Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

BBi has got da Blight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: BBi has got da Blight? Reply with quote

I understand BBI twp has (or is going) to pass a blight control ordinance?

>>Does this imply that property owners with piles of junk and/or deceased 1957 trailers littering the woods will be obligated to clean up the mess(s) or otherwise pay the bill to have it done (by the twp)?

It seems to me (personal editorial opinion) that there are dozens of these old useless shacks and rat trap trailers littering BBI. Roofs caved in, windows broken out... unattended and abandoned for 10-20 years. Aside from nasty ghetto-like appearance, they diminish surrounding property values. Would an enforceable blight ordinance permit these delapidated "structures" to be condemned and therefore legally removed as a public nuisance?

I really don't have a problem with older "rough looking camps" so long as they are kept up and usable, aesthetics are subjective. Abandoned and unsafe is another issue.

AND

I understand BBI zoning is/has gone through some updating and revision.
Anyone have any details on this?

C
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No details but very interesting. I guess I've never really had a problem with the old trailers scattered about the island....kind of added to the lore and mystique of the island. But hey...if they have to be cleaned up, so be it.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right with you, Brad.

Abandoned trailers, shacks and junk vehicles are eyesores. But, I've come to know many of them on BBI and would almost kinda miss them if they were gone. They each have some little story to tell. It is really amazing to watch the earth reclaim some of these things - cars with trees growing inside them, buildings whose foundations are no longer discernable from the surrounding ground. Of course, I understand such artifacts create an "attractive nuisance" for vandals and kids, and they certainly can diminish property values.

Anyway, I'm all for cleaning up the place (having removed a couple of "junk" vehicles from BBI myself Wink )... but it's tough to draft an ordinance that imposes "just the right sort" of limitations without threatening the freedoms we treasure. I don't want to be ticketed if the pickup I leave parked on my property develops a flat tire while I'm gone. Rolling Eyes

Dan
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but it's tough to draft an ordinance that imposes "just the right sort" of limitations without threatening the freedoms we treasure. I don't want to be ticketed if the pickup I leave parked on my property develops a flat tire while I'm gone.

One flat tire is good to go.

4 flat tires and a tree growing up through the floorboard and out of a broken windshield might be a clue she's a goner.

Im there with ya on the precivilized sentimental relics. But then again, crap and litter and decomposing junk strewn about is pretty much just that?

Around here, everyone has a junk dump "out in the back"... because they can. Next neighbors just cleaned up and buried a 40 year old one. Since they did that, the number of possums, coons and feril cats has dropped by 90%. Huge eyesore, gone (added bonus).

I recall one of the (poll) things many valued about BBI was "pristene". If that is so, then a move toward erasing the parkit/ditchit slob era would be a step in this direction.

One mans trash is another mans treasure!

C
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: It's not trash, it's character Reply with quote

Here's a formal invitation to share your favorite Bob-Lo Bungalow - Check out the Contest section of the photo Album.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

charlie loved your pictures .. !!!

I am wondering if a terroirist has put something in the water of those folks that are thinking up all these new rules ....

I AM SERIOUS !! Exclamation

also just for a little info .. I do not even know who all is on the board .... or which board .. school board or township board ...... so its not directed at anyone .. this is just my true feelings ... what the heck is happening over on that island ?????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fact or fiction?
islandbird
Quote:
In case anyone is interested the St. Ignace News is now on line and it has info on BBI that even the islanders do not know.Like the new blight law that was passed Aug. 10th.

St Ignace news:
Quote:
By Ryan Schlehuber
A new blight ordinance is in place on Bois Blanc Island and it targets building material, “junk vehicles,” and trash in general. The township ordinance is backed by a new civil infraction ordinance that allows the Mackinac County Sheriff or township building inspector to issue citations when a violation... (full story available on line)

I was told (at the twp hall) that some changes had been made in zoning. I don't know what these changes are, but an updated zoning booklet would be available soon (probably about now).

I was also told that under previous zoning guidelines, a "large number of variances" had to be approved prior to issuing any construction permits.

I have been informed that most septic systems on BBI are now costing between $8-10k because they are elaborate engineered above ground systems (short version). This due to specs mandated by Mackinaw county.

Someone who has (or can obtain) this information needs to in order seperate fact from rumor/speculation. And then take it from there.

C

PS, the "outhouse thing": This is a recent state wide health dept mandate, just not on BBI.

You can have an outhouse but not a "pit toilet". The outhouse has to have a concrete (pumpable) vault under it =$$$. If you have a remote primative "camp" without electricity, and where indoor plumbing isn't feasable, you are also allowed to have an outside well with pitcher pump. BUT this camp is for "family use only" and if power comes in (or a generator is used), then the place has to have a septic and indoor plumbing, like it or not.

If you don't believe me, I have the link to this HD variance and can dig it up and post it.

Inch by inch, step by step. And you wonder what tempts landowners to bend the rules and DIY. Need an attorney to sort through the rules, 6 mos to jump through the hoops and get the permits-permit... then a small fortune to pay for the permits let alone actually conform to the way the state like things done?

The good old days are long gone.

Last edited by Conis on Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: It's not trash, it's character Reply with quote

Charlie Trie wrote:
Here's a formal invitation to share your favorite Bob-Lo Bungalow - Check out the Contest section of the photo Album.

I like em! Especially the "Free-needs work" one!

4-5 years ago, a pro photogapher went around Beaver Island and photographed all the class outhouses which was turned into a "B.I. outhouse of the month" calander which sold thousands! I can see some posibilities with a BBI trailer camp edition?

By the way. There may be a number of "Bob Lo Bungalows" on the island...There is but one "BBBungle-O", I conied and claim that one! The sign is made and going up in a couple days!
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps by leaving abandoned vehicles and such, it'll help scare away hopeful developers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: