Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

How Long Have You Been Coming to the Island?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Long Have You Been Coming to the Island?
0-2 Years
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
3-5 Years
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
6-10 Years
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
11-15 Years
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
16-20 Years
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
21-30 Years
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
31-40 Years
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
41-50 Years
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
51 or more
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
I've lived here all my life.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 32

Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: How Long Have You Been Coming to the Island? Reply with quote

Time to get a new poll on the front page, so here it is. If you're brave enough, post a reply stating your age. Very Happy

Rob
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start. We've been coming to the island since Memorial Day weekend 2001. It was love at first sight! I just turned 37 on Oct 14th.

Mr. Green
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Years coming to the Island Reply with quote

I goofed - I should have voted for 31 to 40 years - #Milti
Can it be changed??
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Years coming to the Island Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
I goofed - I should have voted for 31 to 40 years - #Milti
Can it be changed??

I'm working on it. I'm not quite sure how to do it.

[edit] okay, fixed now![/edit]
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been goin to the cottage since i can remember, and I don't plan on stopping, in fact, depending a cercumstances, i hope to retire and live year round there. Im 19, by the way, so I have a long time, hopefully the island won't change too much in that time.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to the Island for as long as I can remember... I'm going on 44. We went to visit my grandparents in the Pines... I've spent a winter there one time and consider it one of the best times of my life.. We hauled wood and water every day and did a lot of cross crountry skiing.

We took an Island tour every year.. Piling into the back of a pick-up and hauling a picnic lunch. We would stop here and there to swim or collect wild flowers.. We found old dump sites and collected the old bottles we discovered. We would usually stop at Sand Bay to swim then head out to the West End for a quick look around. Sometimes we would stop to see Mrs. Bible at her old farm before heading to the North Shore.. Then McRaes Bay and a walk in the woods to visit Mary McRaes burial place. We didn't try the Lighthouse road often.. Too tough to travel. Sometimes we saved the East End, Mary Lake and Snake Island for another day and headed home via Fire Tower Road..

Sooo many memories!! Thanks Rob for a place to share..
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Best Times Ever! Reply with quote

Personally I've been coming to the Island every year except this one for 9 years. I've camped by one of the inland lakes, camped on the north shore many, many times and have stayed in McGeorge's cottage three times.

My husband on the otherhand had family living on the Island for several years. Lyle and Betty Clover had a house (they might still own it, I'm not sure) near the dock. And one of the log cabins in The Pines was owned by his family for many years. We referred to it as "The Lower Cabin".

We've celebrated birthdays, Thanksgiving and carried on a family hunting tradition on the Island. We have made many wonderful memories there. I can't wait to one day live permanently in the one place we consider heaven on earth. It probably won't be until we retire, but it will be worth the wait. Wink

Don't know why you want our ages Razz but, I'm 40, my husband is 43 and our kids are 15, 13 and 11.

Very Happy
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:51 am    Post subject: Ask a woman her age!? Reply with quote

Confused ..I have been going to BBI since I was born. Missed a few while I lived in Houston. I am 38. I have 2 boys, 15 and 10. See pic called Pool Sharks in Special Albums.
Susie ... You remember the bears at the dump? And all the stuff we used to find there? LOL! Lisa
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have visited ever since I was born, and I wish I was ther now. Instead I'm in school at Wayne State. I did do a speech on the island this semester. No one in my class had ever heard of BBI. And they call themselves educated!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Some "Really Educated People" are Crazy! Reply with quote

We are crazed, obsessed, hautingly stimulated, we dream about, think about, wonder about, this wonderful Island. I don't know why I am at peace there, it always seems I am moving and doing something. You wake up early(taking advantage of every hour), your appetite is great and everything tastes so good, even the burnt hotdogs cooked over the flame out to Sand Bay! You go to bed late, either from visiting someone there, or from the bar! You talk , talk, and talk.....I have gone hoarse so many times just from running my mouth. You can't wait to get there, and you try to be on the very last boat off, on the day you really have to leave. Even calling Plaunt's and changing your plans after reservations have been set.
You drive around the Island with ruts in the road and trees scratching up your car, and you don't care! The most beautiful sound around is hearing the waves, realizing you are still there when you wake up! You sit on a beach, reading a book, taking a swim, and you don't wear a watch, and when you do, you wait til the very last, to get to the boat, having packed your bags and put them in the car, so you can leave from that last minute drive. I have done it before, you have too. We love our Island!

Hey Rob! How's that for an opening paragraph! Razz Lisa
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lana!! I'm sooo glad you have finally arrived!!! Hope to chat with you soon..
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavendar Lynn, How did you get that wonderful picture under your name! I love it and want one too!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born in '71 and have been coming to the Island since '72... Guess that makes this a 30th anniversary year for me!

Dan
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: 10 years Reply with quote

I was introduced to the island by a friend of mine named Jim Vitany, about 10 years ago. His parents own a small cabin near Snake Island. His mom and dad were nice enough to give me a key when they noticed how I fell in love with the place. The cabin is rustic, no electricity or indoor plumbing...but it is great! Isn't it great to have a place to go where you don't hear lawn mowers, you don't have to deal with politics and you can just get away from your job? Being a teacher, I have the opportunity to get away from work (although I love it) more than some others. I hope that all people associated with the island will work in some way to keep it as special as it is now........Let's pray that we are in no way ever a Mackinac Island!! Brad Knoll
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!! Lana is here #Milti
The first time I was on the island I was 6 weeks old, 32 yrs ago. I don't remember that trip, but as far back as I remember we spent our summers there. The best ones were when Missy and LAna were there too!

Lisa, I love your post. I tried to send you an reply to your email but it came back undelivered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, Oh sure!!!! That's a pretty sneaky way of finding out everyone's age!! Weed out the old, bring in the new, and toss the inbetween back and forth a bit before you can decide what to do with them!! Just kidding! I'm am 48 years old, still feel like I'm 20 in mind, but have come to the realization that I'm not Crying or Very sad Ok, now who else is gonna fess up!! Come on you guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 9:44 am    Post subject: I want a picture like Lynn! Reply with quote

I like Lynn's Pic by her name I want one! But would I have to give up my Islands??? Crying or Very sad
Thanks Troy! Wink
I am 38...... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Al'sOtherSister on Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to ask the Webmaster about that, he is in control ya know!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: How long coming to the island! Reply with quote

HI - I've Been coming up from Iowa since 1970 - 62 years young and just retired this fall! - Even though it is 600 miles, I have been to the island well over 100 times - Some of the guys from Iowa that come to our camp have been coming up since the early 50's. We stay at the Spray Camp on Rocky Road just off of the main road. I see where someone has Jim Cossicks cabin - New him well!! I am in the process of getting information on who is buried along side of Mary McCrae - I do know there are 11 buried there and I should be able to get names of 10 of them.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides of my family have a place on the island. My mom's side (the Sandford's which later became the Shannon's and McLaury's) have been coming to the island since 1899, and living there during the summer every year. My dad's side came more recently, in the mid 1900's. Grandpa Freye came to hunt with Al Smith, and eventually built a cabin at snow beach. My parents met on the island, and I have been coming up ever since I since i was born.
~Jonathon Freye
Steve Coombs
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie. My brother Dave and I flew to the island to look at a piece of property last winter. We spent a few hours touring on our snowshoes and that was enough for us to know the island is the place for our families to come visit and enjoy. We ended up buying property on Twin Lakes from the Sanborns and Twiggs. We were just up for a week at Thanksgiving and had a chance to meet our neighbors-really nice helpful folks.

I've spent a lot of time on Beaver Island in the last 20 years. Bois Blanc is a lot like Beaver Island used to be.

Happy holidays to all of you. Keep the spirit alive!

Scoombs@riskresources.net
Office: 630-617-5229
Fax: 630-617-5128
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Age and Island longevity Reply with quote

Well I'm 46 this year, I first came to the island when I was 12 years old, my older sister was Char Plaunt's roommate at CMU, my parents brought me every summer for 2 weeks and we swam no matter what the water temperature was. As an adult I would come stay two or three weekends a year at the old hotel and just relax. Then in 1990 we bought land and built in 1993 the log cabin on Mary's Lake. In 4 years and 5 months we will be full time residents! Not that we are counting!
Kathy Craft
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a place down by snake island. We came up to visit my in-laws,
Rosie and Bevon Baugher in 1988. We fell in love with the island and bought a cabin on Mary's Lake. My in-laws now own the cabin. We ran the Boathouse for 10 years. Really miss the island very much. I'm renting a place in Cheboygan while I'm working. At least I don't have very far to drive for a visit. Don't get there as much as I want to. Merry Christmas every one.

Kathy Craft
and 3 boys. We owned and operated the Boathouse from 1991-1999. After my husband passed away in 1999, I have been in Cheboygan with our son Rick while he is in high school. Will be back on the island soon.
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: The old lady Reply with quote

Okay, until Audrey replies, I'll be it! I've been coming up here since 1953, when my Dad bought his dream at Sand Bay. I'm 52 (don't mind saying that actually), and I've lived here full time for 13 years, going on 14! I could NOT live back in the city again - altho' that's nice to visit occasionally. I know others who have been coming longer (Fifi, for one), but they haven't been to this question yet! Rolling Eyes
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lani! I'm glad you are here and have some time to catch up... I see you have made it to stone skipper.. Not fun being black fly bait... Miss you guys and hope to see you soon. #Usa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: