Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Attn Deer Hunters! Part II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islendbird wrote:
I was told a 170 lb. 8 point was taken by Michael Sears (his first) during bow season this year and his dad got a six point..

Thats a respectable buck anywhere! They are there. BBI is a big island!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s a deer camp story, circa 1967 or ‘68... Which would have made me a high school junior or senior at the time. I was dating this gal (neighbor besides) who’s father had a camp near Lac LaBelle in Kewenaw county. This was the second time there, and one of my hunting buddies “John” was also invited.

(As I sit typing and trying to reconstruct this episode of juvenile stupidness… I am thinking maybe you would have had to been there?. Maybe we have all “been there”?)

This camp was comprised of maybe 20 men, half of which actually hunted…(or remained sober enough to hunt) Of the half that hunted, half were serious about it. One or two bucks was about it for the two week season. Because we were the newbee kids, we just got pounded on with the jokes, humiliation, washing dishes… just brutal hazing. And we loved every minute of it.

There really weren’t a lot of ethics/rules. Just things you did and didn’t do. Like shoot a deer out the window of camp or a car, shoot a deer in the water. Shoot a deer with another hunter in between. Pretty much common sense stuff.

One afternoon, I and John were granted use of the old IH Scout to go check for deer activity at a place we were shown on the map. Of course we were profoundly lost in no time and way back in BFE on some remote two track. We rounded a bend and there stood a HUGE buck right in the middle of the trail. I stopped and we discussed our options which seemed obvious to both us . SHOOT IT! Drag a big buck like this back to camp and we automatically gained major prestige. So we thought.

John is riding shotgun (literally) grabs the rifle out of the back seat and jams a shell in it. Down goes the window, out goes the rifle and BAWOOM! The buck stands there for a few seconds and wanders off into the woods, unscathed. I cussed out John for being a P. poor shot and that was that… head back to camp.

Next morning at breakfast. “Merv” who was camp senior and owner of the scout says, “SO, BOY’S… You gonna be doing any more road hunting today? I seen John shoot at that deer out of the scout window…” and gave us both the evil look of profound disapproval. (Yikes! We were busted. How in the hell did Merv know what we did? Did John leave the spent casing on the floor? No I saw him put it in his pocket. Was he following us? Not a chance…We followed our own tire tracks to find our way back out. HOW DID HE KNOW?

Complete dead silence at the table for about 10 seconds. One guy couldn’t take it and broke up laughing and then the whole table went hysterical as we sat there like the white-faced stooges that we were. Later that morning, I was tipped off to go look at he scout.

John had shot the radio antenna clean off the right front fender. Nice little crescent / cut which could have only been made by a bullet. A little spent powder on the remaining 1” stub really sealed the obvious.

Boys will be boys and men are just smarter boys…

We had been HAD, again.
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to change the subject but the Mackinaw Bridge building documentary is on the history cannel. (good stuff)
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the show on the macinac bridge, did you notice the closing shot of macinac, round, and bois blanc? Good show all around.
Island Dreamer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that you said that Dave, because I got all excited and yelled to my old lady to hurry and look. Our island looked real nice. (very interesting program)
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this one out: Michigan-sportsman... new deer cam!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116582
islendbird

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.cheboygannews.com has 185lb. 12 point on the front page today. taken down the Alpena state road.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Statistic. A Tragic Loss

On thursday evening 11/17, I lost an old and trusted friend of 29 years in a fatal hunting accident. I am still in shock as is the entire community.

Denny was one of the most experianced, competent and safety-minded hunters I have ever known. No one is exactly sure how this happened. It just doesn't add up. He would be the absolute LAST person I would ever think this might happen, to.

With that said. Everytime we jump in the car and run to the store... we take a risk. That risk well in excess of the above. I will sit in my blind tonight, as always... As Denny would have wanted me to do.

Details from todays Mount Pleasant paper:

http://www.themorningsun.com/stories/111905/loc_riley001.shtml

Be careful, my friends.

C
islendbird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss...
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry to hear this, Terry. I feel so bad for you. I have lost some friends. It killed me. My thoughts are with you.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stories like this really show how important it is for everyone to be safe. I try to be as safe as I can so I can take my 8 and 3 year old boys hunting with me some day. I owe it to them and my wife to take the needed precautions.

So sorry that this happened Conis.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Be Careful! Reply with quote

Be MORE THAN Careful!

The moral of the story is you cannot be careful enough... and things can change forever in a fraction of a second.

I have done some research into hunting accidents. Someone shooting themself with a long gun is the least probable and usually involves blatent carelesness, a loaded gun in a car, building or gun case. Which doesn't apply, here. This was a weird fluke where things simply went all wrong all at once. In that split second, the safety was off when it shouldn't have been.

This man was a veteran hunter, a member of the Safari International and has literally hunted all over the world his entire life. Not exactly a once a year weekend warrior deer slayer. Totally familiar with safe firearms handling. As I said, he would have been the absolute last person I would ever expect something like this, to happen, to... But it did... and because he was NOT focused on his rifle when he should have been.

What actually happened will be speculation forever. No one else was there. As speculation stands, he had left his blind and was on his way in when he most probably spotted a deer and took a crack at it, and quickly reloaded (bolt action). He was decending a snow covered slope, probably quickly...to get another shot and lost his footing, dropped the rifle, safety off by oversight and... At least thats how it looked and was pieced together by the police. An educated guess at best.

Like Denny, I have hunted since I was 12 and had gun safety absolutely pounded in by my dad. This was way before kids were required to take hunter safety classes ( Which has grossly reduced accidents since implemented...AMEN). I have seen a couple close calls and there are some I just wouldn't go afield with because they are lax/careless. I have spent a lot of hours shooting in indoor ranges... safety comes first. One infraction and forever barred. period. Denny knew all of this, too which makes it that much harder to believe.

This year, I have been hunting from a tower blind. Obviously, The last thing I do is load the rifle once seated and vice versa. And I check my safety to the point of being paranoid, make sure it didn't get bumped off or something. And it doesn't go off until I am absolutely ready to shoot, ever. I suppose... over the years... I have trained myself to always put the safety ON when the rifle is lowered from shooting position, ALWAYS.

Yeah well. Since this accident... thinking it could be remotely possible to drop a loaded rifle from the blind. I thought about tying the rifle to the blind seat. Instead, I leave the bolt open without a cartridge in the chamber. It only takes a second to close the bolt and actually load the rifle.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people (or themselves). Accidents are always from carelessness or oversight. Firearms don't have minds of their own and are only as safe or dangerous as the person operating it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was a personal loss, no doubt about that. It is a much larger loss for the entire community. Denny was TRULY the spirit and force of this community. Things will NOT be the same around town without him... all changed in a split second. I suppose you would have had to know him.

His funeral will be tuesday, in Mt Pleasant. They expect between 1500 and 2000 to attend... All of Blanchard and all of his friends. And a teary one, it will be.

C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: