Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I'm appalled
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if there is money out there to get the DNR to post a camp ranger on the island, It's definalty something to look into. Where do we start?
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNR? I think we need to look locally for island management. the DNR doesn't have the budget capabilities for such a position. and bringing in the DNR may not be what the collective island wants nor needs? i do not know? but I am willing to listen and help ( have posted a great deal of info about this )
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for getting started, that's what was hoped for in the upcoming meeting. If nothing else, to get people in the mind frame of doing something, no matter how small, instead of just saying that something needs to be done. I think everyone who has posted on this thread agrees that something needs to be done, but there has to be a base to stand on before you can make real progress.
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said Ambs.

I am looking forward to the meeting. although we still don't have a place to hold it yet.......
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all else fails there's always more unofficial places to hold it.

how amusing would it be to hold it somewhere like the old dock... or pavillion... or most ironic: the north shore
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, as a owner of property on the Island can not understand why there are those that feel that once you get off the boat that you are now foot loose and fancy free. There are rules that should be followed on the Island as well as anywhere else. Keeping your surroundings, property clean. Supervizing your children-teenagers. A few years back we saw a young guy (maybe 15-16) walking in the Pines drinking a can of beer. Dogs running free and like someone else mentioned, scaring off the wild life or worse yet, going after and killing the wild life. Bois-Blanc is a part of Michigan and there are leash laws and the only time your dog does not have to be leashed is when he or she is on their own property and stays there. True that it has come to the point that signs need to be posted on property saying keep off, private proiperty, etc. Is done for the property owners rights and protection. Yes, years ago it was different. But that was then and this is now. I do know that from the first time I arrived on the Island (maybe 20 years ago) it had the reputation that anything goes here. For some that may be just dandy. Fun is fun but to a limit. And alot of this is not just pertaining to those that visit just in the summer. Just remember, the Island needs visitors and we need the Island and we all need to go by what is right. None of us are saints but we can do our part in taking responsibility for our actions and correct them if needed without someone else having to tell us what we may or may not be doing wrong. As individuals we all know. And by the way, if the officer was needed, how in the world would someone reach him? Is there not but 1 pay phone on the Island and cell phones are not that usable there? What then would a person do for help for any kind of an emergency? My only conclusion is that warnings to those that do wrong is not the solution. Is like nothing but a slap on the hand. Maybe we need more law enforcement in the summer months?
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: See how much fun it is when you let down your hair? Reply with quote

Ranting gets rid of bad humors, and it exposes real issues.

I've seen the island go through a bunch of cycles. It usually recovers during a good economic recession. Right now, the real estate bubble seems to be filling the punch bowl.

So party on, dudes!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Last night when I was on here and had my thoughts about done I had to leave it and when I came back it would not post so I wrote it again but I did not share all that I shared in the first one .. So tonight I have more time so I will write it again ..

When I lived on the island in the pines we would have visitors that would come see us each summer .. they were the city doggies .. my mom would be quite upset by it ..... I am not really sure why except that she was trying to teach my self and my brothers that if you own a doggie then you need to besure you know where it is at all times ... The city doggies and our doggie could create quite a stir with their barking/ doggie talk ...

Later on after many years .. I thought Is it really that bad to have the city doggies come in our yard and sniff around and lift their leg on whatever happend to be there ???? I did not think it was a bad thing at all ..... Its called freedom .......

Myself if I brought my doggie to the island I would keep my doggie within eye range if she was in our yard and would not let her out of the yard .. cause she would get her little nose on the ground and before you know it she would be gone .... So I would lease when needed and let her loose when it was safe for her .... Threres always the time a doggie gets away before you know it for sure ...

Here where I live we have a fenced area for her and we have a doggie door for her ....

Also I feel blessed to live in an area that is county ... with Granbury just right there ... so we have the best of two worlds ......

There is horses across the road from us .... I love it .. Watching them is relaxing ... and there are days you can smell them but who cares ... its the country !!
also a few roads before you come down our road lives a beautiful goat ( not sure what kind he is but know hes worth alot !! ) then theres also Rooster and Hens ...

The neighbor that has the horses also has a doggie that comes over when my hubby gets off work and we give him a treat .. he runs free but does not go far .... stays on this short road that comes into our home and a few others ... there are also a few others that are running free ...... they have not done anything to bother us except acouple years ago the one across the road lifted his leg on one of my plants and killed it but owell ..

But I still stand strong to what my mother taught me .... If you love your doggie ..keep it safe .. do not let it run .... know where it is at ...at all times ..........

We can also have a a fire in our yard .. if we want too ....

I feel very lucky to live in this area ...

We are looking to move and we are hoping to get a peice of land not far from us so we can have the freedom of living in the country ....

I think I have more freedoms here then on the island ... unless they have changed some of the zoning ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I think we should contine on as long as we want ..

I do not agree its getting out of hand ...

The site is here to share the good and the bad and the ugly ...

As Beautiful as the island is ....... Theres the GOOD .. BAD and the UGLY ... there on the sweet Island we ALL love ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
islendbird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: status quo Reply with quote

I have been following this thread and politely shutting up... letting others vent and express several very valid view points. I was on BBI last week, all seemed pretty status quo and under control to me?

All of what I am reading seems to be some "boil over" from the 4th weekend when the island is probably the busiest of the season? sure there are going to be a couple of incidents. There will always be a couple of incidents, there have always been a couple of incidents. Get any "bunch" of people in one lump... there will be incidents

Appreciate the remaining freedoms available on BBI. "be careful what you wish for". I will take some of the inconveniences of he-haw rural country life and the freedoms that come with it in place of regulated, posted, enforced, policed urban life. It is only when some one infringes on these freedoms by lack of respect, that problems arrise. BBI Zoning rules and regs and permits etc. already exceed most other rural areas... and more are needed? Bringing "city ways" to BBI? This is a solution?

Where I am from (Blanchard), most don't "contain" their dogs. They don't need to. The dogs get road wise and stick around the homestead. If they aren't road wise, they don't last long. If they take up deer chasing, they often just "disappear". If a stray dog wanders in, it is homestead dogs duty to run him off. The neighbors dog wanders up the road, now and then. I know whos dog it is. So what? We have a little visit and he wanders home again. If he created a problem, I would talk to my neighbors about it. The last thing I would do it call animal control. It just doesn't work that way. As neighbors, we are family (dogs included) and watch out for one another. Thats the way it should be and those are freedoms which can't be assigned value or regulated. How it is in the hinterlands. All neighbors are "personally responsible". If someone screws up, they hear about it directly from all other neighbors.

My neighbor in Afton (camp), a couple doors down has an English Setter named Roscoe. As far Roscoe is concerned, my yard is his turf, too. He doesn't go far nor cross the road. He hears my car door slam and he is over like a shot to great me. Perfectly welcome I mght add. Go get Roscoe a hot dog. Ask him to go home and off he goes.

Roscoe has a new room mate as of Late: A pygmy goat that follows him like a shadow. This goat is a stitch. Roscoe comes over and so does "Elroy" (the goat). Elroy likes crackers. He has also been a little tough on my impatiens (flowers). I can get some more flowers. I get a kick out of both of them and consider them neighbors and guests.

To this, I might add: There are "property boundaries" which are moot. Walk across any of the neighbors property for any reason and usually stop and visit if someone is around. Pretty much like it is around blanchard. Everyone knows everyone and watches out for everyone. I is called rural. And just the way I like it, options considered.

Now then, how might any of this fly on BBI if a dog and goat were running loose mooching crackers, hot dogs and flowers from neighbors? In my book, maybe heading back in the right direction? If I prefered fences and rules, I'd be living in the city.

If it is necesary to erect camping spot # signs and make unregulated camping areas into formal-regulated "campgrounds"... then think about what is being lost for what has been gained? If there are problems (however infrequent) it seems there would be simple direct solutions. There will always be incidents, regardless.

C
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear Hear.. Very Happy Best I've heard yet.. Thanks. Cool
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I would like to see the "old Timers" take the land back

Laughing
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I hear you loud and clear Conis .. And I like what I hear .... Exclamation

I agree with you !! Very Happy and support you Smile

LET FREEDOM RING ON BOIS BLANC ISLAND Exclamation
islendbird

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I agree with you Islendbird ...

Keep it Rural !!

So lets keep forestry/agriculture in mind when you make the zoning laws...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: