Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lee Grande Ranch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Lee Grande Ranch Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Legrande ranch Reply with quote

Very Happy It is great to see a large tract of land stay whole...All we ever see is land being constantly chopped up...The state sells many of its small unneeded parcels to raise money for this exact purpose.....Imagine that progress over politics...Can you believe it???? Good news....Definitely a worthy post.....Regards, Kevin.... Very Happy Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is huge!

I just hope this deal... is as we are told!

C
islendbird

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to radicaly change the subject but... I see in both Cheb Tribune and IR Resorter that the rr grade along the west side of Mullet Lake is still closed to sled traffic. Our tax$$ at work and all the big money property owners along the lake has stalled this out with lawyers and law suit threats etc. 90% of those landowners are summer season, anyway/only.

Does the DNR not appreciate what a huge +$$$ impact opening this trail between IR and Cheboygan would have on both economies? And hurt what? Alanson booms in the winter with the trail between Petosky and Mack City. Opening the trail would bring in sled traffic from Gaylord and many other points south if IR. The whole situation is just lame.

I use to say that DNR stood for "Do Nothing Right" and I guess this could be applied. For this reason, I am skeptical about what will or won't happen with the Legrand Ranch purchase. The only thing the DNR will do is a study about it. About like they have done with the rr grade situation for the last 5 years... still stuck in study land.

So at least I got that off my chest.

C
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Lee Grande Ranch Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the DNR spent their money wisely or not - I'll leave this up to you - the way I understand it is that they paid a huge chunk of money - for an conservation easement on the ground - Unless I'm wrong - they do not have ownership, that stays with the Owner (Harry Peterson) they just have the right to use it - Is that a bargain???
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron

Who knows.

The way I understood it was this was to be part of the trail system which was the original reason it was aquired in the first place. The property was owned by the railroad. I don't think it is an easement.

Then the lawyers got into it via a class action effort by a few Mullet Lake property owners, most by Grandview beach and up toward Topinabee. DNR went ahead anyway with a non motorized trail but only if and until they could find an alternative.

So here it is, 5 years later, and they have found zippo.

The other 99.9% of Mullet Lake prop owners seem to care less. This trail would be used for what? 12 weeks when no one is around, anyway?

I don't know whay the DNR just doesn't tell the ones who blocked this to stuff it and open it up... and see what happens. This whole thing amounts to an exercise in stupidness at the huge economic expense of both Indian River and Cheboygan.

This isn't my opinion. This is the consensus of opion of all locals in the area except a handfull with a bunch of money.

I may not have all my facts straight, either. but this is the gist of it.
C

I have the Resorter with this article on the kitchen table, I am going to go read it again.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Lee Grande Ranch Reply with quote

Actually Conis - I was referring to the Lee Grande ranch - I think the owner retains possession and may also gets a tax break on the ground and the DNR has the right to say how it is used - In some cases, if there are farming practices going on, they may continue, so I'm not sure how this will shake out. Look up on a search for "conservation easement"

I've always said - It's a good thing we are not getting all the government we are payin for!!!!!!
C Ya........Ron
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lee Grande Ranch Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
Actually Conis - I was referring to the Lee Grande ranch - <snip>I've always said - It's a good thing we are not getting all the government we are payin for!!!!!!
C Ya........Ron

I agree. As far as the DNR is concerned, we pay a lot and get nothing. My only point is I hope they don't fumble the LeGrand Ranch aquisition as bad as they have the west Mullett lake trail.

From the Tribune:
http://www.cheboygannews.com/articles/2005/12/12/news/news1.txt

I re read the article in the Straitsland Resorter. "Scathing" would be an understatement (in reference to the DNR).

If you are bored: Open the www.Cheboygannews.com site, click on archives and go back a week or so through present. Some really interesting articles on the LeGrand Ranch, DNR and Cormorants (another do nothing epic), and the Cutter crash with good photos. Also pleased to read that Cheb County has come to their senses and canned all the proposed waterfront re zoning.

C
islendbird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile .

Last edited by islendbird on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Le grande ranch.... Reply with quote

Even if it is the nature conservancy trying to get their hands on that land it will be a big victory...They are a dedicated group that are passionate about what they do.....Regars, Kevin....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: