Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Posting Hunting Pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Hunting Pictures Be Posted To This Site?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
No
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 27

LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Posting Hunting Pictures Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

This poll is meant for Island residents. Rob is relatively new to the Island and didn't know how you'all would feel about this, so he suggested I create a poll.

I have a wonderful picture I'd like to post of my husband with his first ever Island Buck. Whitetail Deer Hunting on Bois Blanc is a Lower Family Tradition. Made all the more special for me because my son and daughter will be hunting with us now.

But, I don't want to offend anyone. I love Bois Blanc and would never do anything or promote anything to spoil it. I've set up a poll to find out your feelings. Whatever the consensus, I will respect your wishes.

Thank You! Very Happy
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Offended? Reply with quote

In my business, you could imagine, I see alot of Deer Pics. Not offened, but maybe jealous. I don't hunt with a gun, I shoot with a camera. My husband does not hunt, but I wish he would take up the sport. And I refer to my boss going hunting as...killing Bambi, and his hunting trips as Rip Van Winkle, cause he has fallen asleep more times than he has got something. But I was first in line for venison!!! So just to make it fair can we make this a hunting and combination posting too?? I need Venison recipes!!!!! I have burger and steaks! I need help! Thanks! Lisa

Just wait for my sisters post, I am sure she will have something to say on this...but only good. How about some hunting stories too. Everyone has got one!
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Hunting pictures Reply with quote

I can understand why there might be some hesitation. I don't think anyone would be grossed out by any hunting pictures. If the pictures are fantastic, and a lot of people see them as an opportunity to bag their own buck, there might be a mad dash to BBI. I don't think this would happen though. I'm not a hunter, but don't people usually have their favorite places they always go? Even if a few adventurous hunters come over to check out the island, that would not be so bad. It's just more November business. Hasn't the island has been stocked before with deer?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Lana!! The Island did bring in a couple of young bucks to get new blood into the herd. I remember one time Brandon (Clovers boy)was coaxing one of those baby bucks home with a bucket of corn after it has escaped from it's enclosure.. The first year they were released into the wild one was shot!! The following year they decorated Spike with a lot of orange tags and let people be aware of why he was there. Spike was eventually killed too.. Hopefully, while they were out in the wild they had a chance to spread their seed!! I'm not offended by the pictures and congratulate anyone who is lucky enough to get their deer. My husband harvested one this year after 6 years of feeding them, he deserved one..
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to hunt but haven't mentioned on this site until now because I thought other people may be offended. I don't gun hunt on the island but I do make a trip for bowhunting each year.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that I love to hunt too... Mostly to be out there and the food for the soul thing... I use to be an avid small game hunter. Still/stalk
hunting with a 22 rifle. I could hit a partridge in the head while they were still on the ground!! Can't find the time lately.. Ought to make time though. Just for the soul food at least.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly....it is great for the soul. I have not gotten a deer the last two years up during bow season, but you know what?? Who cares! Love being out and enjoying the woods and the uniqueness of BBI.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a city boy, my dad never took me hunting, so I don't hunt. I'm not opposed to hunting though. I've often thought it would be cool to go hunting with a camera to see what I could shoot though. My soul food comes from stream fishing for trout. thumbs_up!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go rabbit hunting with my dad and uncles on the island. I can't bring myself to shoot a deer but I loved to go with everyone just to have fun and was happy when they got one and of course I never turned down any venison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hunt either, but have come from a family of hunters on both sides. It's just not my bag, I hate the loud noise from a gun, but I'm all for it, and love to eat venison. And those tagged deer that were mentioned in the post that Brandon coaxed home with a bucket of corn......well there are still 2 does left here from that original batch. They're names are Red & Pebbles. They're getting old, and when they go, I will surely miss them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Hunting Reply with quote

I don't hunt myself, but I come from an avid hunter and am married to a hunter. I enjoy the venison, but could only shoot it myself if my child was starving. I truly miss Spike (our treat every Christmas Eve was a visit from him!), and his 2 brothers, ZJ and Baldy, but I do believe they did their part to populate! Red and Pebbles continue to fascinate us all. I know hunting is a valid way to keep the herd down so we have healthy deer, but it's hard for me to imagine killing one of those beautiful big brown-eyed creatures when you have fed them! Just my thoughts.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it took my husband sooo long (6 years) to take one.. He's been feeding the same crew and more since we have lived here.. He stands out back and talks to them and they know Bean the dog is no threat.. We watched does bringing up babies and surviving with serious injuries.. They are pretty amazing creatures..
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

...and delicious!!!! Oops, Sorry! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: