Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Beech Tree Disease on BBI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Beech Tree Disease on BBI? Reply with quote

Anyone knowledgeable on the beech tree fungus/disease/problem on the west end? I talked to a DNR forrester last summer. I am not up to speed...

C

found these links

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/beechbark/fidl-beech.htm

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10369_36152-128400--,00.html

Last edited by Conis on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: beech trees Reply with quote

I heard about this too. There is definitely something attacking the beech trees as seen on their leaves. I was told it will wipe 'em out. True? If so, that is sad.
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda makes ya wonder if the problem stems from stuff being brought over to the island, much like the ash borer.

Are there any regulations about bringing over firewood or other possible mediums for invasives?

if not there should be...
gene pluhar
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the damage on west end last fall and was told that infestation blew in from UP and was moving east at about one and half miles per year! timber is still good for milling dead or alive! i was wondering if a cut line might prevent futher movement? what a loss if something can't be done,bbi has a great many native beech and are fantastic for habitat,breeding, food source and just to look at and enjoy!!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it blew in from the UP - it would take a pretty good sized cut line!! - It's a shame - we lost all of our elms in Iowa over the last 30 years - New one try to come back, but usually keep right on dying
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Beech trees Reply with quote

There is something about a dormant stage in this disease cycle.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know guys...

I didn't do alot of in depth study. It sounds like it is a mold/fungus with airborn spores. Theory is it came from eastern UP... downwind...
I don't know if doing a "surgical" cut around the area would slow it down or not. I do know that beech is at least 40% of BBIs hardwood and there are some old-big ones. I guess I was wondering if the DNR had any ideas on slowing/stopping the spread.. if anyone knew more?

I am not wanting to be a downer here. This is something that deserves attention. I got the heads up on this from a DNR forrester who lives a couple doors down from my PR camp... The conversation came around and he mentioned BBI being in his management district. This conversation was months ago when this problem first came to notice.

I spent most of the afternoon researching the Ash Borer (EAB)for updates. I am on the fringe area of the moving infestation and looking at my options with 70% white ash on my 20acres here in central Mi. Not if, but when and what is plan B ($$$ innoculating trees one by one is plan B)

In my research, I concluded that the list of trees with some dire alien disease is greater than unaffected species. Oak, ash, birch, white pine, maples... not inclusive of the goners like elm and chestnut.

What I am getting is that if this is going to be controlled on BBI, some action has to be taken this year... like ASAP and maybe radical. You can see the foothold in the 100 acres or so driving to the west end... and that was last year. And probably only what can be seen from the road.

It goes beyond that; Beechnuts being feed for deer squirrels etc, Save this for later.

Good news? I havent seen all that much white ash on BBI. What is there maybe spared from EAB unless someone brings it to the island via firewood.

I have no answers or comments except to say this is worthy of concern...

C
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Beech trees Reply with quote

John Elmer Engel wrote:
There is something about a dormant stage in this disease cycle.

I skimmed the articles re this disease. Appears the only thing that will "take out" this fungus/disease is brutally cold temps... like -30... or power washing it off trees. So either of these options aren't that realistic?

PS... My DNR forrester/neighbor/bud has since moved, closer to Indian River. Next trip up, see if I can't contact him. "Dan" would be the horses mouth... Dan knows his stuff... educated in forestry and decision/management for the DNR. He doesn't abide by DNR, he makes the decisions... Conis will do a deep recon/probe ontoit....next chance...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ more...

Studied up a bit more: Occures to me that if this beech fungus can blow across the north straits and land on BBI, keeping from blowing across BBI might be easier said than done?

I have been looking up proposed "biological controls" for some of these tree diseases... what is being researched at MSU etc.

One thing that I found interesting was regarding the Ash Borers. We all know they have about wiped out all the ash trees in SE michigan and are spreading into the forests of Northern Lower. Not if but when...

I read an article about EAB in Minnisota, also a problem there but nowhere near the scope of Michigan, probably because they knew what to look for in advance. It started in an urban area (Minniapolis?) and was translocated to a hardwood forest some 100 miles to the north, maybe by firewood?

The biologists stated the birds wouldn't eat them because they didn't know what they were? Well, apparently the birds (in Minnisota) have figured out they are food and there has been a population explosion of woodpeckers and Jays in this infested area... which seem to be holding the EABs in check?

What do the birds in Minnisota know... that the same species in Michigan haven't figured out yet? There was some discussion of Importing Mn Jays and woodpeckers into Michigan to create EAB eating strains of same?

This sort of makes sense in a weird sort of way. In SE michigan, The EABS had open season on the ash trees. There just aren't the numbers of woodpeckers, jays and songbirds, in general, in developed urban areas as would be found in more natural forest habitats... More food and less natural enemies in the city. Almost like an urban "immune deficiency"

When do the birds begin the recognize the eabs as a food source? How does this work? Does one Jay see another eat one and decide to give it a taste test? What triggers this response? Nature operates on checks and balances from microoganisms all the way up. Nor have we figured it all out.

C

Beeb
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Beech tree disease Reply with quote

I talked to an Urban Forester that I work with, she indicated that its simply a fungus/disease that the older Beech trees come in contact with "naturally?" as they get older. You won't know a Beech has it until you see the bark starting to split and fall off the tree. This is the indication that the tree is also very old. She recommends leaving the tree stand, let it die on its own, and let Mother Nature take care of the rest. However, if there are any younger Beech trees immediately surrounding the diseased one, its better to go ahead and remove the younger ones surrounding it so the disease doesn't spread to the others, which it will, but only from Beech to Beech.

Hope that helps a little.
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, in my hand, a bulletin that was compiled by the Michigan State University Forestry Department. It is a very in-depth, comprehensive report on Beech Bark Disease. (Beech Bark Blight) I was given a copy by Dale Quattrin and using the bulletin number, I contacted the MSU extension office and obtained several more copies. The first copy is free, additional copies are either fifty cents or a dollar a piece. It has color pictures and illustrates the stages of the disease/methods of spread/management etc... in great detail. The bad news is, you can't stop it. The good news is, a percentage of Beech trees has developed a resistance to the fungi/scale. There is too much information to list here. The Bulletin number is E-2746 "Biology and Management of Beech Bark Disease" Reprinted October 2002. I called the Michigan State University Extension Office and had to be transferred several times, call back etc..... So, I don't know exactly what phone number you need to call. But whoever answers the phone should know how to direct you.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Web site Reply with quote

Try this - Tells some of what you are talking about:

www.michigan.gov/dnr/ 0,1607,7-153-10369_36152-128400--,00.html - 27k

If this doesn't work for you, go to google and type:
beech bark blight michigan
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you want more information on the Beech Tree disease, stop by the sawmill and talk with Russ. He has been to a couple of seminars on it and he talked with the DNR too. Last summer you could see it taking it's toll on the west end. Very sad.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture I took Summer 2005...Mike W, my bro, could give you a more exact location....This was close to the north shore towards the light house?? Many trees had these marks...

http://usera.imagecave.com/LizaJane/BBI32005054.jpg
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: I'm looking on the bright side! Reply with quote

Some may recall last summer the long draught we had. I observed that all the leaves on the trees along the road to the west end were hanging, like limp lettuce. Then a very strong wind storm came and flapped those limp leaves in the wind until they looked like frayed old flags on a flagpole. Then the leaves died. I hope these events are connected.

Beech Blight will come or may be here, but I have hope that the trees will look better this summer along the stretch of road where everyone noticed all the dead leaves last summer.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid those trees are the ones which have the disease. The dought probably stresses them more.

I had a long discussion with this situation with my former neighbor who is a DNR forrester. His district includes BBI and he has been out there several times. Best information is on the net, Somewhere, maybe in this thread are links.

C
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Update 2011 Reply with quote

Since 2006, when this conversation began, the beech disease has swept across the entire island. Last year on the baseline east of the Bible farm, I took a few pictures of the large elephant leg's. Beech remind me of that. I took the pictures so that in a few more years, I could look at the pictures to remind me of how the beech forest here once looked. It's so sad.

The trees are now really starting to go down. I noticed that now, even the beech brush has the white mold on them. The light now streams into the forest through the leafless beech trees.

In a year or two, the island two tracks, through hardwoods, will be overwhelmed with downed beech trees. Even this fall, the deer hunters will notice a big change. Deer hunters had better carry a chain saw, to get in to those deep in the forest places.
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beech bark mold has hit the island big time, as Mike White states. Russ has been getting requests from a lot of land owners to get the dead trees along their driveways. Really creates a hazard. This has been a big topic during the forestry recertification classes that Russ takes. Unfortunately nothing can be done, except cut them down. Very sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: