Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

What happened to our nice island?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: What happened to our nice island????? Reply with quote

Lately all I've been reading about is people arguing over one subject or other....doesn't anyone have anything positive to say anymore. This website is turning into a dog and cat fight. If you want to object to certain things go to where it might do some good....go to a township meeting. They will love to hear everyone's view...not that they will accept them but they will listen.

So let's clean up this nice website so everyone can enjoy what we have to offer on the island. Tell the good things that happen there....not all is bad.

Have a good summer on the island to all that are coming. I hope to meet some of you that I don't know. Very Happy
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken nana. This has been a particularly negative day on the old BBI site. I might even be responsible for a little of that negativity. I feel bad. I'm sorry y'all and I'll try to be nicer in the future. Very Happy

Last edited by West End Piper on Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

My comment here is freedom of speech ..

The island is a wonderful place BUT its not a perfect place ..

Believe you me I lived there .. I know !! Those meetings can get pretty wild ...

This site is for us to share how we feel .... so be it .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of life's great challenges is trying to remain civil when discussing issues we really care about (and if we didn't care about the island, we wouldn't take the time to write). Having said that, I think overall these forums have remained pretty civil and rational, especially considering the diversity of the folks who share their opinions. And compared to what passes as political discourse in the world at large, I think we are doing great!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes subjects which hedge on politics have opposing views, and the discussion isn't as polite or pretty as it could be, This doesn't diminish importance of bringing things into the open. There are no right or wrong opinions. The only bad opinion is no opinion?

I think it fair to ask that before you hit the send button, you ask yourself is the post productive and going somewhere... or confrontation for confrontation sake? It isn't what you say, but how you say it?

If people can't express opinions and feelings on this site, then there is no use of posting on it and we are reduced to discussions about the weather.

I have seen some very positive-insightful discussions take place. The bad ones just burn themselves out. I am glad to see more people adding to the discussions!

C
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Islandnana about it getting a little heated lately. But....controversy, opposing viewpoints, and political diversity make for interesting reading. (Some of these posts even make me laugh!)
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I've liked the most about this site is that it reflects the island! We all don't always agree about everything! We all agree we love the island, but our thoughts of how things should go are very different.
The important thing, I think is that we're all talking instead of being totally adrift about things until the next visit. Heck, I've appreciated just having the birth and death notices!
Things do get edgy sometimes. We all seem a passionate bunch. What amazes me is to compare this forum to the rest of the world! We're civil! And I'm not so sure we would all be this civil if we didn't have this place of beauty we share.
Besides, spring is here. Maybe we've all got lack-of-cabin fever!
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree everyone has a right to their own opinion and should be able to discuss things on this website. I was just referring to the fact that things were getting totally out of hand....especially the discussion on Walmart. Some people have lower incomes so Walmart is all they can afford.... been there done that.

We get enough problems going on the island at the township meetings which someone referred to in response to my question. I too have lived there for 15 years so know all about all the problems. My husband was involved on several island boards so I had first hand knowledge of things as they were happening.

So, I have my Freedom of Speech the same as you. I just want to see a little more positive on this site instead of negative.... let's start out day out fresh. The island will be booming soon and hopefully it will be a wonderful summer.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside on Wal-Mart: a healthy discussion seems reasonable since it may be the largest employer in this country, the largest grocery store, and accounts for 1/4 to 1/3 of all new retail in the US. Although governments set minimum wage levels, Wal-Mart has become the fall back job/wage for much of the country. Locally, it seems to me that Cheboygan itself demonstrates much of the 'Wal-Mart effect'.

Three articles this week are good food for thought:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/12/AR2006041202186.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114489316455024796.html?mod=crnews

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060413/BIZ01/604130310/-1/back01

I relate this to BBI in the ferry discussion:

Desire for a second ferry largely revolves around competition which can hold prices down. But cheap pricing needs a cheap boat, a cheap lease, and low overhead....or more traffic.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the civility of this site and discussion is not enhanced by such phrases as <<Oh, look! A monkey just flew outta my butt!!>> << It all stinks to high heaven of BS.>> <<My chain has been yanked enough.>> <<My Bullsh*t -ometer goes wild everytime I read one of his posts.>> etc.

Civil discourse isn't enhanced with references to feces, genitalia, and other parts of the body. Is this the way folks talk to their mothers? Should children's access to this site be restricted via net-nanny?

I don't mind hard swings at ideas and opinions. But I'm bothered by ad hominem attacks. If your intuition or experience tells you that something is not likely to be true, or correct; so be it. Do we need 'BS Meters'?

It's Good Friday.
Easter's a nice time to reflect. The Earth begins its season of rebirth.

Ciao
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave this a little reflection last night.
This forum is like a family. We all share this deep connection to a beautiful place we share. It keeps us coming back again and again.
And like most families, we have diverse opinions about the world in general and how it affects what links us all.
This weekend, like a lot of you, I'll be getting together with my real family. We'll eat, go over what we've all been up to, trade stories. Some topics won't come up at all because nobody likes a huge arguement that will only result in hurt feelings. A few topics will come up because one or more people feel so passionate that even if it's a little uncomfortable, it should be talked through. A lot of topics will come up because of shared interests or concerns.
I think if we treat this forum as a family (watch your language around the kiddies, don't say something just to be hurtful, no name-calling,don't pick a fight for no reason), it will stand up to the diverse opinions, healthy debate, and still be a great place to share photos, memories and hope for the future.
Can someone give me an update on how the various plants and trees are doing this spring?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the beginning of handshakes and head nods, I'm glad.. This is such a nice gathering place, warts and all. I'm also glad to see soo many taking advantage of the boards and the chance to get to know each other.. Smile
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry you were offended Charlie. There are a few of us that try to monitor posts for offensive material, but we don't want to censor everything either. I know it is hard though to read someones true meaning in these posts, thats why we encourage the use of the emoticons.. Razz Razz
I believe this is a great family site, I have never been on another where most people treat each other so nicely. Sure, there are some questionable posts, but I don't think anyone is being blatently nasty. Very Happy

Shrug What do you think Rabin?

Last edited by Troy on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Charlie, since you have chosen to critique my style of expression....Chew on this.....

IMHO, The civility of this site and discussion is not enhanced by direct insults and/or personal attacks such as: "Your behavior is moronic!" or "On BBI my biggest fear is idiots!" Look familiar?

That's right reverend. They're both yours, and I only looked over a fraction of your posts. (My computer is so darn slow) So, get off of your high-horse and suck it up! In my short time participating on this site, you have easily been the least civil poster here. Those in glass houses........
Rabin Zakanowitz
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you think Rabin? Happy Happy Happy
ithink that if i am meen to growler or chomper they will bit me. i cussed to uncle milf once and he wonked me with his wooden leg so i never said it again. bein meen is bad bein nice is good. if i cant say somthin nice i stuff a sock in my mouth. me an growler and chomper and ant bernice and uncle milf and cletus are coming to boise island real soon because everyone is so nice there and treets us like we is normal.

rz
me2
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I haven't been around very long, but if its true you used phrases like: "Your behavior is moronic!" or "On BBI my biggest fear is idiots!",
you have no right to question the civility of anyone else.

Oh, and if your offended by someone saying: "My chain has been yanked enough", you need to find another site to frequent.

Have a nice day! Very Happy
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough is enough, let's move forward.

http://www.bridge-view.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: