Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Shop Talk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Shop Talk Reply with quote

What camera do you take your pics with? What program do you use to edit/enhance your photos?

I use (it's not mine, it belongs to the body shop that I run) a Sony Mavica FD83 for pictures. I like it because it takes a 3.5" floppy disc, rather than a memory stick or something like that. It's pretty handy to be able to eject the disc from the camera and pop it into the 'puter and see the pics, no cables or stuff like that to mess with. I also dislike it because it takes a 3.5" floppy, if I'm taking large pics 1216 x 912 (which is the largest it will take) it will only fit 5 or 6 pictures on the disc. The camera bag gets pretty bulky after a weekend on the island. It has digital zoom which produces pretty grainy pics, and will shoot color, b&w, sepia & solarize pictures. There are adjustments for bright light & low light conditions. It will also record about a 15 second mpeg with sound which is pretty neat. For photo editing I use ArcSoft Photo Studio which is the program that came with the camera. It's a pretty basic program, but it's done just about everything I've wanted it to.

So, what do you folks use? Pros/Cons?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new camara is an Olympus D-520. Your basic high end digital camara for amateurs.. It has 2.0 megapixal. I don't like the zoom in standard or digital because you blur if you so much as blink if you zoom out fully. I don't think it does so well in natural lighting either. No worry though. As Lisa says, with Photoshop 7 no picture is a bad one... We sure do have fun with it.. And enjoy improving and restoring photos. I'm just learning the ropes about camaras and photo editing so the plus to my picture taking is I save on film!! I can delete and move on.. I can print my own pictures and make framed gifts! I can shoot a little video, send it to my friends.. The camara uses smart media cards. Much less bulk, Rob. And with the card reader attached to my computer it's as easy as a floppy. Almost forgot to mention HQ on my camara is 1600 by 1200..
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Sony/Floppy/Yuk! Reply with quote

I have a Canon A-40. 2 megapixel camera. Great for Family shots and the occasional landscape, if your into that. I don't like the digital zoom on it, but what you have to remember, ( and this goes for regular zoom cameras) that if you are zooming past 200 to 300mm, you should be on a tripod. It will help, but still the photo quality can be disappointing. If you went with a higher megapixel camera, maybe a 3 megapixel. This is better with the digital zoom, but only to an extent. 2 megapixel camera at the standard setting, will give you a photo quality 8x10. Go to a higher setting and you get a dang good 11x14. With my camera, you can get 63 pics on a 64 mg card, at the standard or HQ setting. All beautiful 8x10's if I wanted. (rubbing Rob's nose in it)
If you have USB capability on your computer, you can get a card reader for any of the digital cameras out there. This makes it just as easy as sticking that limited dinosaur of a Floppy into your computer, stay away from the Sony Stick though. It is a pain to find anyone to download off it and it has it's own little annoying quirks.
Smart Media and compact flash have been out there the longest. Susie has Smart Media, I have Compact flash. SM cards look like a wafer with a reading chip on the side. Compact flash has female prong holes to fit to the male prongs in the camera. Some people can get in a hurry and screw the prongs up. Both look great, just compare Susie's pics to mine. There are also SD and XD cards, very small and even bigger storage. You will find these with alot of the newer higher megapixel cameras.
You could purchase a 2 megapixel camera for about $300.00 right now, card reader runs about $40.00, then they eat batteries like no get out, so you should get a battery charger w/ batteries (Ni Metal Hydride) for $45.Charger for car included. 1 hour charging off regular plug, car takes longer, up to 3 hours. You can get 300 images or more off one charge. No memory on these batteries. Mine lasts about a week.
Most come with 8 or 16mg cards, depending on the camera. Olympus, which is what Susie has, has an offer for a free 64 mg card with purchase of the D550 or the C700. Both nice cameras.
Higher Cards are a must, especially if there isn't a computer to download to. They have a 256mb card!
If going to a friends, and they have a CD burner, you can take your card reader and software along and burn a CD. Delete your card and start anew. You can use most these cards over and over , as long as you take care, they should last 5-7 yrs. If you have a laptop, most have USB, some actually have Smart Media or Compact Flash Readers on them.
Storage is a must, get a CD burner, if you don't already have one. Burn all raw images to CD and then work from that so you don't accidently screw something up.
Come by and see us Rob, I would be more than happy to set you up. Lisa
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Photo Programs Reply with quote

I use Photshop 6 or 7. This is my work program and the best out there. $600 to $1000 program. This is what I use for my photo restoration. I can do just about anything. Check out the pic of Susie , Al and I. I took a pic of Susie and Al. Then she took one of Al and I. Then I pasted Susie into the pic of Al and I. If you look at her fingers at his waist I did not complete the blending to show that it was digitally done. To the naked eye it looks as if we were all in the pic together. My boss says I can put Bruno Mali shoes on OJ Simpson, but I think he did that himself! LOL!
I have more examples, before and after, that I plan to put on my website.
Need more info? Let me know..............Lisa
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

That's some awesome photochop work! I've looked at that picture several times and never would have guessed. I never noticed the hand not blended in. You do very nice work! I'll have to make a trip up to T.C. and look at some new camera's I guess. I can't really complain about my Sony since it's free.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Shucks! Reply with quote

Free is not always good.....TeeHee!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#roll_on_floor
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:17 am    Post subject: Meet me in chat..... Reply with quote

Meet me in chat.....
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Just An Amateur! Reply with quote

I use just your basic point and shoot camera. A Canon SureShot Tele80. I absolutely love taking pictures. When I have the pictures developed, I get a set on a CD so I can upload them to my computer and edit them, if needed. I guess you could call me an avid amateur photographer. I'm hoping one day to get a digital camera. I've got some great tips from Lisa and from reading these posts. I love taking all kinds of pictures, but my favorite is landscapes and nature. I'd love to get a camera with a zoom lens so I could get some close-ups of the deer we have wandering around our 5 acres. The Tele80 just isn't good enough for that. I'd like a camera that takes pin sharp, colorful pictures too. The SureShot photos always seem to be blurry and washed out. I do have a photo editing program called MGI PhotoSuite III SE. I borrowed my sister-in-laws digital cameral once and it came with this program on a CD. It doesn't do everything I would like it too, but, hey it was free too! Razz

Maybe I'll use my new website to set-up some kind of business. If it's successful enough, I'll use the money to upgrade to a better camera. thumbs_up!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay you photoshop queens, what's the relationship between pixels and inches? I need to resize some pics that I took so they'll fit in a picture frame and I can't figure it out on my free Embarassed photo editing software. No comments from the peanut gallery about free stuff. #roll_on_floor Or better yet, can somebody make this picture www.bridge-view.net/Kate2/bestpicyet.jpg into a 4"w x 6"h and this picture http://www.bridge-view.net/Kate/disc11/11mvc-012f.jpg 3.5"w x 5"h ?

Rob
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Susie, thanks for doing that for me! Very Happy

Is there a way to convert pixels to inches?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Rob Rob Rob..... Reply with quote

Be more specific.....If you are changing the pixels or resolution, you are changing you "dpi" or dots per inch. Most pics 3x5 or 4x6 should be atleast 70dpi to be printable or photo quality. Which free program are you using? For free...for shame! Tsk! Tsk!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Your Pics Reply with quote

Rob, they looked fine before, sizing for printing? Did you know that inkjet is not forever? If you don't need um to fast, like by Christmas (lol), You could send large files to Blue Photo and I can print them on a Dye Sublimation printer for you. Archival to 70 yrs+. I can ship them out to you. I can bill you too, if thats helpful. Prices are as follows:

4-3.5x5...9.99
4-4x5 or 3.75x5(proportional to digital imgs full frame) 9.99
3-4x6
2-5x7.....9.99
1-8x10...9.99

bluephoto@coslink.net

If you mail a CD, The prices go down...
4 print min/sets of 4
3.5x5
4x5
3.75x5

99 cents each

all other prices by the sheet...9.99
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in the resolutions Rob. Like Lisa said only I'll say it different. When you change the inches it automatically changes the pixels too.. When you change the resolution it can be for several reasons: to upload it to a sight or to resize it are a couple of examples. When I resized your pics I forgot to change the resolution to make them compatable for uploading to this site.. I had to call Lisa to review what I had done to correct my oversight and upload. Both pics are above the 70 Lisa mentioned so will be good print quaility.. If you wanted 5x you have to increase the resolution. Hope this helps.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Pixels Reply with quote

I'm using ArcSoft Photo Studio 2.0SE which came with the camera. The only option I have for resizing a picture is by changing the pixel size. I can not access anything in the program that allows me to resize by inches or cm. So, I'm wondering if there's a specific relationship between pixels and inches. Does 1 inch = 20 pixels? or some kind of ratio like that? I guess I'm assuming that a pixel is a unit of measurement for length, maybe it only has to do with how big it is on the computer screen. Sad

Here's what it looks like:
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahem....still waiting for an answer.... Rolling Eyes

Mr. Green #roll_on_floor Mr. Green #roll_on_floor Mr. Green
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:20 am    Post subject: Rob Rob Rob.... Reply with quote

On your pic of your software it shows resolution at the bottom.....what happens when you change that? Does it change the other numbers? Remember in sizing, 3x5 and 4x6 should not go below 70 dpi, 5x7-100dpi and 8x10, safely 200dpi for resolution. I will look up the pixels per sq inch...but that changes every time you change the size of the pic. I am used to showing someone personally, that is my side business. Hard to explain. I would recommend HPlearningcenter.com and enrolling in Adobe Photoshop classes. They explain dpi and pixels. I took the beginner course, to easy. Then I took the advanced course, I was to busy to finish. But I learned alot up to the 6th lesson. This is all free. If I could get you to Blue Photo, maybe I could give you a few helpful hints in person. Easier to explain. Maybe get you a copy of some more advanced photo software, with more options for sizing. May come in handy, let me know. Sorry I did not get back to you right away. Busy, busy...and now Susie is picking at me about getting the website started. She is such a good sister. We are leaning toward your suggestion of SistersFixPix......
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you choose the crop tool do you get a tool bar where you can put in the pic size in inches? That's good for setting your inch size. It should also have resolution in the tool bar.. Remember the resolutions Lisa listed for the sizes.. There is a lot of variables to this photo editing stuff!! Your resolution is your dpi. For a 3x5, 4x6- 72 dots per inch is good quality for a print. I do 150 for a 5x7 and 200 for 8x10.

4x72=288pixels
6x72=432pixels

See it now?
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa wrote:
On your pic of your software it shows resolution at the bottom.....what happens when you change that? Does it change the other numbers?
No, it doesn't change the other numbers. Actually, I don't think it did anything. I changed a pic from 200 dpi to 10 dpi and printed it and it looked okay, so I think my program is a little "iffy".
Lisa wrote:
Sorry I did not get back to you right away.
Sisters aren't the only ones that can pick. Laughing I'm just teasin' though. I'll have to check out the online courses you're talking about. I guess I'll have to look into upgrading my editing software too. Don't know if I'll be able to justify that much dough for PhotoShop though Shocked
Susie wrote:
When you choose the crop tool do you get a tool bar where you can put in the pic size in inches?
No Sad and when I choose to view the ruler, it only shows pixels, no option for inches. I never shoulda asked that question, now I hate my software. Crying
Susie wrote:
4x72=288pixels
6x72=432pixels

See it now?
So what you're saying is a 4x6 would be 288x432 at 72 dpi? confused

Good Lord, I should just stick to writing estimates on crashed cars.

Thanks for the help.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I'm saying... And you say changing the resolution doesn't change the pixels?? Something IS wrong with your software... Is the photo scanned or from a camera? Did you print a different size? Guess all I can tell you is work with your pixels if you want a bigger picture.... Good luck, Rob!!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: scuse me? Reply with quote

Ahem! Are you done picking our brainS on this? I just wanted to say:
I AM AN ISLAND IDOLIZER!

#Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly #Silly

If you come to Blue Photo, I can set you up with a copy of some thing cool.
Shhh! Don't tell anyone! Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: