Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

INCOMING!!! Run for cover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: INCOMING!!! Run for cover? Reply with quote

Greetings to all.

Well… Hmmmmm…. Just returned from BBI yesterday and I am sure I have started a few rumors flying around.

So I might as well issue a formal “press release”

Get used to seeing Conis (aka Terry DuPuis) around BBI.

After a lot of frustration and futility, I found myself at the right place and time… and acquired a camp on Rocky Road. This would be 3 places north of the Spray camp, same side… Has brown fake brick asphalt siding ontoit. The previous owner Tom Pollard (From Indian River area) did a class A inside-remodel job. I got Lucky. “Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while”.

I am very much looking forward spending more time on the island (now that I don’t have to sleep in my pickup), hopefully to become more a part of things, and mostly meet some of you wonderful folks, in person.

Of course any and all are welcome to stop in and BS, have a couple Pepsis, adult beverages or whatever I got the most of. Even Rudy.

I drive a dark green GMC pickup. I look like Redd Greene with a moustache, gray hair and often wearing an Indian River or U-M shirt/hat ensemble or whatever. Guess I need to get a "Conis Rocks" (once in a while) hat????

Please introduce yourself if you are so inclined to do so. I don’t bite. I don’t even bark. I do howl at the moon.

So, there ya are, and here I went.

Conis

Last edited by Conis on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Road? Sweet, I cut through everytime I go to Hawk's, made a few trips on the 4 wheeler through there last weekend while I was up there. Cool stuff.
cal'sangel9
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Ben there, done that Reply with quote

Rocky Road eh? always a fun cut through, especially when there's three feet of water in the middle.(might i add, i've gotten stuck a couple times Very Happy )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha true that little cuz! There was some water when I was up there, but not a whole lot. Its not that much fun splashing through by yourself, however.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful! Congratulations on setting in some roots, Conis! Hope to catch up with you sometime.. Very Happy
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Conis!
I look forward to the day I can make a simular post on my own land purchase. I hope to meet you sometime, maybe next summer I will make it up.

Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Well water om BBI Reply with quote

Now that the blind pig has found his acorn, and getting rooted in...

A couple questions that some of you might be able to help me with.

I have a 60' 4" well at the new/old digs, plenty of water BUT as far as IRON, this water is setting new world standards. I know iron wont hurt you physically... but a little tough on plumbing, water heater, fixtures etc. Is this level of iron saturation typical on the island?

What am I looking at? Deeper well, expensive iron filter system or just live with it?

Question #2: It occures to me that wells on the island are basically pumping water out of Lake huron, obviously well filtered through gravel. I seriously doubt there is any sort of "microbe" contamination and is safe in this department. I wonder about PCBs and heavy metal saturation? "dont eat more than one fish a week" and what are the fish drinking?

Wondering if I ought to have the well tested or if anyone else has recently had their well(s) tested? All pretty much the same water.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

(UPDATE edited from this post)

This update-epic entitled: “A blind pig finds TWO acorns”… (Here I am sitting and responding to my own post re hard/iron water.)

This is rich and worth sharing.

Last evening, perusing the net, checking out water filter systems… just to get up to speed on iron-water things. What I determined was a mini dedicated iron-water filter system might be like $500. Oh well. So much for that…. Bottled water is cheaper.

So, today, in Mt Pleasant Home Depot, swing through the plumbing department and land in the filters department.

It went like this: Some gal standing there talking to a middle aged HD employee (Hde) about her water problems and the cost of a home treatment system $2-3 grand for such a system. I stood patiently off to the side and listened until she went on with her shopping.

Me to Hde: “Sounds like I might have the same problem as that gal?”
Hde: “What is your water problem?”
Me: “Iron, like world class 50/50 water/iron”
Hde” Yeah we just put in a new well, It really didn’t start to clear until we really used it for a month or so. If it just sits there, you will have iron problems. Let me tell ya what I just did for my 90 year old grandma. I put in two of those filters in parallel and it took out 90% of the iron (points to filter holder gizmos and the charcoal filter inserts). That did it”.
Me: “It did, eh?”
Hde: “Yeah, I was just up there at her b‘day party. She lives on an island in the Straits called Boyz Blank island“
Me: (Thinking to myself “Beam me up… Scotty…”) “What’s her name?”
Hde: “Last name is Sullivan, just around the corner from the ferry”

Small world? Go figure. Wander into HD looking for a solution to a BBI well water iron problem and bump into some employee/guy who has been there and done exactly that.

So I bought it on his recommendation… and will see if he knows what is what.

$50 poorer for the wisdom and forthcoming experiment.

Go figure.

TD/C
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...that's uncanny

btw-congrats on the new purchase. It's nice not to have to sleep in the truck. Smile

http://www.bridge-view.net
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world is right! I'm a member of a digital photography forum and met Graham Whipple's cousin there.. He is also chums with Judge Horn who was the judge in my home town in Arenac County... Shocked Very Happy
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Incoming!!!! Run for cover... Reply with quote

Cool Yes Conis that is a great find i saw pics of that acorn and that is no ordinary nut....Good luck on the new homestead and an iron filter will work wonders for you...... Regards, Kevin ........ Always like to read your posts to get a down to earth spin on things...................... Idea
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Conis!!! Would love to see your new place and finally meet you. We'll be up several times in the next few weeks - I'm driving a white Ford E250 cargo van. Not staying back on Thompson, though... Wink

Dan
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: new question: Reply with quote

New/old digs has a state of the art woodburner in it. Works for me and make the most sense. Insurance company likes it too, for the $$$ stupid surcharge imposed by having a woodburner.

Who provides propane to the island? And how much is it a gallon this year? $3.00 gallon? Rent on a 100 gallon tank?

It has been suggested I replace the woodburner with a pellet stove. And I am giving this some thought.

Any Input?

C
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: stove Reply with quote

Be carefull of the Deer Pellets - they have to dry first! Very Happy
Hope to meet you the first weekend in Oct - THe Iowa gang, what's left of them, will be up..........Ron
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: stove Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
Be carefull of the Deer Pellets - they have to dry first! Very Happy
Hope to meet you the first weekend in Oct - THe Iowa gang, what's left of them, will be up..........Ron

I wouldn't miss it. I forecast a lame joke festival.

I was thinking wet pellets cause they last longer.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: