, i am done with that old topic.
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... so you're saying we should like, play nice?

agreed. well, unless you tell me that you love the island more than me... then we might have to fight to the forum death
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Katie, this is terrible. As for meetings? People come to BBI to get away from such things. This is a place for peace and fun. Pick up the trash, put out the fires, leave others alone, and mind your own business. That is what this place is all about
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rosemary. I'm wondering if people would say all these things face to face.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. As one of the moderators of this site, I guess I haven't been doing the greatest job of moderating - in fact, when it was me being accused of adverse behavior, I jumped right into the fray. Sorry for propagating the negativity instead of upholding all the great reasons for which Rob created this site.

Those of us who plan to spend any amount of time on BBI have to get along. It is a place that offers great freedoms, but (here's a platitude you saw coming!) with freedom comes responsibility.

Among my many faults is the fact that I haven't taken the time to get to know more people on the Island. I've always kept to myself, other than waving hello on the road. This bulletin board offers a meet-n-greet opportunity we can't afford to miss, or to lose because we abused it.

Rob... Thanks again for creating this bulletin board. I'm glad it's here. And thanks to everyone else for your patience as we worked through some "issues" back there.

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dan.. Very Happy Slap It's tough to put the brakes on open discussion and honest opinions.. Hopefully this gave us all an idea on where the lines are drawn.. There is personal message options for those of you that need to follow up to comments you are upset with.

I'm proud that there is a group developing out of all this that want to help with finding funding and care of our special place.. Thank you to all of you that will attend and follow up with the ideas. :wave:
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: agreed... Reply with quote

rosemary, that's a good call.....

however, the forum is basically for people to voice their opinions....so i think it would be wrong to try and put moderation on people's opinions....

i think the topic is just very sensitive....things will die down....we all love the island, and to hear people disrespecting it is sort of disappointing....

so....if we all do our part, things will be okay and the tranquil environment that we love will remain intact....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very wise reply young grasshopper...
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: this isn't fun anymore... Reply with quote

katie wrote:

i would just like to say that people are getting nasty and downright rude. i am no angel...i have been known to post something sassy and sarcastic but never mean. that post is out of control for a group of adults with one huge common interest.

in response to my sister (katie)....

people do need to choose words wisely....adjective such as "stupid" and "moronic" are definitely not appropriate no matter how sensitive the subject is....so good call katie

sassy and sarcastic comments will continue to come from the shannon siblings....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassy and sarcastic is good...in fact, the island is known for that!! Rolling Eyes Your Dad would be proud of both of you...and I sure he is looking down here wondering what in the world people are thinking!!!!!
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Let me be slightly linear for a moment. Reply with quote

From dictionary.com, an accepted definition of moron is << a mentally retarded person who has a potential mental age of between 8 and 12 years and is capable of doing routine work under supervision>>.

If you re-read my post, you'll notice that I characterized the behavior,
NOT the person.

Ciao[/b]
First time to island
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen.............to stop the name calling and over all bashing...everyone seems to have a common ground of the best for the island but it was abit scarey with the recent forum
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the word stupid, sorry it was taken that way. If it is me you are refering to, if not, forget I was here.

Cool

Have a great day!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I Reply with quote

This is the place to Vent and Vent we should .. Exclamation

Poppa Boot Hands said:

the forum is basically for people to voice their opinions....so i think it would be wrong to try and put moderation on people's opinions....

I AGREE Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are limits for our public behavior. This is a public site and there are limits here too..
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, things have quieted down considerably....
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will be NHL hockey again this fall ! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: