Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Dillinger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyin-Gators
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Dillinger Reply with quote

Howdy, first post here.

Was it Dillinger who hid out on the island? Were there any other mobsters/criminals that hid out on the island?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was....some parts of the cabins he supposedly hid in are still there and on the little island tour they have put together. My brothers probably know if there was anyone else.

If you take a stinky poo, best you flush that #2! LOL!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Flyin Gator! Glad to see your post... If we could convince our Island Historians to come to the sight more often we would probably get more details for you about the Purple Gang.. Bois Blanc used to be quite the gathering place for party animals. Now it's more like a hiding place only not for gangsters.. Very Happy
Flyin-Gators
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks...I saw the picture of one of his cabins in the album...I forget who posted it though...I have seen it before on one of my many adventures on the island, but I didn't know who it belonged to...

Anyone know how long he hid out and who was with him if anyone?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Lori Doughty posted pics.......
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: The Hidden Dillinger Cabin? Reply with quote

Not very far, as the crow flies, west from the Dillinger Cabins on Firetower Rd. is another cabin. Do not even think about trying to get to it though the woods. All that is left is the cast iron cook stove. It is located just about on the government lot line between lots 6&7, Sec. 23 where it hits the north shore of the east Twin Lake (Duncan). Best to canoe to it or snowmobile. If anyone has any information on this site, please let me know. It is so remote & isolated.
yooper lynn
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dillinger Reply with quote

Flyin-Gators wrote:
Howdy, first post here.

Was it Dillinger who hid out on the island? Were there any other mobsters/criminals that hid out on the island?

The Isle was just a cooling off place, while He was heading to the "Soo", where they would "hole"up at his sister'r house. Married name of "Steve",. Iwent to school with his nephew in the "50"s. Name of Kenny Steve, Who was very adept at "souping" up our cars. Mostly "35" to "40"'s fords
boismatized
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up there last month and saw one of the cabins. It seems to be a grey area as to whether it's fact or fiction. Never the less it's definitely interesting. If the story is true it appears that it was something the people at the time didn't want to advertise. I personally am leaning on the side of that He was there. Anyway, found an interesting web site by an author that visited and wrote a great deal on the subject. Visit: www.odessafile.com/F-CabinsInTheMist.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: